British Speedway Forum

would have thought that at Ashfield at least, a wider track means it will become more difficult for riders to block faster riders

15 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

would have thought that at Ashfield at least, a wider track means it will become more difficult for riders to block faster riders

Narrow tracks don't stop it now do they.

7 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Narrow tracks don't stop it now do they.

It can to a certain extent . Few years back i saw a race at Ashfield where James Grieves out gated Lee Complin and blocked his every move for four laps . Complin was exciting to watch , but one dimensional . James knew he would use the outside line . Complin was all over James' back wheel and looked to have much more speed , but couldn't get past James as he covered the outside run every lap 

• Like 2

Think the racing at Ashfield will improve quite a bit with wider track,IMO the entrance to the 3rd bend was narrow and stopped a lot of overtaking because the following rider although faster could only follow in to  bend before trying a move to take opponent coming out of 4th bend which most times did not come off.Should be some good racing.

• Like 1

Hopefully the changes have the desired effect. When Ashfield first opened it was one of the best tracks in the country then unfortunately changes had to be made due to the football and it was never quite the same.

i really hope the track work pays off. Far too many races were spread out after the 1st 2 bends last season and i felt entertainment was sadly lacking in far too many meetings. Everyone just headed for the wide line round the fence and stayed there with Steve Worrall i think being an exception and had a race where he passed on the inside on bend 4? Hopefully this work is the final piece in the jigsaw.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paulco said:

It can to a certain extent . Few years back i saw a race at Ashfield where James Grieves out gated Lee Complin and blocked his every move for four laps . Complin was exciting to watch , but one dimensional . James knew he would use the outside line . Complin was all over James' back wheel and looked to have much more speed , but couldn't get past James as he covered the outside run every lap 

So really it didn't matter how wide the straight was. Actually at Newcastle other riders used to do exactly the same to James.

2 hours ago, gmuncie said:

Hopefully the changes have the desired effect. When Ashfield first opened it was one of the best tracks in the country then unfortunately changes had to be made due to the football and it was never quite the same.

Unfortunately technology has taken over in the sport.

10 hours ago, highroad119 said:

i really hope the track work pays off. Far too many races were spread out after the 1st 2 bends last season and i felt entertainment was sadly lacking in far too many meetings. Everyone just headed for the wide line round the fence and stayed there with Steve Worrall i think being an exception and had a race where he passed on the inside on bend 4? Hopefully this work is the final piece in the jigsaw.

Thats partly a consequence of having 2 point riders on both teams, the gulf from No1 to 7 was ridiculous. Newcastle on one visit had Coles and Hopwood who were adrift after a lap in almost every heat. Thats cost cutting at its worst, i would have preferred six man teams to last season.

If the track is 2m wider the fastest line hopefully wont be sitting 6 inches off the fence. Looking forward to it already.

13 hours ago, MANSE said:

Are you talking about Workington your on the wrong thread 

Was the worst PLRC I watched last season at Glasgow bored to tears  ...lets hope the new track has no weeds growing on the back straight, was quite a garden growing there last season !!

Think you will find with doc overlooking the trackwork at least. We will all know it will be done right.

Talking about your own track Taylorj .I think you will find facilities at Ashfield  are far superior to anything at  Derwent park [still trying to find the weeds you spoke about ]

26 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Was the worst PLRC I watched last season at Glasgow bored to tears  ...lets hope the new track has no weeds growing on the back straight, was quite a garden growing there last season !!

You been to them all then. And as for weeds think you may be mistaken from years gone by when it was like that in-fact were you really there last year.