British Speedway Forum

Is the assumption that the manager will stay?

Is he the one that has procured the team for the last few years?

Have the Facenna brothers simply bankrolled it,while leaving the selections up to him?

I have no idea, just thinking out loud, in the face of what has been a pretty underacheiving season given the resources we apparently have.

And what's the thoughts on Greg Hancock redesigning the track?

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying but that was the past, the sport is completely different now, and like youve said, the sport is a lot more expensive but there is no money in UK speedway anymore so riders need more teams to help cover these costs, if a rider only has 1 team he will still have to pay the same expenses on bike parts, then the argument about getting a full time job and racing speedway part time, what happens when the rider has to work and miss speedway meetings, then you will need to use a guest for the rider and then youll get people moaning about the use of guests, just make set days for leagues, and let the rider double up on separate days, they can earn extra which helps them financially and then you wont have fixture clashes, its the simple solution, fans shouldnt be trying to stop riders from earning money

No the sport isn't that different, it still uses bikes with no brakes round a dirt track. Seems you are out of touch as regards the complete shambles that has been 2017 season and which is simply not workable.

No the sport isn't that different, it still uses bikes with no brakes round a dirt track. Seems you are out of touch as regards the complete shambles that has been 2017 season and which is simply not workable.

Back in the 70s were carburettors over £600 each? Was a clutch basket over £600 each?, then there is clutch plates that need changing every meeting, engine services which is like £1000 after 30/40 heats not meetings, oil, fuel, and they need 2/3 bikes because they need spares because of how temperamental the parts are now, and it could break at any time, after crashes etc then there is mechanic costs, van costs, insurance, flights for riders if they are based abroad, then they need money to actually live on and feed their families, how are riders supposed to manage that on lets say £60 a point with on average 2 meetings a week? Its not the riders fault that the sport is soo expensive, the sport has evolved a lot and whether yous like it or not, speedway is a full time job because of the constant travel to and from meetings, bike washes inbetween etc, not many employers will employ a speedway rider for this very reason,

• Like 2

Back in the 70s were carburettors over £600 each? Was a clutch basket over £600 each?, then there is clutch plates that need changing every meeting, engine services which is like £1000 after 30/40 heats not meetings, oil, fuel, and they need 2/3 bikes because they need spares because of how temperamental the parts are now, and it could break at any time, after crashes etc then there is mechanic costs, van costs, insurance, flights for riders if they are based abroad, then they need money to actually live on and feed their families, how are riders supposed to manage that on lets say £60 a point with on average 2 meetings a week? Its not the riders fault that the sport is soo expensive, the sport has evolved a lot and whether yous like it or not, speedway is a full time job because of the constant travel to and from meetings, bike washes inbetween etc, not many employers will employ a speedway rider for this very reason,

Doubling up only exacerbates the scenario you paint and increases costs. We need to get back to basics and that includes getting rid of the much hated doubling up.

Eh???..........the sport survived for years and years without doubling up AND with riders working full time too AND riding just one league AND not riding abroad AND having only one bike........

The sport's become far too expensive to attract the amount of riders that it used to......AND a good deal of greed has set in too.

Exactly

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway
  • Like 2

sorry for editing this post .

the way i see it greg will put lifts up to the pits , grab rails so when the crowd get excited by the racing from the new shape track , they can

pull them selves out of their seats and cheer !

parking in the stadium for zimmer frames . and magnifying sheet glass in the glazed area . maybe even in the refs box as well so he can see tight finishes easily .

how many times can you redesign a track . reminds me of peter waite with his black shale !

Edited by jenga
  • Like 1

If we had no doubling up, who would fill the teams? There are currently

8 teams in top league

10 teams in middle league

12 teams in bottom league

Thats 30 teams, each has 7 riders so thats 210 riders needed, plus need riders to cover for injuries, and some people are asking for a squad system so that would then increase the amount of riders more, can you think of 210 riders minimum to fill all those teams that UK speedway could afford and that would actually make the racing competitive, in my opinion there isnt enough riders to fill all the teams unless you start signing young inexperienced kids to fill teams which is gonna make it hard for them to score points as they will be up against the likes of the Worralls, Masters, Barker etc meaning they aint gonna earn any money, I get that doubling up isnt ideal for fans when there were fixture clashes but I dont see the problem with letting a rider double up if it means there wont be any clashes, why should fans be able to tell riders they cant ride on a Mon/Thurs when their club will only race Fri/Sat/Sun, its doesnt affect you or your club so leave them be, if they want to ride Mon/Thurs in top league then ride middle league Fri/Sat/Sun, let them, bringing in set race nights could be the best thing for the sport for the riders and for the fans

