British Speedway Forum

11 hours ago, Gazc said:

Replace Harris with Kerr and replace Vissing with Summers and replace Sarjeant with Coty jobs a good un . Although based on this year would doubt Starke will be back.

What make up the leagues and averages will be in who knows but I agree with getting rid of the average system it is far too easy to abuse grading is the way to go.

But regardless on structure averages etc if it is at all possible to get Craig Cook back next season then it is a no brainer for me.

have all these guys ridden for Glasgow at one time or another , but not at the same time ? keep the young un in the side (jack) and watch him develop through the season . its going to be interesting watching Glasgow build a team in 2019 .best of luck, i maybe your year next year .

16 minutes ago, jenga said:

have all these guys ridden for Glasgow at one time or another , but not at the same time ? keep the young un in the side (jack) and watch him develop through the season . its going to be interesting watching Glasgow build a team in 2019 .best of luck, i maybe your year next year .

Yep i would have Jack in the team showed glimpses of potential it is a trek for him though so we shall see.

Yes all have ridden for us at one time or another.

13 hours ago, MD said:

Im not sure what relevance teams from 30 odd years ago have to today. The bikes, acceleration, track prep etc are all markedly different. Arena Essex and Newcastle also dont (or didnt) ride at Ashfield. Each track shape will determine what type of team each team needs. My post referred to Glasgow and Glasgow alone that a strong top 5 has never worked for us, even going back to 2006 when we had Danny Bird, Shane Parker, Kauko Nieminen et al. I agree there is often another factor or factors which get in the way such as injuries or in our case Harris treating us as second class. For Glasgow our league success in 2011 came as a result of Joe Screen at the top and four different riders sharing the reserve berth over the season, as one found it heavy going at No2 , he would drop to reserve, rapidly find his confidence and bang in heavy points. The team was much better balanced with Nick Morris the serious improver that year. We need to find a Nick Morris again for 2019.

Blah blah blah.  What a load of garbage.  You're talking through a hole in your backside.  They didn't ride at Ashfield.  Aye right.  Poole don't ride at Ashfield either.  What a load of guff.

Obviously team full of 10 point men would fail around Ashfield.  You're talking crap.  According to you a 10 point man will always lose to a 5 pointer.  Absolute mince.

The one consistent factor in championship winning teams throughout the points limit era has been improving averages and if you don't know that you know nuthin.  To quote you, maybe you have no relevance today.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigBoaby said:

Blah blah blah.  What a load of garbage.  You're talking through a hole in your backside.  They didn't ride at Ashfield.  Aye right.  Poole don't ride at Ashfield either.  What a load of guff.

Obviously team full of 10 point men would fail around Ashfield.  You're talking crap.  According to you a 10 point man will always lose to a 5 pointer.  Absolute mince.

The one consistent factor in championship winning teams throughout the points limit era has been improving averages and if you don't know that you know nuthin.  To quote you, maybe you have no relevance today.

Here was me thinking a reasoned debate could be had.

• Like 1

This years team had improvements from 4 riders, Vissing,Sarjeant,Thomas and Kerr before he got injured, the problem was Harris and Starke lost over 1.5 between them and Worrall was down about a point before he left for Edinburgh.

With a lower points limit being the rumour for next season Cook would take up a chunk of points but he does do the business in the big races!

A new Aussie or American might be the way to go to get a better balance plus it’s something different for the fans to look forward to

3 minutes ago, Tigerforever said:

This years team had improvements from 4 riders, Vissing,Sarjeant,Thomas and Kerr before he got injured, the problem was Harris and Starke lost over 1.5 between them and Worrall was down about a point before he left for Edinburgh.

With a lower points limit being the rumour for next season Cook would take up a chunk of points but he does do the business in the big races!

A new Aussie or American might be the way to go to get a better balance plus it’s something different for the fans to look forward to

Diluting the product is not the way to win fan's back as reducing the fixture list wasn't this year if indeed this is the case, it never worked before and I will hazard a guess that it won't work again.

The whole product needs a good shake up with fresh ideas not going back over old ground again and again and again. 

I think it’s more to do with there being the same 11 teams in the Championship compared to 7/8 coming to the tapes next season.

the Championship is now too close to the Premiership and it has riders earning big money that clubs simply can’t afford anymore.

its no secret that more than half lost serious money again in 2018, I’m not sure it has been diluted as the points limit was 42.50 a few years back and that included bonus points, now it’s 42.50 without bonus points, which in some teams cases adds up to over 45 points, and it still didn’t bring in more crowds. It’s the product although I do agree regular racing would certainly help.

1 minute ago, Mr Blobby said:

You can have Cook at a large price.

Well yous could certainly do with the cash lol, on a more serious note the Edinburgh team including bonus points is over a 50 point average combined, is it any wonder clubs are losing money,  a 50 point plus team and the crowds are not up from previous years, why?

6 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

You can have Cook at a large price.

Day's of buying riders have come to an end asset base will be rendered useless and riders are self employed and will ride where it suits them best.

All of the above will come to fruition soon.

16 hours ago, Gazc said:

Replace Harris with Kerr and replace Vissing with Summers and replace Sarjeant with Coty jobs a good un . Although based on this year would doubt Starke will be back.

What make up the leagues and averages will be in who knows but I agree with getting rid of the average system it is far too easy to abuse grading is the way to go.

But regardless on structure averages etc if it is at all possible to get Craig Cook back next season then it is a no brainer for me.

Grading's will not work as the teams with the most money payable through better sponsorship or income(revenue) will always pick the cream of the grading's. To stop manipulation of the averages towards the end of the season, & this has been mentioned possibly every year for the last few years, is to remove the lowest 2 or 3 scores for their averages.

• Like 1

Agree with IronScorpion on this one

Taking out the top and bottom of the sample is the best way of dealing with any potential manipulation

I know they do it in the diving marking but never known why. Maybe it is to remove biased & unbiased marking. They should maybe do it in the Eurovision Song Contest as that is VERY BIASED.

4 hours ago, BigBoaby said:

workington only have a slight increase in riders averages and yet are proving to be the form sides to beat. 

but that could change when we get to the go cart track (rye house) and the eddie wright raceway or the other one called armadump . (but we have already done that one .

23 hours ago, Tigerforever said:

Well yous could certainly do with the cash lol, on a more serious note the Edinburgh team including bonus points is over a 50 point average combined, is it any wonder clubs are losing money,  a 50 point plus team and the crowds are not up from previous years, why?

Would you rather they averages 30 points? We make teams to win trophies not to just take part.