British Speedway Forum

A little help required if you don't mind

To cut a long story short, my 10 year old lad, when given the choice of a few days away with his old man, and told he could pick anywhere in reason  to go, has chosen Scotland

End of May/Start of June, so a quick look at the fixtures show me Glasgow are riding at home against Scunthorpe, I will be flying up to Edinburgh on the Thursday so will be completely reliant on public transport. Is it a fairly easy thing to get from the speedway back to Edinburgh after the meeting, baring in mind I have a youngish kid with me?

Or would it be better to get accommodation in Glasgow for the Friday night?

Thanks in advance

Being from the East I would suggest staying in Glasgow on the Friday after speedway,as you would take while to get back to Edinburgh on public transport.Bus and train required just to get back to Edinburgh not taking into account where  you are staying in Edinburgh.Good 2 hrs travelling at least IMO .

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Being from the East I would suggest staying in Glasgow on the Friday after speedway,as you would take while to get back to Edinburgh on public transport.Bus and train required just to get back to Edinburgh not taking into account where  you are staying in Edinburgh.Good 2 hrs travelling at least IMO .

Thanks for that, I've not booked a hotel yet but was looking in Edinburgh old town centre so wouldn't be too far from Waverley, would a taxi be ridiculously expensive?

How easy is it to get from Ashfield to Queen Street station?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wiseguy said:

Thanks for that, I've not booked a hotel yet but was looking in Edinburgh old town centre so wouldn't be too far from Waverley, would a taxi be ridiculously expensive?

It will take you 10 mins to get from the stadium to Queen Street Station, I will let someone advise on the Waverley one as I am not too sure.  

Edited by Gazc

13 minutes ago, Wiseguy said:

Hotel prices in Edinburgh are high,would think Glasgow would be cheaper.Will leave Ashfield to Queen Street to someone who knows better than me its not far though Mayebe £8- £10 taxi fare.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gazc said:

It will take you 10 mins to get from the stadium to Queen Street Station, I will let someone advise on the Waverley one as I am not too sure.  

Appreciate the info Gazc, 10 minutes seems ok, +1 hour from Glasgow to Edinburgh, and thanks for the message

It will be Friday 1st June  v Scunthorpe, I will message you a bit nearer the time

The cab querie was getting a taxi from Ashfield back to Edinburgh if no trains were unavailable

Coming to the speedway was not my reason to come to Scotland, but would love to catch a meeting while I'm there

38 minutes ago, Wiseguy said:

Appreciate the info Gazc, 10 minutes seems ok, +1 hour from Glasgow to Edinburgh, and thanks for the message

It will be Friday 1st June  v Scunthorpe, I will message you a bit nearer the time

The cab querie was getting a taxi from Ashfield back to Edinburgh if no trains were unavailable

Coming to the speedway was not my reason to come to Scotland, but would love to catch a meeting while I'm there

Mis-understood on the taxi query it will take around 1 hour to the centre of Edinburgh and 70-80 pounds or thereabouts.

13 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Mis-understood on the taxi query it will take around 1 hour to the centre of Edinburgh and 70-80 pounds or thereabouts.

Thanks, I'll  have to have a think about it, really wanted to stay in Edinburgh both night's but will perhaps look into staying in Glasgow

46 minutes ago, Wiseguy said:

Thanks, I'll  have to have a think about it, really wanted to stay in Edinburgh both night's but will perhaps look into staying in Glasgow

Hotel prices in Central Edinburgh at that time of year are extortionate.

Does the speedway bus not still go to and from Armadiddle from the centre of Edinburgh>

58 minutes ago, TheScotsman said:

Does the speedway bus not still go to and from Armadiddle from the centre of Edinburgh>

He's going to Glasgow though!

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Hotel prices in Central Edinburgh at that time of year are extortionate.

So I see, but coming from the south east it's similar to London or any other European city so have found a couple reasonable deals, but they are based on 2 night's hence not really wanting to stay in Glasgow although will spend the day there Friday to see the sights

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wiseguy said:

So I see, but coming from the south east it's similar to London or any other European city so have found a couple reasonable deals, but they are based on 2 night's hence not really wanting to stay in Glasgow although will spend the day there Friday to see the sights

Kelvingrove Museum andTransport Museum are well worth a visit and are free entry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiseguy said:

The Gorbals regeneration is worth a look, on second thoughts give that a miss, but seriously you are only 30 minutes from the cente of Glasgow to Loch Lomond National park one of Scotlands most scenic areas.

Plenty going on in both cities enjoy your trip.

• Like 1