British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CookieIpswich

Bspa - Want To Borrow My League Structure?

Towards the end of this season, there seems to have been a lot of clashes with priority of meetings using the ISL calendar. With fixed nights, almost being sorted, many of the top, sorry, BETTER riders ride in Poland AND Sweden & with these countries being close, surely it would have been better to ride Poland Sunday, Sweden Monday & Britain Tuesday & Thursday as more of our CL level of riders,also, ride in Denmark which is a Wednesday.

The use of one average, Championship & using conversion, seems to have worked to a fair standard this year with the use of Nicholls for Gracjonek being a good example of one of the rules changed at last years AGM. If it works, keep the rule in place rather than chopping & changing. Saying that, I was never in favour of a Promotion/Relegation & this has proved to be a farce. Not using the result of Monday, but by using the fact that other teams can "ask" to be involved next year, Glasgow, Sheffield & Ipswich have been the 3 teams mentioned plus Lakeside having a years grace due to the uncertainty of use in 2017.

As you might see, I have liked mikebv's post because there are some parts there that I have, also. posted about for change. Less riders & minimum 4 point average will make a better standard of a team in the Premiership.

There is the possibility of removing the t/r ride & bringing back the t/sub ride, thus enabling a rider to have 5 or 6 rides to help their income as the easing down of doubling up/down MUST be a requirement.

Any riders not declared in either league but wish to cover, could go into a pool & these riders only, can be used for International/FIM events/injuries where a CL rider can cover for a PL rider & PL to CL providing their converted average fits which would keep a teams identity.

Someone else trying to re-invest the wheel when in reality you just need to fix the puncture. Many small tweaks are needed, not any big changes. The level of the league is irrelevant as long as you have 3 leagues of varying levels. Doubling up can't be arbitrary averages, 17 year old Brit averages 4.51 he cant double up, 40 year old Aussie average 4.49 and he can, shocker of an idea. Would much rather than all riders can double up for 2 seasons as was introduced 2 seasons ago - meaning next seasons lots of riders will have to make a choice (or they'll drop the rule more likely)

The sports issue are not riders too good/bad, not too many/not enough teams in the league. It's how meetings are promoted and run.

What do we gain from a 12 team league? Nothing, we just make the other leagues smaller and thats a negative as then theres not enough teams in them.

If you effectively do away with reserves how is young up and coming talent ever going to get a chance in the top level, Bewley for example?

Bewley is a no6 & would still be included in a 6 man squad and he is going to get a chance at a higher level as his progress has been astonishing. As you have mentioned Bewley, he is, also, a rider that should not be competing at NL level. He could be the next Tai level of rider that progresses quickly rather than other that take longer. Encourage not discourage as some young riders have found out this year.

If you look at my thrown together teams each team will have a capable no.7 the problem this year was they tried it with 6 & 7 and it creates a divide across both leagues

Respect everyone's opinion but I don't see why we need 3 leagues, we don't want doubling up to last any longer than it needs to

The fixed race nights people seem happy with but if you lose your rider for the season because he got injured riding for another British club then that's got to hurt more than if it was for a foreign team

Edited by CookieIpswich

Would much rather than all riders can double up for 2 seasons as was introduced 2 seasons ago - meaning next seasons lots of riders will have to make a choice (or they'll drop the rule more likely)

They already have. That should have happened this year because it came in in 2015. Instead, they lurched violently in the other direction.

• Like 1

For now I would go for:

* Different race nights for Premiership and Championship, no Premiership fixtures clashing with FIM/SEC events - solves the issue of riders missing due to fixture clashes.

* Only allow doubling up and guest rides for riders who make British speedway their priority, whatever nationality they are

* Explore opportunities for getting more speedway on TV, e.g. second and third tier meetings on Freesports, and get race videos on social media rather than links to pages with the videos on. Increasing interest in speedway is the key to its survival.

* Scrap tactical rides and go back to the old T/S rule.

* All guests in Premiership meetings to be drawn from Championship riders without a current Premiership team - with reduced doubling up and no fixture clashes there should be plenty to choose from, or failing that, limit guests from other Premiership clubs to when a no. 1 is missing. Riders riding for one team one week then riding for the opposition the next week makes British speedway look a joke.

• Like 1

I can see your thinking but a few things make it a no go in my opinion.

Firstly you have named teams that are unrealistic. Wolves for instance wouldn't have Howarth if Sheffield are in and why would we want Ludvig Lindgren on a six as he isn't even a Wolves rider. Then you have Sam Masters at Sheffield who would be at Wolves given the chance but haven't moved Edinburgh up but have moved up clubs Unlikley to move up.

Will Lindgren be fit or back, same with Thorssell and the only reason we are keeping a top league is for the likes of Doyke and Lindgren and without them we could easily run a big league of 18+ teams giving more variety to the fixture list and no doubling up riders at all apart from reserves who would be National League riders only and stay at reserve.

NL riders would be riders that have an average of 3.99 and no more unless British and under 21, allowing riders like Dan Bewley to still ride at both levels for another season. No foreign riders would be allowed an average below 4.00 so reserves would only be British giving every team two Brits at reserve which Gives them the chance to progress.

Teams should be built to Championship level but using Premiership averages with the conversion rate being one point taken off Championship averages as the difference between leagues is already very small. Points limit at 34 or 36 gives every team the chance to put together an affordable team so Redcar v Belle Vue will be equal strength and affordable.

Having read all the posts of this thread, I am amazed that each and everyone has missed the biggest problem that exists in this sport of ours... Some of the posters has aired good ideas, some have been really innovative. But each missing the biggest problem our sport has.

We are in desperate need of a structured approach that details every aspect of the sport to be set in stone enabling everybody to know what lies ahead every year. We want each of our 3 leagues of predetermined numbers, to be run competitively each year, with a natural grading of abilities. . We want a detailed racing format that is used in all leagues. We want a set design of fixtures, again used by every league.....

I find it scandalous, that in this day and age, Team Manager's can't assemble their team because they don't know the restraints of the team points limit. These figures should be set in stone and the same applies each year. I see many announcements of riders signing for foreign teams next year but we are still waiting on the BSPA to set a limit.

Each year, all of us, ( the Fans, the Riders, the Promoters) are waiting for the AGM to declare how we are going to run the following year. How amateur is that ? This attitude does nothing to induce enthusiasm nor sustainability, Why should Sponsors get involved when we don't know what is happening next year....

It is my belief everything should be set in stone, so each and everyone will have knowledge of what is happening. Any changes to the rules should be announced 8 months prior, and receive full agreement before being implemented into stone.....

I am sure if the sport was run as a professional and sustainable business, it would attract more fans and better riders. We could look to the future with optimism instead of the shambles we see at present......

Edited by GRW123