Edited by BenR195
  • Like 3

sorry for editing this post .

the way i see it greg will put lifts up to the pits , grab rails so when the crowd get excited by the racing from the new shape track , they can

pull them selves out of their seats and cheer !

parking in the stadium for zimmer frames . and magnifying sheet glass in the glazed area . maybe even in the refs box as well so he can see tight finishes easily .

how many times can you redesign a track . reminds me of peter waite with his black shale !

The shale was red, Jenga

• Like 1

If we had no doubling up, who would fill the teams? There are currently

8 teams in top league

10 teams in middle league

12 teams in bottom league

Thats 30 teams, each has 7 riders so thats 210 riders needed, plus need riders to cover for injuries, and some people are asking for a squad system so that would then increase the amount of riders more, can you think of 210 riders minimum to fill all those teams that UK speedway could afford and that would actually make the racing competitive, in my opinion there isnt enough riders to fill all the teams unless you start signing young inexperienced kids to fill teams which is gonna make it hard for them to score points as they will be up against the likes of the Worralls, Masters, Barker etc meaning they aint gonna earn any money, I get that doubling up isnt ideal for fans when there were fixture clashes but I dont see the problem with letting a rider double up if it means there wont be any clashes, why should fans be able to tell riders they cant ride on a Mon/Thurs when their club will only race Fri/Sat/Sun, its doesnt affect you or your club so leave them be, if they want to ride Mon/Thurs in top league then ride middle league Fri/Sat/Sun, let them, bringing in set race nights could be the best thing for the sport for the riders and for the fans

Not relevant. What about the riders that have been squeezed out, careers ended prematurely and needlessly lost to the sport due to stupid rules.

Doubling up has been a disaster. 2017 has been farcical.

You obviously don't get it. We..... hate..... doubling up!!!!! Its killing the sport. I have reduced my attendance because of it so it does not pay!!

Eh???..........the sport survived for years and years without doubling up AND with riders working full time too AND riding just one league AND not riding abroad AND having only one bike........

The sport's become far too expensive to attract the amount of riders that it used to......AND a good deal of greed has set in too.

BenR195 - read the above post and take full note of it!!!

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway
  • Like 2

i was sure peter commented on the black shale being more grippy `!

oh well , you guys would know better than i .

for years i have had that stuck in my head it was black .i stand corrected by the people of knowledge .

i was sure peter commented on the black shale being more grippy `!

oh well , you guys would know better than i .

for years i have had that stuck in my head it was black .i stand corrected by the people of knowledge .

And so you should.

The original shale was a very dark whinstone grit which I believe was grippy, Peter tried some red shale to see if it would drain more easily, didn't work, so it was blended in till it basically disappeared

Doesn't matter how much we loathe doubling up , it's here to stay . It only grew into the cancer it became because of the amount of fixture clashes . League speedway in this country is on life support , you have a group of self employed speedway riders who will ride for 2 , 3 or 4 teams with only the pursuit of making money as a concern .

If the top league goes to two nights , then that at least will eleviate the fixture clash problem .

• Like 6

Doesn't matter how much we loathe doubling up , it's here to stay . It only grew into the cancer it became because of the amount of fixture clashes . League speedway in this country is on life support , you have a group of self employed speedway riders who will ride for 2 , 3 or 4 teams with only the pursuit of making money as a concern .

If the top league goes to two nights , then that at least will eleviate the fixture clash problem .

IMO they are not willing to take step back to help solve a lot of the problems.
  • Like 1

IMO they are not willing to take step back to help solve a lot of the problems.

possibly the riders doubling up and riding almost every night are actually making good money compared to a few years back

which as most will kinow the more you earn the more you get use to and in turn want to earn more

• Like 1