British Speedway Forum

4 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

I would not say that ray, the shape does matter as it is no good having rubbish racing because of the shape of the track, where with a bit of thought the track can be good and allow different lines and plenty of overtaking etc. 

Still best you got speedway in the first place I know what your saying though 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ray c said:

Strange I said to myself I bet shovler replies and guess what hear you are 

Because its a discussion forum and your post needed responding to.

Why on earth would the track shape not  be important? It’s absolutely of PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE. What would be the point of the club surviving, only to have a track similar to Leicester? 

The track is EVERYTHING. The opportunity to put in a great shaped track with racing. Not follow the leader crap Swindon fans hve had to endure week after week.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ray c said:

Still best you got speedway in the first place I know what your saying though 

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Why on earth would the track shape not  be important? It’s absolutely of PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE. What would be the point of the club surviving, only to have a track similar to Leicester? 

The track is EVERYTHING. The opportunity to put in a great shaped track with racing. Not follow the leader crap Swindon fans hve had to endure week after week.

It has been poor most of the  Robins fans have been vocal and admitted that but last night there was snippets of some good racing.Also a bit rich coming from you (TINTED blue again ) Poole is a terrible track now light years away from being what it used to be and holes on  the first bend that are still causing problems.

12 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I personally think that if it follow's the shape Melbourne's GP had that won't be a bad thing. The racing was close, fast & plenty of overtaking. Assuming they get the shale they require, if you watch the video link I've posted Ronnie Russell has said they've sourced some.

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

It has been poor most of the  Robins fans have been vocal and admitted that but last night there was snippets of some good racing.Also a bit rich coming from you (TINTED blue again ) Poole is a terrible track now light years away from being what it used to be and holes on  the first bend that are still causing problems.

This has nothing to do with Poole’s track, which is far, far superior to Swindons in every aspect. The Poole track was excellent last week after the return of the track man from his holiday. No holes. Great racing and passing. Not like last night at Swindon with once in a blue moon.

The Swindon promotion now have a blank sheet to put in a track that can be shaped how they want, within certain limitations. 300 metres is ideal and they could copy the shape of Belle Vue or Scunthorpe or Poole, all proper race tracks. Hope the fans get a track which means overtaking and thrills. Not some follow the leader rubbish like Leicester fans have to endure.

• Like 1

Is Ronnie designing the track? Surely there should be some rider involvement in how it should be.

I believe Chris Morton designed the Belle Vue shape, is that correct? Martin Ashby and Mike Broadbanks are at Swindon every week. Surely they could be involved? Or Barry Briggs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

This has nothing to do with Poole’s track, which is far, far superior to Swindons in every aspect. The Poole track was excellent last week after the return of the track man from his holiday. No holes. Great racing and passing. Not like last night at Swindon with once in a blue moon.

The Swindon promotion now have a blank sheet to put in a track that can be shaped how they want, within certain limitations. 300 metres is ideal and they could copy the shape of Belle Vue or Scunthorpe or Poole, all proper race tracks. Hope the fans get a track which means overtaking and thrills. Not some follow the leader rubbish like Leicester fans have to endure.

Poole and the words proper race track to not go together!

Leicester is an appalling track i agree , but isnt having speedway better than having no speedway?

I agree that shape and size is important but whats more important is that Swindon has speedway.

Or maybe we could just have one league of decent race tracks and shut the others down.

Belle Vue, Kings Lynn, Somerset, Wolves , Peterborough , Scunthorpe and Workington just in one league.

Its not the racetrack and the racing that stops people going its more about the success of the team. If Leicester were top of the league more fans would go and would endure the poor quality. At Ipswich the crowds were down in the last few year of the elite league as the team was appalling. Since dropping down the crowds have flocked back but the racing has been no better.

When we thrashed everyone in 1998 the racing was largely boring we were hammering most teams yet we had big crowds...the reason......we were winning every week

You must realise this as Poole fans only turn up when the team does well.

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You are deluded your track is certainly in the bottom four tracks now in the Prem your man Ford maybe he  can be questioned is he putting as much revenue in  as he used to.Watch some of your highlights be honest the  odd good race but alot more crap to go with it.The track i remember in the Blue Riband days and the England v USA test matches are long gone how you can slag other tracks off when yours now is very mediocre.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ray c said:

The shape doesn't matter as long as you got speedway next season q:cheers:

Having speedway next season is great for Swindon and the UK Ray. But the chance to create a great track is one that don't come around to often, and should be made the most of.

So at around 300m it's going to be about 15% smaller than the NNS track.. So something along the same lines as the NSS should be good. You have to remember the track will be smaller, but the bikes are still the same. I'm not a fan of tight turns, so I would look at the NSS track dimensions as a starting point and maybe take the 15% from the straights and keeping the bends the same. Should give plenty of room and different lines, and hopefully great racing. If it will fit..

But what do I know :unsure:

• Like 2

the first" track shape"to be worked out will be that of the greyhound track,the speedway will then have to work within those constraints,so not a total blank canvass,but still some room to work with,track width,camber etc,think they will be hoping to resolve the drainage issues between the two surfaces as a priorty

46 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

You are deluded your track is certainly in the bottom four tracks now in the Prem your man Ford maybe he  can be questioned is he putting as much revenue in  as he used to.Watch some of your highlights be honest the  odd good race but alot more crap to go with it.The track i remember in the Blue Riband days and the England v USA test matches are long gone how you can slag other tracks off when yours now is very mediocre.

The only track better than Poole in the top flight is NSS imo. Somersets was good but seems to have gone to the dogs this year. Swindon, Leicester equal bottom. Kings Lynn is gate and go nowdays. Wolverhampton isn’t proper speedway.

• Haha 1

Can we stop arguing on who's track is best. Aside from BV in the top league I think all tracks need looking at & money spent on them. The main thing is that Swindon will have a track next year, hopefully with the new dimensions which should make closer racing, If you've listened to what RR said & Tobi said the same last night, the long fast straights at Swindon make it difficult to pass especially due to them being very narrow.

Please can this thread return to talking about Swindon.

Edited by hyabb17
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, hyabb17 said:

Interesting interview with Ronnie Russell with Totalsport Swindon. He said that he's due to mark out the revised track this coming Wednesday - said it'll be the carpark bend bought in (the troublesome corner which needs ripping up), approx 300m & shaped like the Melbourne GP track (which if my memory serves me correctly was shaped like the letter D...)

Can we now assume that this is a definite GO? And a new track and a new stadium will be in existence for next April? Or is it more Who knows? Alongside the new houses, it would have a lot of use restrictions, I feel sure. 

Need someone in the Swindon area to pop into the stadium late Wednesday and see if the track has been pinned out. Pretty sure this is going to happen.