British Speedway Forum

Any signs that the 'new' greyhound track is being marked out as well?

10 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Any signs that the 'new' greyhound track is being marked out as well?

Would imagine that has already been done, but only on paper, otherwise the marks going across the speedway track would get obliterated each meeting or session of track preparation, in order to know where the outside limits of the new track can be.  

On 9/11/2018 at 4:21 PM, dump that clutch said:

Get the track right and the fans will be happy, although the whingers will still find something to get their nails into

Get the track right and the fans will be happy, there will then be no whingers I feel sure.

Fast forward to last night at King's Lynn and Oh what a Poor Show - I have to rate it as the worst meeting I have seen at KL. In 12 races out of 15 there was nothing of note after exiting the 2nd bend 1st lap ( now common everywhere ). Purely processional.

I can only assume that Swindon agreed to use Scott Campos sight unseen because it was a disgrace parading such an obviously unfit and out of shape rider as competitive. He then proved that on track. After quite a number of years, he could not turn the bike properly. Any other.young rider would have benefited from the experience. What a pity that they did not get the chance. A shame to be wearing a Robin's race jacket at the "top" level of racing. As for the choice of Pijper as a guest reserve, was he the only rider available with the right average? Except for being passed at the last moment in one race, he added almost nothing to the proceedings.

24 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Fast forward to last night at King's Lynn and Oh what a Poor Show - I have to rate it as the worst meeting I have seen at KL. In 12 races out of 15 there was nothing of note after exiting the 2nd bend 1st lap ( now common everywhere ). Purely processional.

I can only assume that Swindon agreed to use Scott Campos sight unseen because it was a disgrace parading such an obviously unfit and out of shape rider as competitive. He then proved that on track. After quite a number of years, he could not turn the bike properly. Any other.young rider would have benefited from the experience. What a pity that they did not get the chance. A shame to be wearing a Robin's race jacket at the "top" level of racing. As for the choice of Pijper as a guest reserve, was he the only rider available with the right average? Except for being passed at the last moment in one race, he added almost nothing to the proceedings.

I don't know how they chose the guests, but it was stated earlier in the day that they were having problems finding anyone who was available.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Odds On said:

and people are still convinced that a new stadium will be built?...

Mr Russell has stated that there will be one installed very soon and that the next door neighbours are in harmony with having an exciting motorcycle facility on their doorsteps ( literally). What is there not to believe?

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

Mr Russell has stated that there will be one installed very soon and that the next door neighbours are in harmony with having an exciting motorcycle facility on their doorsteps ( literally). What is there not to believe?

are you aware of the history of the owners of the stadium and new stadiums being built?

32 minutes ago, Odds On said:

are you aware of the history of the owners of the stadium and new stadiums being built?

Yes, I was typing "tongue in cheek" of course, nothing will come of these "plans" / dreams. If you lived next door and weren't a speedway fan, what would you think of the idea? 

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Yes, I was typing "tongue in cheek" of course, nothing will come of these "plans" / dreams. If you lived next door and weren't a speedway fan, what would you think of the idea? 

sorry for taking the post the wrong way, to be honest even with being a speedway fan I wouldn't want a track in close proximity to my house, would you?

4 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

The speedway track was there many moons before the houses were being built, the house owners knew what they were buying and should have taken that into consideration. their solicitors would have done the searches etc during the purchases and would have informed them before they completed. I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever with the house owners.There are many new housing estates from which to choose from in Swindon and surrounding areas.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Red Robin said:

The speedway track was there many moons before the houses were being built, the house owners knew what they were buying and should have taken that into consideration. their solicitors would have done the searches etc during the purchases and would have informed them before they completed. I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever with the house owners.There are many new housing estates from which to choose from in Swindon and surrounding areas.

Except they weren't expecting a speedway track at the bottom of the garden - they were expecting it to be moved - so if someone wanted to be difficult I'm sure they could and will be.

Exeter managed for many years in the middle of a housing estate but I really don't understand the logic of building houses so close to a motor sport/greyhound venue.  I certainly wouldn't want the pits in the bottom of my garden!

It's not so strange that developers want to build near a speedway track. Really what they want to do, as at several others Cradley Heath, Norwich etc etc. They want to gobble up the whole thing! Siting some houses nearby adds to the pressure of it being incompatible (as it is later claimed ) and the speedway always loses out. If speedway were a real money spinner with 10 or 20 thousand a week going that building creep may never happen. It's happening now at Peterborough.

15 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

It's not so strange that developers want to build near a speedway track. Really what they want to do, as at several others Cradley Heath, Norwich etc etc. They want to gobble up the whole thing! Siting some houses nearby adds to the pressure of it being incompatible (as it is later claimed ) and the speedway always loses out. If speedway were a real money spinner with 10 or 20 thousand a week going that building creep may never happen. It's happening now at Peterborough.

And Edinburgh