British Speedway Forum

To "BenR195":

No need for derogatory sarcasm and derisive language.

You are, in fact, incorrect. I have an antidote answer for every point you have made. You will also find them already in various threads on this forum as points made by others and one or two myself. I am perfectly capable of debating / discussing anything with anybody. That I do not do so in reply to juvenile and insulting responses is to be expected. Kindly refrain from further derisive language. Thank you.

To everyone else:

Posters know me by now on here. I can debate / discuss anything with anybody. Especially when its in an adult like manner and many will have a different view and that's fine. Different views are good. But they should, of course, be with a reasonable level of courtesy and respect. I aint perfect and nor is anyone else but we do our best.

Generally:

If some of us are less than encouraged by the shambles that has been 2017 season with long gaps in the schedule throughout the season, culminating in fixture congestion, "Guest Fest" matches and all the rest then we are (less than encouraged). A few of the end of season matches that were very poorly attended are testimony to that. So myself nor anyone else shouldn't be derided for our attendance being that bit less and told by some disrespectful uncouth jumped up upstart that we have no right to comment nor discuss. This is a discussion forum - of course we are entitled to comment and discuss. Some of us can remember such as the old Hyde Road stadium - now that was a real speedway track and stadium (that some jumped up upstarts these days have never even been in). The sport thrived back then and there was no doubling up. Nor have I ever said anything about 30 teams, I've only mentioned potential amalgamation of two divisions, whether this be the first and second, or the second and third. It might not be such a bad idea to merge the second and third tiers, as I personally think it would be no bad thing to simplify things, cut costs, and have no globe trotting prima donna's. A regular settled team of riders that supporters can identify with as being "their" team would be a start, rather than the different "Guest Fest" list every week and R/R shambles that doubling up has greatly contributed to. And we are all entitled to our opinion, even me.

So let me get this straight, I call you a fake fan and you tell me to stop being personal and stop insulting you, then you label me as a disrespectful uncouth jumped up upstart and a juvenile, pot calling kettle black in my opinion

I call you a fake fan

Incorrect. I've probably attended more speedway matches than some of us have had hot dinners. How many times did you attend the old Hyde Road stadium? Ever?

Yes I have asked you to refrain from personal derogatory insults - and correctly so given your comments which I have correctly noted as being of a juvenile nature. Note also that I have followed correctly to 'attack the post not the poster' as per forum etiquette and the forum rules i.e. by referring to the post content itself (your comments as being of a juvenile nature). You also incorrectly say that I have referred to you when I have not, it appears you have adopted a general note as applying to yourself which is entirely up to you.

Conversely you have not followed forum rules and you have called me 'a fake fan' - which is false and which I am offended by. I have therefore reported post #136 to the forum moderators as contravening forum rules which specifically require posters to attack the post not the contributer (poster).

THOUGHT THE HEADING WAS GLASGOW 2018 ?

But this is more interesting!

Mr.Just puts his case very well.

Clearly a well educated man.

And not a weej.

Incorrect. I've probably attended more speedway matches than some of us have had hot dinners. How many times did you attend the old Hyde Road stadium? Ever?

Yes I have asked you to refrain from personal derogatory insults - and correctly so given your comments which I have correctly noted as being of a juvenile nature. Note also that I have followed correctly to 'attack the post not the poster' as per forum etiquette and the forum rules i.e. by referring to the post content itself (your comments as being of a juvenile nature). You also incorrectly say that I have referred to you when I have not, it appears you have adopted a general note as applying to yourself which is entirely up to you.

Conversely you have not followed forum rules and you have called me 'a fake fan' - which is false and which I am offended by. I have therefore reported post #136 to the forum moderators as contravening forum rules which specifically require posters to attack the post not the contributer (poster).

(So myself nor anyone else shouldn't be derided for our attendance being that bit less and told by some disrespectful uncouth jumped up upstart that we have no right to comment nor discuss) - seems to me that you are aiming that at me personally since I have mentioned your attendance in previous posts, but hey, I dont get offended over stupid words so say what you like to me, ill take it on the chin, I have my opinion, and i disagree with your actions, not gonna change my mind on what Ive said

Didn't Glasgow legend Steve Lawson double up at Hyde Road?

You're right, though was it not a trial for potentially signing fulltime i.e. only for BV in the coming season but which offer he ultimately turned down and decided to remain in the old NL. Was there not also a story about Steve scoring well from his programmed rides from reserve in a match and when he thought he was going to be asked to take an additional ride as reserve replacement he hid in the toilet?

Back then of course any doubling up was more isolated and not widespread as it has become in more recent seasons. Even when doubling up was formally introduced a few seasons ago was its aim not to assist young up and coming riders so that they could be introduced to the top tier of speedway and take the step up more gradually rather than in the old BL/NL days when a 9 or 10 point second tier rider would fail in the top tier or never get past reserve/second string stage in the BL. In any case it seems that the aim and purpose of doubling up has been lost in recent seasons as being only to help solve a shortage of riders when the very instigation of doubling up may have possibly (maybe just maybe) have partly caused the shortage as when riders started to double up some established riders found that there was no place for them and they retired or gave up the sport sooner than they might otherwise have done, just a thought. Anyway, back on topic, I for one would welcome Glasgow having fewer doubling up riders or indeed none at all and instead having a team of riders that ride solely for the Tigers and whom supporters can identify with as being Glasgow riders that will always ride for the team (barring injury of course and hopefully 2018 is a season free of injuries as well).

