British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RPNY

2017 Gp Series - What Might Have Been.

GP 2017 standings based on the old scoring system (25-20-18-16...)

1. DOYLE - 202

2. DUDEK - 172

3. ZMARZLIK - 158

4. JANOWSKI - 149

5. WOFFINDEN - 143

6. ZAGAR - 136

7.- 8. SAJFUTDINOW I VACULIK - 119

-----

9. LINDGREN - 118

10. PAWLICKI - 87

11. HOLDER - 85

12. LINDBAECK - 78

13. KILDEMAND - 66

I preferred the old system personally. The winner of a GP should take the most points from the event in my opinion and being an out and out winner in the pressure situations should give more reward than just consistent mediocrity.

In theory you could become world champion without even making a final and to me that can't be right.

• Like 1

WHeras I think the current points system is spot on. IMO a rider who scores a 15 point max, wins his semi and finished 2nd in the final deserved more points than someone who scored 7 in the main meeting a second in the semi but wins the final.

• Like 2

WHeras I think the current points system is spot on. IMO a rider who scores a 15 point max, wins his semi and finished 2nd in the final deserved more points than someone who scored 7 in the main meeting a second in the semi but wins the final.

I can see that but then why have the semis and finals at all then?

Just declare the winner the one with the most points after 5 races each.

To me it's either or and this compromise system just devalues the grand final.

I think the finals meant much more and were more exciting when it was winner takes all rather then the rider that has the most points over the meeting giving it up and being content to sit in 2nd or 3rd in the final as 1 or 2 points weren't going to make much difference to his overall standing.

I think this has the best of worlds. The best performer on the night gets the most points. There is the tenseness around making top 8, the excitement of the final and the final winner gets the glory of being a gp champ.

Plenty of things wrong with speedway, but this imo is something they have got right.

• Like 3

Guest GiveusaB

I don't think some of the tracks lived up to the quality of the line-up !?

There is the tenseness around making top 8...

Well, top 9!

Mind you, I agree with your general point though.

Well, top 9!

Mind you, I agree with your general point though.

Actually I meant top 8 in any given meeting making the semis.

But I also think the qualification method is about right, the only question mark is whether riders in the series should also be permitted to go through the challenge rounds which effectively gives them 3 possible qualification routes.

But next years line up looks good, you could argue that the likes of Hampel/milik/lebedevs ahead of Holder/cook would make it stronger, but Cook was consistently superb in the qualifiers and deserved his spot.

The GP as a whole has most things right, good racing, good line ups, well presented.

• Like 5

Emil is a favourite of mine,don't know what happens when pressure comes on though.Janowski is my tip for next year he has the skills but seems to go off the boil as season progresses maybe has to cut back a bit but that Is difficult for the guys at the top.