British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Your Memories Of Swedes In Bl (1970-89)

HERE COMES THE . . . SWEDES
In the next issue (83) of Backtrack, Martin Rogers will be looking back at the Swedish riders who competed in the British League in the 70s & 80s...

Alongside the main piece will be a section of supporters' comments about the Swedes who raced in the UK during that era,

so please either post your personal recollections, anecdotes, memories or opinions here or email us at: editorial@retro-speedway.com

Remember the superstars: Olle Nygren (the veteran who was in his twilight years at the start of the Backtrack era), Anders Michanek, Soren Sjosten, Bengt Jansson, Bernt Persson, Christer Lofqvist, Hasse Holmqvist, Jan Andersson, Per Jonsson, Jimmy Nilsen, Henka Gustafsson and the late and much lamented Tommy Jansson, who was cruelly taken from us far too soon.

B

ut we are particularly keen to read your thoughts on their many fellow countrymen who perhaps didn't spend so much time in the spotlight . . . Christer Sjosten (another who was tragically killed), Tommy Johansson, Tommy Nilsson, long-serving Richard Hellsen, Bo Wirebrand, Soren Karlsson, Stefan Salomonsson, Bjorn Andersson, Anders Eriksson, Tony Olsson, Peter Nahlin.

And not forgetting those who flickered only very briefly in the BL: Peter Smith, Bo Jansson, Uno Johansson, Hasse Danielsson, Bengt & Pierre Brannefors, Borge Ring, Conny Ivarsson, Erik Stenlund, Mikael Blixt and another fatal track victim, Leif Wahlmann, etc . . .

We look forward to hearing from you ASAP - respond and you might well get your name in Backtrack!

Thanks,
Tony Mac

Richard Hellsen was one of those riders that every team needs. The guy that always performs to a decent standard week in week out in support of the star names. The guy that never lets you down but rarely grabs the headlines. It was a pleasure to see him grace the Hawks racejacket at the tail end of his career, though I mainly remember him as a Kings Lynn stalwart.

Jan Andersson must surely be a club legend for fans of the Reading Racers, and of course indoor speedway where he was nigh on unbeatable.

Per Jonsson was a worthy world champion, and may have won it more than once but for his tragic career ending and life changing injuries.

However, the most legendary moment involving a Swede in Britain was not a victory. It was that amazing cup final run-off between Michanek and PC.

• Like 2

Richard Hellsen was one of those riders that every team needs. The guy that always performs to a decent standard week in week out in support of the star names. The guy that never lets you down but rarely grabs the headlines. It was a pleasure to see him grace the Hawks racejacket at the tail end of his career, though I mainly remember him as a Kings Lynn stalwart.

Jan Andersson must surely be a club legend for fans of the Reading Racers, and of course indoor speedway where he was nigh on unbeatable.

Per Jonsson was a worthy world champion, and may have won it more than once but for his tragic career ending and life changing injuries.

However, the most legendary moment involving a Swede in Britain was not a victory. It was that amazing cup final run-off between Michanek and PC.

Couldn't agree more, these days I struggle to recall specific races, even meetings as it happens, but I'll never forget that one, a Wednesday evening iirc, Michanek on Bernie Leigh's machinery (white rear mudguard?). By a long way that race is the best I have ever seen, it's well documented that they passed and re-passed on every turn and it could have gone either way right to the flag.

As for the thread subject, Soren Sjosten was my first hero when I was around 7 or 8 years old, I thought that because he was so small in stature that he was only a bit older than me and I could soon be a rider myself. That notion was shattered once I'd been in the pits for autographs and realised he was actually a bloke, great rider was Soren and his demise was a sad one.

• Like 1

Hasse Holmqvist was one of my favourites at Cowley during 1973. Recall the occasion that he pulled up outside my house with his large caravan and the family got out to make a cuppa!

Unfortunately due to illness and other factors he was unable to take his place in the Oxford line-up during 1975 (he rode in just three matches if I am correct?) and 'The Rebels' used the R/R/R to cover during his absence but did attempt to replace him with the likes of Helge Langli and the woefully inadequate Eddie Davidsson.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Newport Wasps had a fair sprinkling of Swedish Magicians - Gote Nordin, Torbjorn Harrysson, Bengt Brannefors & Tommy Johansson at Somerton park through the sixties & seventies. Nordins battles with Briggo were the stuff legends are made of. Gote's win in the internationale prompted what would be described as a Welsh pitch invasion these days or so it seemed to a 7 year old boy at the time. Toby's style always seemed to defy gravity both piled up the points for the wasps.

Edited by Ken Morgan
  • Like 1

I grew up watching speedway at Exeter's famed county ground. We didn't have a great history of Swedes at Exeter - the Falcons being better known for the Czech's who made Devon their British speedway home, but two stick out for me.

