British Speedway Forum
sussex bulldog

Eastbourne Eagles V Belle Vue Colts 14/10/2017

might have picked up a few points in ht 14 but not enough to make any difference . i think it was ht 9 before we saw a red or blue helmet cover come out of bend 1 in front. plenty of fight in the side got us to a 12 point lead but they made it hard for themselves and i'm sorry but bates should never be coming 4th behind shuttleworth & woodhall when they were struggling themselves. if they gate like that in manchester 30 points wouldn't have been enough .

It's about time referees were given total control at meetings, especially regarding parades and intervals. Some promoters just carry on with no urgency regardless of the weather conditions.

Edited by cityrebel

It's about time referees were given total control at meetings, especially regarding parades and intervals. Some promoters just carry on with no urgency regardless of the weather conditions.

But this is Speedway.

Common sense goes out of the window.

Promoters never learn,same old mistakes.

I despair. :nono:

might have picked up a few points in ht 14 but not enough to make any difference . i think it was ht 9 before we saw a red or blue helmet cover come out of bend 1 in front. plenty of fight in the side got us to a 12 point lead but they made it hard for themselves and i'm sorry but bates should never be coming 4th behind shuttleworth & woodhall when they were struggling themselves. if they gate like that in manchester 30 points wouldn't have been enough .

By that time I think the fog had started to affect races from heat 12, and having missed the gate Bates was going to struggle to pass. I think it's possible we could have had a bigger lead, or even with Bewley getting going potentially a smaller one. It's just the point that we will never know because of the slow running of the meeting especially the interval when it was obvious that the fog was filling in quickly . But you're right, think even if we had got a 16/20 point lead wouldn't have been enough, but at least we'd have come away having witnessed a good win instead of rushing to the car park to beat the queue getting out.

Edited by gazzac

Was a completely frustrating end to a pretty good meeting.

Why is it that I was talking to those with me, about the possibility of being 'fogged off' and yet there seemed no urgency from anyone that mattered to get on with it. I thought it quite refreshing when it was announced we were going to have a 'short' break but then we had to sit through the usual endless break and I even heard a couple of ironic cheers when the tractors finally pulled off the track. Maybe. like me, they thought that I 'fog off' is unlikely and it never crossed thier minds that the ref would call it off.

And why did he just call it off. I drive five minutes down the road and the fog was clear. Surely we should have had the 10 minute wait just to see if it lifted enough to get 2 minutes of racing in. 2 minutes.

And! Why WAS it called off? The ref could not see the whole track. TOUGH! The refs job is to make a judgement if there is a crash. Sometimes he is not best placed to make that judgement and often gets it wrong. So why not run these two extremely important races and just accept that he may have to make a difficult call. There was no health and safety reason to stop that meeting with two races to go.

And, the way it was announce annoyed me, so matter of fact. How about getting the ref and/or promotion on to explain.

I just hope that whatever the result is it is a bog win either way. I would hate for either team (but especially the Eagles) to loose by just a couple of points.

All in all this is ending up an extremely frustrating end to the season for me. Jake's ban, league cut off date, the elusive Charlie Saunders, and now this. Will I come again next year after all this? Well I have been since 1970, So yeh, most likely I will.

Rant over.

• Like 1

Was a completely frustrating end to a pretty good meeting.

Why is it that I was talking to those with me, about the possibility of being 'fogged off' and yet there seemed no urgency from anyone that mattered to get on with it. I thought it quite refreshing when it was announced we were going to have a 'short' break but then we had to sit through the usual endless break and I even heard a couple of ironic cheers when the tractors finally pulled off the track. Maybe. like me, they thought that I 'fog off' is unlikely and it never crossed thier minds that the ref would call it off.

And why did he just call it off. I drive five minutes down the road and the fog was clear. Surely we should have had the 10 minute wait just to see if it lifted enough to get 2 minutes of racing in. 2 minutes.

And! Why WAS it called off? The ref could not see the whole track. TOUGH! The refs job is to make a judgement if there is a crash. Sometimes he is not best placed to make that judgement and often gets it wrong. So why not run these two extremely important races and just accept that he may have to make a difficult call. There was no health and safety reason to stop that meeting with two races to go.

And, the way it was announce annoyed me, so matter of fact. How about getting the ref and/or promotion on to explain.

I just hope that whatever the result is it is a bog win either way. I would hate for either team (but especially the Eagles) to loose by just a couple of points.

All in all this is ending up an extremely frustrating end to the season for me. Jake's ban, league cut off date, the elusive Charlie Saunders, and now this. Will I come again next year after all this? Well I have been since 1970, So yeh, most likely I will.

Rant over.

That's a really good summary of the meeting and we felt exactly the same.

I stand just before the start line and was having exactly that discussion with a fellow fan, how is it we could see it happening and no one running the meeting couldn't?

On the issue of information given out ref the abandonment, Steve our commentator has improved this year, but we still need more info really on items like this, and could do with a bit more build up and info before racing to help the atmosphere, both against Kent and BV the stadium was quiet until the parade lap with no buzz, also don't think there was any music playing either before 7.30 which always used to help with the build up, interspersed with info.

Edited by gazzac

I remember seeing Lew stripp referee the meeting from the centre green in thick fog at arena in the 1990's. I'm not sure it would be allowed these days with all the health and safety issues.