British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RPNY

2017 Gp Series - What Might Have Been.

As enjoyable as this year has been with some tremendous GPs, I cant help but feel its not been quite the series it promised at the start of the season, when it was widely agreed to be the best line up in a long time if not ever. So many injuries have taken a little bit of the sheen off it for me. The injuries for one, but also the lack of form of Lindback & Holder who finished off so strong last year. Be interesting to see what 2018 brings.

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 1

One thing people have to remember about this season you had 15 very good riders in it and somebody had to finish near the bottom every time, the number of times after heat 16 there were still 12/13 riders having a chance of the top 8.Not everybody is as good as the season before it happens.

Roll on 2018

• Like 1

Still think it was the best year in terms of riders. Even the reserves brought in have been competitive.. next year we have a rider in it whos not in the top 30 riders in the world it will be a poorer series for sure

• Like 2

Still think it was the best year in terms of riders. Even the reserves brought in have been competitive.. next year we have a rider in it whos not in the top 30 riders in the world it will be a poorer series for sure

You're assuming holder gets a wildcard?
  • Like 5

You're assuming holder gets a wildcard?

I wouldnt give him one no.. bang average these days and never been amazing apart from the year he won it

I wouldnt give him one no.. bang average these days and never been amazing apart from the year he won it

Agreed. Does not put bums on seats.

I assumed you meant him when you said a rider not in the top 30 in the world would be in the series next year. Guess u meant one of the Danes?

I assumed you meant him when you said a rider not in the top 30 in the world would be in the series next year. Guess u meant one of the Danes?

Would think NKI, Pedersen and Kildermand fall into that to be fair maybe even MJJ

One thing people have to remember about this season you had 15 very good riders in it and somebody had to finish near the bottom every time, the number of times after heat 16 there were still 12/13 riders having a chance of the top 8.Not everybody is as good as the season before it happens.

Roll on 2018

Very true, it has been a great season still just not quite what was thinking/hoping it might be.

GP 2017 standings based on the old scoring system (25-20-18-16...)

1. DOYLE - 202
2. DUDEK - 172
3. ZMARZLIK - 158
4. JANOWSKI - 149
5. WOFFINDEN - 143
6. ZAGAR - 136
7.- 8. SAJFUTDINOW I VACULIK - 119
-----
9. LINDGREN - 118
10. PAWLICKI - 87
11. HOLDER - 85
12. LINDBAECK - 78
13. KILDEMAND - 66

GP 2017 standings based on the old scoring system (25-20-18-16...)

1. DOYLE - 202

2. DUDEK - 172

3. ZMARZLIK - 158

4. JANOWSKI - 1495. WOFFINDEN - 143

6. ZAGAR - 136

7.- 8. SAJFUTDINOW I VACULIK - 119

-----

9. LINDGREN - 118

10. PAWLICKI - 87

11. HOLDER - 85

12. LINDBAECK - 78

13. KILDEMAND - 66

Interesting that just because of the extra emphasis placed on points scored in the final in the old system.

This finishing order and the relative points difference down the list does 'feel' a bit more representative of the year.

If Emil had been more consistent and managed to convert semis in to finals, we may have had a different result. He wins 3 on the trot then has 2 lasts, or starts with 2 lasts and wins 3. He regularly makes semis then looks all at sea in them. Emil has been my favourite rider for the past 5 years but this year he seemed to have lost his edge. I was convinced 4 years ago he would be world champion but this year he never looked likely to reach the heights.

Maybe next year.

I think it was a massive learning curve for Emil this year. I definitely have him top 3 for next year (not that means anything!)

If he can recapture the form that brought him 2 SEC wins and keep up his consistency, I believe he could be top 1. In full flight he is the most exciting rider around. Gating can be hit and miss but when he really goes for it, Emil blasting his way from the back is a joy to behold.

• Like 1

Emil is probably my favourite rider of the current decade, but Id rank Zmarzlick as ax more likely world champ next year if its one from outside this years top 3. Those 5 would have to be the favourites, and though Id say you cant write off Hancock totally, Id be surprised if the world champ was not one of them.