Although his Devon stay was outside the back track era, Tony Olsson's Falcons flame flickered only too briefly for us in 1992 & he was a genuine number one for us in his truncated spell in the green & white. Falcons fans starved of success since the halcyon days of the BL title in 1974 & the heady days of Ivan Mauger & Scott Autrey, must have thought the good times were back (I know I did) when the blond Swede led our line. Sadly he disappeared only too quickly when it became apparent that the Falcons side assembled was too expensive to run.

The other was the tragic Leif Wahlmann who joined us during the ill fated 1984 season back in the BL. He was one of few bright spots in a disastrous season. He seemed full of potential & a place in the WU21 Final at King's Lynn appeared to confirm what we thought down in Devon, which was that whilst not our season saviour, he had enough about him to suggest he could have a big future & his spectacular on track endeavours endeared him to the Devon fans. The pall that engulfed the club after the news of his tragic death at Lynn that day was palpable & hung over the track like a cloud for the rest of what was a terrible year.

Across the wider sport, the 70's was a brilliant time for speedway & the Swedes were a huge part of that in the UK. The aura of Mich was obvious & when I saw Tommy Jansson cruise to a serene 12 pt max in March 1976, even at the tender age of 10 I knew I was watching a star. Sadly fate intervened in his rise to real stardom. I also remember both Soren & Christer Sjosten with fondness, even though they rode for two of Exeter's biggest rivals.

Jan Andersson also left a huge impression for being so very pleasant & incredibly smooth on a race track

• Like 3

Roland Danno was a popular member of Hackney's ill-fated 1987 British League team, with his spectacular style and endearing personality.

In fact the only downside of dropping back to the National League in 88 was having to lose Roland.

I remember the annual supporters club riverboat/disco along the Thames with all the females flocking around him...The lucky sod!

He was good mates with Hackney junior Steve Verge who I believe named his son after him. It was a great shame that his career was cut short by injury, but he'll always be fondly remembered by Hackney and his other British club Belle Vue.

• Like 1

Richard Hellsen was a great servant to British Speedway and his efforts for my team, Long Eaton were particularly noteworthy.

He would always be a member of my 'Dream' Team' and here are my thoughts about a great Invader which I contributed to the excellent Speedway Plus website some years ago;

"When the signing of Richard Hellsen was announced during the last weeks leading up to the start of the 1989 Station Road season, I have to admit to being somewhat under-whelmed. After another desperately poor season, was this the 'star' that was to propel the Invaders into the upper reaches of the League? Well, he might not have achieved the turnaround in fortunes of the team. but over the next couple of years, the loyal Invaders' fans were to be ever more grateful to him for regularly 'carrying' our once-again inadequate team. We quickly became accustomed to that right leg sticking out in celebration (or was it a blocking move?) as he came off the 4th bend and it was obvious that he was a proud rider whose maintenance of racing standards was all important to him.

He was another in that seemingly long line of Station Road heroes who made it worthwhile attending meetings even though a disappointing result was inevitable at times. He could trap and made it hard for many of the young stars who were half his age. Of course, he lost a few battles over the way, but he was worth the admission. No one who was present will forget a classic third bend dive under Station Road Public Enemy No. 1, Andy Galvin, which saw our Southern 'friend' physically shifted out. Only a small snapshot in a long watching career, but which meant so much to committed Invaders fans as it paid back, in a split second, many of Galvin's antics at our track. Rick returned in the mid-90's and possibly enjoyed his racing even more as, by then, he had others to do the brunt of the scoring. It was great to see Rick team-riding on many occasions with Jan Staechmann and overall, I think he was a fantastic rider for Long Eaton."

• Like 2

Richard Hellsen was a great servant to British Speedway and his efforts for my team, Long Eaton were particularly noteworthy.

He would always be a member of my 'Dream' Team' and here are my thoughts about a great Invader which I contributed to the excellent Speedway Plus website some years ago;

"When the signing of Richard Hellsen was announced during the last weeks leading up to the start of the 1989 Station Road season, I have to admit to being somewhat under-whelmed. After another desperately poor season, was this the 'star' that was to propel the Invaders into the upper reaches of the League? Well, he might not have achieved the turnaround in fortunes of the team. but over the next couple of years, the loyal Invaders' fans were to be ever more grateful to him for regularly 'carrying' our once-again inadequate team. We quickly became accustomed to that right leg sticking out in celebration (or was it a blocking move?) as he came off the 4th bend and it was obvious that he was a proud rider whose maintenance of racing standards was all important to him.

He was another in that seemingly long line of Station Road heroes who made it worthwhile attending meetings even though a disappointing result was inevitable at times. He could trap and made it hard for many of the young stars who were half his age. Of course, he lost a few battles over the way, but he was worth the admission. No one who was present will forget a classic third bend dive under Station Road Public Enemy No. 1, Andy Galvin, which saw our Southern 'friend' physically shifted out. Only a small snapshot in a long watching career, but which meant so much to committed Invaders fans as it paid back, in a split second, many of Galvin's antics at our track. Rick returned in the mid-90's and possibly enjoyed his racing even more as, by then, he had others to do the brunt of the scoring. It was great to see Rick team-riding on many occasions with Jan Staechmann and overall, I think he was a fantastic rider for Long Eaton."

