British Speedway Forum

6 minutes ago, MD said:

So its Vissing and Starke who'll adequately cover two rides, the same cant be said for the other two.

We need a bit of nuance here to crunch the numbers and pull a rabbit out of the hat. Anyone got Dicksons number?

Might not be too bad away from home Claus, Paul and a  taccy sub should cover 3 of the rides :rolleyes: Stuart too busy doing other tracks, see from reports in the Star a big hole has developed at Poole but the track will get better - nothing like a positive spin on things

Almost 11.30 on the day of a Glasgow v Lakeside clash and no thread on this forum for the meeting. Sadly speaks volumes. 

In previous years there would have been several pages by now. In my opinion, this year in particular has put a few more nails in the coffin of speedway, mainly due to reduced and inconsistent fixtures. Bad enough for us long term fans but how must it be for newbies?

Missing riders is another main factor causing lack of interest. Riders doubling up and being committed to riding abroad and in other competitions is doing speedway no good whatsoever. I do understand the shortage of riders but that is due to the sport becoming "professional" and far too expensive for Joe Bloggs to take part in. 

I have always kind of poo pooed the people constantly saying our sport is in decline but I can see and feel a big slide this year. It must be totally disheartening for promotions such as Glasgow who have put so much into improving facilities and attracting new supporters. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Almost 11.30 on the day of a Glasgow v Lakeside clash and no thread on this forum for the meeting. Sadly speaks volumes. 

In previous years there would have been several pages by now. In my opinion, this year in particular has put a few more nails in the coffin of speedway, mainly due to reduced and inconsistent fixtures. Bad enough for us long term fans but how must it be for newbies?

Missing riders is another main factor causing lack of interest. Riders doubling up and being committed to riding abroad and in other competitions is doing speedway no good whatsoever. I do understand the shortage of riders but that is due to the sport becoming "professional" and far too expensive for Joe Bloggs to take part in. 

I have always kind of poo pooed the people constantly saying our sport is in decline but I can see and feel a big slide this year. It must be totally disheartening for promotions such as Glasgow who have put so much into improving facilities and attracting new supporters. 

It’s also disappointing that a thread was created for the postponed fixture and that now has 2 pages of comments with some people moaning/complaining but nobody set up the thread for tonight’s meeting. 

I suspect those same people would have complained about Saturday nights fixture going ahead and the lack of support at the meeting  caused by the football and the resulting financial implications. 

I find it frustrating that so many people choose to be negative about the sport instead of embracing the positives. 

1 hour ago, ragdoll64 said:

Thats a fair comment, though I would add the Edinburgh home defeat was an absolute sickener and crowds have been noticeably lower from then. Its also the school summer holidays so people may be away.

Looking forward to tonight anyway, reckon RL will be superb on his return.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Solidmango said:

It’s also disappointing that a thread was created for the postponed fixture and that now has 2 pages of comments with some people moaning/complaining but nobody set up the thread for tonight’s meeting. 

I suspect those same people would have complained about Saturday nights fixture going ahead and the lack of support at the meeting  caused by the football and the resulting financial implications. 

I find it frustrating that so many people choose to be negative about the sport instead of embracing the positives. 

I've been embracing the positives since 1964 Solidmango......but I just feel that this year's decisions re fixtures by the BSPA have not done the sport any good whatsoever. That, on top of our inability to sustain regular racing days, has had an impact on attendance and interest. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

I've been embracing the positives since 1964 Solidmango......but I just feel that this year's decisions re fixtures by the BSPA have not done the sport any good whatsoever. That, on top of our inability to sustain regular racing days, has had an impact on attendance and interest. 

Not having regular racing each weekend is a massive issue. Makes a mockery of starting our league the third week in March when we could have started over a month later. Last year we had A and B fixtures against each team but the problem on top of too many meetings was you could already see long before the A fixtures were completed who were the strugglers and who were top end material. This year its not enough meetings as well as a poorly planned fixture list for some clubs like Workington. Sometimes wish the clubs in our league would form a breakaway and take control of their own management rather than play second fiddle to the alleged Premiership.

• Like 8

Our league ha always been better run, I don't know why we always seem to give in to the big boys and end up playing second fiddle to them. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:45 PM, ragdoll64 said:

The lack of regular fixtures is for me the straw that broke the camels back.  I had already become fed up with a few things, the length of time meetings take these days to run, too many delays and no need for an interval, too much dilly dally, and a whole load of things, so when you are encouraged to get out of the habit of attending you don't need that much persuasion.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, MD said:

Not having regular racing each weekend is a massive issue. Makes a mockery of starting our league the third week in March when we could have started over a month later. Last year we had A and B fixtures against each team but the problem on top of too many meetings was you could already see long before the A fixtures were completed who were the strugglers and who were top end material. This year its not enough meetings as well as a poorly planned fixture list for some clubs like Workington. Sometimes wish the clubs in our league would form a breakaway and take control of their own management rather than play second fiddle to the alleged Premiership.

In total agreement.

14 hours ago, BigBoaby said:

The lack of regular fixtures is for me the straw that broke the camels back.  I had already become fed up with a few things, the length of time meetings take these days to run, too many delays and no need for an interval, too much dilly dally, and a whole load of things, so when you are encouraged to get out of the habit of attending you don't need that much persuasion.

Interesting to hear from a home fan that time taken to run meetings is an annoyance. 

When I mentioned this as a reason not to go a couple of years back I was roundly criticised by Tiggers fans. 

No official update on Lewis Kerr and his unfortunate injury - as it sounds pretty serious and a season ender? And as mentioned on another thread, we have up to 7.52 for a replacement - if required?!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Kerr & Worrall out, Cook & Grieves in.

how are you going to swing the cook move then ? that will be a rule breaker if that happens lol.

plus he will miss an awful lot of Friday and Saturday  fixtures for Glasgow . yea . go ahead with that one !

Edited by jenga