British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, MattK said:

You mean the stadium which was planned to be demolished. I wonder how many homeowners were told that by eager estate agents when they queried it?

The same as an enquiry to the sales office of the new development by a speedway fan who was told  "the stadium will not be there much longer".  That is why you use a decent solicitor and never believe what a house developer agent says.  If the solicitor was asked and did not mention exactly what was happening or in this case the fact that there is a speedway stadium in the area which could be noisy then he can be sued.  Any sensible person buying a house would check on the internet what is in the local area before buying.

Edited by A ORLOV

3 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

The same as an enquiry to the sales office of the new development by a speedway fan who was told  "the stadium will not be there much longer".  That is why you use a decent solicitor and never believe what a house developer agent says.  If the solicitor was asked and did not mention exactly what was happening or in this case the fact that there is a speedway stadium in the area which could be noisy then he can be sued.  Any sensible person buying a house would check on the internet what is in the local area before buying.

As of today, there is planning permission approved for the stadium to be demolished. I presume solicitors deal in fact and therefore that is what homeowners would have been told.

35 minutes ago, MattK said:

As of today, there is planning permission approved for the stadium to be demolished. I presume solicitors deal in fact and therefore that is what homeowners would have been told.

The original post was about puzzled home buyers wondering what the noise of speedway was about, nothing to do with a new stadium, so I am not sure what you are on about.

Anyway I await to see if anything happens or another story comes from Stadia as to why nothing is progressing.

Edited by A ORLOV

Swindon’s last meeting 21 June and next one 11 July. No continuity. That’s why I stopped going every week several years ago.

After all the early rain offs (and later ones to come) it’s about time the season was run from May to September. That would keep the interest.

• Like 1

The lack of fixture continuity should appease some of the new home owners as there won't be any noise disturbance as frequently!!:D

29 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Swindon’s last meeting 21 June and next one 11 July. No continuity. That’s why I stopped going every week several years ago.

After all the early rain offs (and later ones to come) it’s about time the season was run from May to September. That would keep the interest.

Even the meeting on the 11th might be postponed.  Am more concerned with going to BV on 9th with some of the team not having had a meeting for a few weeks. 

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Isn't that enough time to put in the Lego Stadium? We might be in for a pleasant surprise. Let's ask one of the new house owners to check and see if anything has just popped up.

17 hours ago, MattK said:

Fine if that is the case but cannot see any changes to the planning docs since April 19 confirming extension of time, so can you put on here the agreement of pp document.

3 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Fine if that is the case but cannot see any changes to the planning docs since April 19 confirming extension of time, so can you put on here the agreement of pp document.

Didn't the permission to demolish happen when they got planning for the "new" stadium?. 

4 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Didn't the permission to demolish happen when they got planning for the "new" stadium?. 

Do not think so, in fact I think that they never got final planning permission for the new stadium,  as issues kept cropping up, which is why they put in a new application to demolish and use part of the existing site. 

Edited by A ORLOV

42 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Do not think so, in fact I think that they never got final planning permission for the new stadium,  as issues kept cropping up, which is why they put in a new application to demolish and use part of the existing site. 

I thought that permission was granted but the reserved matters (drainage etc) were never agreed. Might be wrong tbough 

9 minutes ago, noaksey said:

I thought that permission was granted but the reserved matters (drainage etc) were never agreed. Might be wrong tbough 

I think outline pp was given but many issues arose that could not be sorted so final was not.   

2 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

I think outline pp was given but many issues arose that could not be sorted so final was not.   

The planning application was for "The demolition of existing stadium and construction of a new stadium, racing building, training kennels, new stands, car parking and associated development including minor access works to western access and laying out of open space/linear park."

This was granted back in 2007. From memory and without going back through the document, I cannot recall any reserved matters or conditions related to the demolition of the stadium.

10 minutes ago, MattK said:

The planning application was for "The demolition of existing stadium and construction of a new stadium, racing building, training kennels, new stands, car parking and associated development including minor access works to western access and laying out of open space/linear park."

This was granted back in 2007. From memory and without going back through the document, I cannot recall any reserved matters or conditions related to the demolition of the stadium.

Outline planning permission was given as stated earlier.

The back straight stand at the present stadium could not be demolished, seen in a document somewhere, because of drainage issues, which is why nothing has been done, but you now claim pp has been given which I have asked where is it published because it is not on the planning docs relating to the present stadium changes. 

Edited by A ORLOV

1 minute ago, A ORLOV said:

The present back straight stand could not be demolished, seen in a document somewhere, because of drainage issues, which is why nothing has been done, but you now claim pp has been given which I have asked where is it published because it is not on the planning docs relating to the present stadium changes. 

I'm not sure what you mean. Permission was granted for the outline plan here:

http://pa1.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=JIUY3APT0BP00

As I said, going from memory I cannot recall any conditions on the demolition of the stadium, which would therefore require further approval. There were plenty on the construction of the new stadium, none of which have been discharged and also plenty on the construction of the houses, which unsurprisingly have been gradually discharged over the past few years.

I'm not seen anything about the demolition of the back stright stand being prevented though, so I may have missed something in my not very extensive trawl of the documents many years ago.

Either way it is all academic. Stadia UK have got what they wanted, houses, and we all know they have no intention of ever re-developing the stadium. They will be perfectly happy when the new neighbours inevitably complain about the noise and will use that as an excuse to run down the activities at the stadium going forwards.