Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Crazy robin

Swindon 2018

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

Andy,

not trying to be picky or anything, but my son who works for them tell me they have just changed their name to Sports Information Systems.

not a problem, Hackney were still racing when I last managed a shop so not surprised things have changed in the last 25 years

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Peterborough Greyhound racing is a perfect example of what smart investment, promotion and marketing can achieve. The flat caps standing in the freezing cold days are long gone. A huge glass fronted, warm stadium with restaurant, bars, cafe is packed out 3 nights a week. It attracts families, work’s parties, lads and ladies nights of all ages. 6 dogs chasing a stuffed toy. 

Maybe, just maybe this is a route speedway should go down? More betting on races at the track.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SCB said:

Maybe, just maybe this is a route speedway should go down? More betting on races at the track.

You know yourself that Bet365, as do some other brands, bet on speedway matches.

How would you sell this particular aspect to the ‘closed shop’ that masquerades itself as a professional sport in the 21st century?

What are the potential benefits to the club and BSPA?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if betting became widespread in speedway there's a risk the sport could become corrupt :o

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Would be SO easy to rig races and matches. 

Why would it be easier to rig a speedway race than say a horse race?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MattK said:

Why would it be easier to rig a speedway race than say a horse race?

What is rigging a horse race got to do with it.? Speedway riders rig their average without betting though.!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

What is rigging a horse race got to do with it.? Speedway riders rig their average without betting though.!

Because horse racing has checks and balances in place to prevent rigging. If speedway was more betting focused it would have the same level of oversight. Currently there is no oversight, so as you rightly point out, there is a lot of manipulation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/01/2018 at 8:51 PM, Hodgy said:

Peterborough Greyhound racing is a perfect example of what smart investment, promotion and marketing can achieve. The flat caps standing in the freezing cold days are long gone. A huge glass fronted, warm stadium with restaurant, bars, cafe is packed out 3 nights a week. It attracts families, work’s parties, lads and ladies nights of all ages. 6 dogs chasing a stuffed toy. 

Is this the same stadium I drove past the other day, opposite Lynch Wood, wasn't sure if it was Showground?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Is this the same stadium I drove past the other day, opposite Lynch Wood, wasn't sure if it was Showground?

No, the Greyhound stadium is the other side of the city centre, very impressive set up. The Showground / Speedway is opposite Lynch Wood. As Sir David would say “it’s the coldest place on the planet”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

No, the Greyhound stadium is the other side of the city centre, very impressive set up. The Showground / Speedway is opposite Lynch Wood. As Sir David would say “it’s the coldest place on the planet”. 

Mmm....Blunsdon in mid-March makes the Arctic seem like a beach holiday!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope was Craven Park, only ever missed two home meets but it was ony 'shirt sleeve' weather on just two occasions.   I'm talking about the main stand where spectators still enjoy the full benefits of any sea breeze, accompanied by mist wafting in off the River Humber.  Mind, it was tad warmer at ground level or in the back straight stand; stadium was built 90 degrees the wrong way round.  I'm told Buxton is unoffiicially the coldest track in the UK, though I've seen amateur heats run in between blizzards at Scunny....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×