Ah yes, Rickard Hellsen to Long Eaton. I remember that. He had to average below 6.00 to be able to ride in the lower league. In his final race for Swindon that year he needed a third place to be below the required figure and was suitably placed going into the last lap. The rider in front suddenly had an ef, causing a hilariously obvious bad final bend by Hellsen in order for the rider behind to pass him and keep his average down.

• Like 2

Ah yes, Rickard Hellsen to Long Eaton. I remember that. He had to average below 6.00 to be able to ride in the lower league. In his final race for Swindon that year he needed a third place to be below the required figure and was suitably placed going into the last lap. The rider in front suddenly had an ef, causing a hilariously obvious bad final bend by Hellsen in order for the rider behind to pass him and keep his average down.

...remember a certain Malcolm Simmons whilst riding for Swindon deliberately dropping points so as to achieve an average enabling him to drop down a division...the things some riders would do to avoid riding for 'The Budgies!'

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

...remember a certain Malcolm Simmons whilst riding for Swindon deliberately dropping points so as to achieve an average enabling him to drop down a division...the things some riders would do to avoid riding for 'The Budgies!'

I dunno. I hear Bob Kilby was pretty keen to come back. :)

To be fair to Hellsen it was only right at the end of the season, unlike Simmons who spent the whole year doing it!

• Like 1

I dunno. I hear Bob Kilby was pretty keen to come back. :)

To be fair to Hellsen it was only right at the end of the season, unlike Simmons who spent the whole year doing it!

...have thoroughly enjoyed reading Lee Kilby's book on Bob. Great servant and a well respected individual.

• Like 1

Glad to see Richard Hellsen getting some love here. Never a top-liner, but a very tough 100% effort professional at BL and NL level. For me, a barometer of a value-for-money rider was the amount of effort they made as a visitor to the County Ground. He was one of those who always gave it a real go.

Pierre Brannefors looked s real prospect in 1983, bit didn't kick on. Per Jonsson on the other hand blossomed into one of the classiest riders I've ever seen.

• Like 3

As a Cradley fan of a certain vintage there is no doubt who my favourite Swede was. Our Bernie. His arrival at Dudley Wood coincided with my first full season following the Heathens and to my 7 year old eyes Bernie could do no wrong. His first 5 years cemented his position as my hero as he carried the Heathens flag against the other top riders of that era, for a team who were generally near the bottom of the table. Who can forget Wembley 1972 where he so nearly won the ultimate prize. Ok so he was lucky that Olsen fell when they met and we'll gloss over the coming together with Briggo, but he had two bites of the cherry against Ivan to win the thing. Ultimately, the Kiwi maestro outwitted him twice at he gates but I'll never forget the roar as Bernie nearly pulled level coming off the second bend on the last lap. Even so we basked in the glory of his silver medal and the fact he finished ahead of the dreaded Olsen from down the road. Bernie's Heathens career may have finished with a growing plethora of missed meetings but for those of us who saw him in the early '70's he always makes any all time Heathens 1-7's regardless of the World Champions who followed.

Of the other Swedes in that era who rode elsewhere the one who made the most lasting impression was Christer Lofqvist. I can't have seen him ride too often but he was so exciting to watch.

Of the later crowd I thought Jan Andersson was a class act. He always appeared so introverted which was kind of refreshing compared to the self confidence of the Carter's, Penhall's and their ilk. Not to mention his loyalty to Reading and the veritable points machine that he became.

Lesser known Swedes: Lars Hultberg - Bernie's protege in 1973 who looked like he was going to settle and score good points when injury finished his season and ultimately his British career.

Anders Eriksson at Wimbledon looked like he could develop to something good but failed to build on his initial promise and fell foul of the points requirement to get work permit.

Eastbourne's trio of Swedes in 1982 - Hammarberg, Ring and Johansson none of whom could score the points to back up the strong top half of their team.

• Like 6

My first ever Speedway match was Crayford v Young Sweden in April 1980.

The Young Swedes consisted of the experienced Tommy Nilsson who if memory serves me went through the card and probably the second half. Apart from him, the team was pretty poor.

The only back up riders who I remember were Borje Ring who did a season at Eastbourne in 1982 and Ake Fredell (?) who reappeared at Crayford in either 1982 or 1983 with a touring side.

Forward a couple of seasons to 1982 Eastbourne and the aforementioned Ring was joined by Lars Hammerberg and Lillibror Johansson, all three of them contested the two reserve berths and even with the alarming shortage of riders in 1983, Eastie only brought back Johansson for a short spell. Don't think any of them ever got above a 5.00 average.

I think Sweden went through one of those dips of not having any young world class riders (bit like the UK has gone through) Between the death of Tommy Jansson and the rise of Per Jonsson/Jimmy Nilsen there was only Jan Andersson, a rider who I never really rated but whose points output and longevity at the top end of the averages would suggest otherwise

Sadly a young Swede provided me with an unwanted first as I was at Kings Lynn the night Leif Wahlmann was killed

• Like 2