British Speedway Forum

How can a referee in a box, meters from the starting line, obstructed by lights, scaffolding, wires, etc,etc...see what a false start is and is not? A false start 0.05 of a second before the tapes are released is still a false start compared with one 0.50 of a second...but is it recognisable by the eye?

Allowing starts to be judged by the eye of a referee is always going to cause conjecture.

The same as times of each race...still done with a stop watch....what's the point?

The sport has become a joke...it's head in the clouds. Completely cuckoo.

A pic today I saw of Kelvin Tatum looking forward to the GP in Melbourne...stood next to some scaffolding and planks. Summed it up for me. Dreamers living on a building site, run by Cowboys.

• Like 2

If a rider don't touch the tapes,it's a good start.Same for all.

• Like 3

I agree - even if he anticipates the Start.

• Like 4

A pic today I saw of Kelvin Tatum looking forward to the GP in Melbourne...stood next to some scaffolding and planks.

I’d like to see this pic of Kelvin and the BSPA.

• Like 2

I’d like to see this pic of Kelvin and the BSPA.

A nice laugh at the end of the day. :t::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thank you. :rofl:

• Like 1

It really is a simple sport, as far as rules are concerned Four riders leave the tapes without an infringement, go as fast as you can, keep turning left for four laps, avoid knocking each other off, first over the line is the winner, JOB DONE.

If a rider has not moved at the tapes, anticipates the magnet and lets the clutch go, (does not matter how many fractions of a second) does not touch the tapes. THERE IS NO INFRINGEMENT. IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE

• Like 7

Most other motor sports go off a green light.and you very rarely get jump starts compared to speedway, so why not use a light? Or does speedway have to be different just for the sake of it?

Most other motor sports go off a green light.and you very rarely get jump starts compared to speedway, so why not use a light? Or does speedway have to be different just for the sake of it?

Green light starts are long gone because drivers used to anticipate the green by going when the red lights went out, which is now the current procedure.

Your right baldyman, you only need to think of F1 and MotoGp to know the green light is effective. Added to that is the transponder which detects movement. I dont know whether a transponder will work for speedway. F1 and MotoGP etc have concrete base to work from, the machines dont chew up the track likw speedway does. So whether technically a transponder could be used I dont know.

Maybe a green light with a electronic beam across the track would - dont know if any trials have been done.

But the starting tape fiasco is just one that needs sorting, bring speedway into the 21st Century with other things too.

• Like 1

Even if the "powers that be" at the BSPA decide at their AGM to "do something" about starting it will no doubt be in place for the first two months of the new season - just as "gardening at the start " was and then ignored by refs. Needs new technology implemented ( which is not expensive ) OR anything goes but if you do touch the tapes your are excluded. As usual can't see that the issue will be discussed or sorted out, as it seems that only fans are concerned about it.

• Like 1

Green light starts are long gone because drivers used to anticipate the green by going when the red lights went out, which is now the current procedure.

Okay okay I meant as it is now. Red lights on off.

Personally react / anticipate the start is all fine with me as long as riders don't touch the tapes. The majority of the problems lay with the bikes not being close enough to the tapes to prevent rolling.

A second line was added (this year?) that the wheel spindle should be over and remain in that position until the tapes go up. However even if starters do call riders up over this line (and many don't) as soon as they walk away riders pull back onto the top of the rut then roll down just before the tapes move. Its this behaviour that needs to be stamped out to prevent constant movement at the starts & re-runs.

If a hard line was taken by either the referee or assistant start marshall it would be easy to stamp out if applied consistently. There would obviously be a couple of horrendous meetings at the start of the season getting all riders to stay put but once it became clear no movement would be tolerated the riders would mostly regulate themselves.

It really is a simple sport . . . . avoid knocking each other off . . . .

Not quite as simple as that - remember, according to Neil Muddlo, it's a "contact sport"

Giant greyhound traps.

No more digging around at the start. Traps open, riders fly out and the start girls then push it on to the centre green.

It's just crazy enough to work. :P

• Like 1

Trouble with allowing movement as long as don't touch tapes is..there is only one ref. He can't watch all 4 at same time. And they probably won't pick up the slightest of touches. So after a race a replay shows a rider did touch tapes..what then??? At least with a light going off its pretty obvious someone moved. Cos the light will stil be on and one of the riders isn't on the line anymore. Another problem with speedway and maybe one of its biggest, is most of the supporters live in the past and don't like change. And it's it's time for a change people.

If ya gonna stick to tapes, it should be any movement and you are out. No warning or anything. Once it hits the pocket the riders will soon learn to sit still.

• Like 1