British Speedway Forum

What really annoys me is a rider rolls, another rider rolls and touches the tapes. The tape toucher is excluded. Yet the race has already been stopped because of the original roller. If two riders touch the tapes its the first one excluded, so surely of one jumps and causes the other to touch the tapes the tape toucher is innocent as the race has been stopped?

As I said, cut out the room to roll (see my previous post) and none of this can happen.

• Like 1

......A transponder is a device the sends a signal to a box, you can get them for as little as just over 20 quid.

Bit of a Whoosh there. My fault, I should have made it clear that my transponder comment was tongue-in-cheek (is there an emoji thingy for that?). However, a £20 transponder from Maplins might not last very long in the speedway environment. Then there is the "box" that you mention - i.e. the hardware and software infrastructure to make the transponder useful. A leeetle bit more than £20 for that.

Anyway, fascinating as these discussions are, they are purely acedemic. Anything that costs money to improve the sport is not going to happen, because, to paraphrase Alastair Darling, there is no money left. Would you invest in the future of speedway? Happy days.

Moving at the start has been present for many, many years. Just have a look at some of the old you tube videos. Putting chocks, or anything else behind the wheels only stops a rider rolling back and then forward, it will not stop a rider anticipating the start and dropping the clutch before the tapes actually rise. If the chock was exactly a bikes length from the tapes it might make it harder for a rider to move at all without touching the tapes as, at present, the bikes have several inches between the front tyre and the tapes which means a small movement is still possible. The GP this year where the ref held the tapes for 3-5 seconds was interesting. After the first round of races, there was virtually no problem, even if there was a lot of moaning!

Moving at the start has been present for many, many years. Just have a look at some of the old you tube videos. Putting chocks, or anything else behind the wheels only stops a rider rolling back and then forward, it will not stop a rider anticipating the start and dropping the clutch before the tapes actually rise. If the chock was exactly a bikes length from the tapes it might make it harder for a rider to move at all without touching the tapes as, at present, the bikes have several inches between the front tyre and the tapes which means a small movement is still possible. The GP this year where the ref held the tapes for 3-5 seconds was interesting. After the first round of races, there was virtually no problem, even if there was a lot of moaning!

If I were a ref, I would fluctuate my release, might be 10secs next time 15secs then perhaps 20 secs, Would certainly have to hold until the tapes were released

If I were a ref, I would fluctuate my release, might be 10secs next time 15secs then perhaps 20 secs, Would certainly have to hold until the tapes were released

There would be a lot of metal lying about on starting grid if that was to happen!!!!!!!
  • Like 2

Surely times like that would totally knacker the clutch. :nono::nono::nono:

• Like 2

Would'nt do the clutch any good and the motor would probably grenade on a regular basis. :o

If you dont touch the tapes.

Then the race just carries on, no exclusions.

Getting a 'flyer' is fine.

You just made a damn good start.

At last someone agrees with me

Didn't the start button used to be a random button. The ref chose the moment when the riders were settled, and after pressing the button the tapes were released on a random basis.

If you don't touch the tapes,it's a good start.And sign James Sarjeant on a 2.50 for 2018 :t:

Your right baldyman, you only need to think of F1 and MotoGp to know the green light is effective. Added to that is the transponder which detects movement. I dont know whether a transponder will work for speedway. F1 and MotoGP etc have concrete base to work from, the machines dont chew up the track likw speedway does. So whether technically a transponder could be used I dont know.

Maybe a green light with a electronic beam across the track would - dont know if any trials have been done.

But the starting tape fiasco is just one that needs sorting, bring speedway into the 21st Century with other things too.

Would transponders work on a speedway track though, what with different start positions even within a riders own "box"??

Each track has 14 and a box ..simple

Or just keep speedway in the dark ages...just as simple

We're still using a mechanism introduced by Fred Mockford at New Cross in 1934 to start races!

Surely there must be a more reliable alternative that is a) more reliable and doesn't malfunction/rise squint, and b) eradicates jump starts/rollers

Trialing a start light/transponder system to replace ye olde starting gate as suggested above, should be considered.

Perhaps now is the time the FIM for take the lead on this for the benefit of sport worldwide.

• Like 1

We're still using a mechanism introduced by Fred Mockford at New Cross in 1934 to start races!

Surely there must be a more reliable alternative that is a) more reliable and doesn't malfunction/rise squint, and b) eradicates jump starts/rollers

Trialing a start light/transponder system to replace ye olde starting gate as suggested above, should be considered.

Perhaps now is the time the FIM for take the lead on this for the benefit of sport worldwide.

Someone needs to take the lead in bringing about positive steps for speedway but I think the FIM have long pushed it to one side as irreparable,

So, after six pages no one has managed to offer up a workable solution which is better than what we have today.

Personally, I don't think starting is an issue. The warning system seems to work well. The only tweak I'd like to see is riders returning straight back to the tapes by stopping the pit gates from being opened.

So, after six pages no one has managed to offer up a workable solution which is better than what we have today.

That is not true.

It is only an opinion of yours when a soluton has been offered and you have ignored it

Or just don't like it.

My answer was stated on the first page.

No exclusions, warnings or stoppages if no one touches the tapes.

The race just runs.

A Very Workable Solution.

And better than what we have today.

(in my opinion).

Edited by Grand Central