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway
  • Like 1

Didn't Glasgow legend Steve Lawson double up at Hyde Road?

Derek Richardson too?

And no doubt Merv Janke & Mick McKeon would have ridden there when visiting with Halifax?

I'm showing my age now !

I think you will find that was the case, Joe and Tom Owen were used by Hull, Steve Lawson was also used by Cradley but these riders always rode firstly for their National League side ahead of their British League side (The old names for the league's). So history shows that this was already happening in the 70's and 80's but today it is just ridiculous.

• Like 3

(So myself nor anyone else shouldn't be derided for our attendance being that bit less and told by some disrespectful uncouth jumped up upstart that we have no right to comment nor discuss) - seems to me that you are aiming that at me personally since I have mentioned your attendance in previous posts, but hey, I dont get offended over stupid words so say what you like to me, ill take it on the chin, I have my opinion, and i disagree with your actions, not gonna change my mind on what Ive said

Have you considered changing your username to Cinderella? Didn't she find a shoe that she thought fitted? Apologies, my sense of humour got the better of me there. :D

As regards the part which you quote you are, in fact, wrong to assume that I was referring to you and, in fact, I did not mention your name at all nor anyone else's. I was actually meaning generally and in 'future-tense' only, i.e. if something were to occur from this point forth in the future so it was a general observation under the heading of 'generally'. That clarified, no offence was intended be it to you or anyone else contemplating doing such a thing, i.e. in the future.

At least it appears we understand one another better. I'm happy to discuss anything, different opinions are good. But they should of course always be with a reasonable level of courtesy and respect.

Enjoy your speedway. :t:

Have you considered changing your username to Cinderella? Didn't she find a shoe that she thought fitted? Apologies, my sense of humour got the better of me there. :D

As regards the part which you quote you are, in fact, wrong to assume that I was referring to you and, in fact, I did not mention your name at all nor anyone else's. I was actually meaning generally and in 'future-tense' only, i.e. if something were to occur from this point forth in the future so it was a general observation under the heading of 'generally'. That clarified, no offence was intended be it to you or anyone else contemplating doing such a thing, i.e. in the future.

At least it appears we understand one another better. I'm happy to discuss anything, different opinions are good. But they should of course always be with a reasonable level of courtesy and respect.

Enjoy your speedway. :t:

Enjoy your armchair 😂

Enjoy your armchair

Actually I prefer to stand at matches.

I assume you use an armchair? ;)

A question just for my own interest.

Back in the day when there was little or no doubling up most 2nd division riders when they were ready moved up to the 1st division.

Today because of doubling up most don't and because of it the Championship league has better riders and is a lot stronger than it would be without it as these riders would have to be replaced with National league riders or low grade European riders..I recon that if this was still the case or if they stop doubleing up next season then around 20 of the top 30 riders in the Championship league would/will have moved up or just ride in the Premier league.

ie Cook, Worralls, Lambert.Lawson,Grajzonic,Holder,Harris,King,Bjerre,Masters,Wells etc.

Now the Question is if they can sort out and have separate nights for both leagues next year so that there are no clashes.Do Championship fans still want the top riders in their league and have the rider ride for a Premier team as well or will they be ok with them moving up and will be happier with a much weaker league with no doubling up where the riders only ride for their team.

Look forward to hearing your points of view.Thanks.

Edited by B.V 72

Think sorting out Both Leagues for fixed race night will be more difficult than assumed given all the factors!

Actually I prefer to stand at matches.

I assume you use an armchair? ;)

Youve said you stopped going coz of doubling up so do you go to meetings or not? and nah, I dont stand and watch, Im in the pits working

Youve said you stopped going coz of doubling up so do you go to meetings or not? and nah, I dont stand and watch, Im in the pits working

Nope. Never said that at all. I said that as with others given sparse attendance last couple of meetings that I had "reduced" my attendance. I've probably attended more speedway meetings than many have had hot dinners and I've often visited multiple tracks so not just one track. I don't get to quite as many different tracks as I used to but have still been attending. There is a difference between (1) reduced from a high number to still a lot, compared with (2) none at all. You seem to have assumed the second.

So you don't stand and watch, you're in the pits. Bit of an aside, but seems you're not seeing things from the perspective of a paying to get in supporter so are you really in a position to criticise poorer attendances, what they want to or don't want to pay to see, and what factors might influence the paying public. ;)

Anyway, moving on, ever been in the pits at the old Hyde Road stadium? Now that was a speedway track and proper stadium.

Btw, here, have a wine gum. :)

Nope. Never said that at all. I said that as with others given sparse attendance last couple of meetings that I had "reduced" my attendance. I've probably attended more speedway meetings than many have had hot dinners and I've often visited multiple tracks so not just one track. I don't get to quite as many different tracks as I used to but have still been attending. There is a difference between (1) reduced from a high number to still a lot, compared with (2) none at all. You seem to have assumed the second.

So you don't stand and watch, you're in the pits. Bit of an aside, but seems you're not seeing things from the perspective of a paying to get in supporter so are you really in a position to criticise poorer attendances, what they want to or don't want to pay to see, and what factors might influence the paying public. ;)

Anyway, moving on, ever been in the pits at the old Hyde Road stadium? Now that was a speedway track and proper stadium.

Btw, here, have a wine gum. :)

My suggestion to both of you, rent a roped off area, and bat the living daylights out of each other there. Might be able to sell tickets for The Ben Fund