British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fromafar

Poll

In view of chairman's comment that the sport is doing OK in GB.,and most clubs are reporting increased attendances,let's have fans view of their Club.

Simple Up or Down will do.

I can think of three Championship clubs threatening to quit because of low crowd numbers, so while it might be possible that numbers in general have risen, there are still plenty of clubs that look to be in the brown stuff. From what I've seen Down!

most definitely down... Cov fan!

• Like 1

Yeh i would say down, all over.

I'd say attendances at Berwick where up at the start of the season but that's to be expected with a new promotion in place , they dipped after the Glasgow ht 15 fiasco, then seemed to be about the normal towards the end of the season , local derbies at the end certainly helped as far as I'm aware the management seem pretty happy with crowd levels but of course would always be happy to see more folks coming through the turnstiles

Up at Glasgow , big time . When we stood on the back straight say 5 years ago , there was us three or four in my group and no more than about 20 or 30 dotted about . Now the back straight is packed most meetings . And the kids race against the mascot , during the interval , is a sight to behold . The line of kids stretches from one touchline of the football park , down to the other . Some weeks there are two lines .

It can be done with a bit of thought .

• Like 8

In the last season under the previous owners, Isle of Wight's average gates were under 100 per meeting.

This season, out of the holiday weeks they have averaged 300 and in the holiday weeks 5-600.

That's pretty much a five fold up :o:approve:

Just proves what a determined, customer-focussed and enthusiastic promotion can do.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 5

In the last season under the previous owners, Isle of Wight's average gates were under 100 per meeting.

This season, out of the holiday weeks they have averaged 300 and in the holiday weeks 5-600.

That's pretty much a five fold up :o:approve:

Just proves what a determined, customer-focussed and enthusiastic promotion can do.

That seems to be another success story , not back to the days when Chris Holder and Boycie graced the shale there , but it seems to be a thriving club again .

Too many promoters are lazy , they expect fans just to turn up as if it was 1975 still and they do nothing to add to the 15 heats of racing . That might have been enough back in the day , but not now .

It doesn't take a massive financial outlay to add to the experience of going to the track . Daft things like small prizes for competitions on the day , facebook check in , voting for rider of the night , photo sessions with riders for the kids after the meeting , these things cost nothing but do attract people and keep them interested .

• Like 4

Relatively stable at Wolves I think (although it could be down a bit but I don't know) but on a larger point, the promotion of the sport in the UK is largely terrible with a few exceptions. The people at the top need to reach out to riders, fans and any other interested parties and come out with a definitive long term plan that can see the sport on the up again, utilising social media a lot more would be a good first step, most Premiership clubs aren't active on their Twitter feeds at all. There should be targeted paid ads in the run up to meetings and then video interviews with riders afterwards, along with a redesign of websites to make them more interactive and engaging.

Basically, loads to do but the promotion in the UK seems stuck in a by gone age unfortunately. The potential for Speedway is big.........it's an exciting sport but it needs promoting as such.

Edited by Perton Wolf
  • Like 2

Relatively stable at Wolves I think (although it could be down a bit but I don't know) but on a larger point, the promotion of the sport in the UK is largely terrible with a few exceptions. The people at the top need to reach out to riders, fans and any other interested parties and come out with a definitive long term plan that can see the sport on the up again, utilising social media a lot more would be a good first step, most Premiership clubs aren't active on their Twitter feeds at all. There should be targeted paid ads in the run up to meetings and then video interviews with riders afterwards, along with a redesign of websites to make them more interactive and engaging.

Basically, loads to do but the promotion in the UK seems stuck in a by gone age unfortunately. The potential for Speedway is big.........it's an exciting sport but it needs promoting as such.

But the powers that be are not interested mate.

Up at Ipswich

Yeh Gavans out on the main rd dragging people in :D

Edited by Starman2006

down at poole but still between a 1000 and 1500 on a normal meeting . im sure someone will come on and tell me im wrong :t:

Edited by ray c