British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

Long Eaton Track Record 1950

Guest compost

Hi

Does anyone know the Long Eaton track record at the Start of the 1950 season ?

Many thanks

Hi

Does anyone know the Long Eaton track record at the Start of the 1950 season ?

Many thanks

My files suggest that it was 84.4, set by Fred Strecker on 2nd November 1929. That was the last meeting of the season. A meeting was staged at the track on 10th June 1930 between Nottingham and Leicester Stadium, with the fastest time recorded at that meeting being 87.6. I have no record of any further official meetings at Long Eaton until 1950.

I'd imagine the track record was broken in the first meeting of 1950?If so what was the record at the end of that meeting/season?

Reading about the re-opening it mentions one of the Promotion was a Billy Galloway!!!Is that the Billy Galloway the pioneer Australian,who must have stayed in the UK i guess?

Edited by iris123

Guest compost

I'd imagine the track record was broken in the first meeting of 1950?If so what was the record at the end of that meeting/season?

Reading about the re-opening it mentions one of the Promotion was a Billy Galloway!!!Is that the Billy Galloway the pioneer Australian,who must have stayed in the UK i guess?

On re-opening the track record at the end of the first meeting in 1950 was 73.6 set in heat 1 of the challenge match by Lionel Watling. At the end of the season it was 72.0 set by Eric Mason in heat 2 of the challenge match against St.Austell on the 21st September (details from Researcher file).

Can't help you re Billy Galloway.

On re-opening the track record at the end of the first meeting in 1950 was 73.6 set in heat 1 of the challenge match by Lionel Watling. At the end of the season it was 72.0 set by Eric Mason in heat 2 of the challenge match against St.Austell on the 21st September (details from Researcher file).

Can't help you re Billy Galloway.

The details shown on the Researcher file need checking as Stenner's 1951 annual shows the Long Eaton track record as 72.6 by Eric Minall on 31st August 1950.

Guest compost

The details shown on the Researcher file need checking as Stenner's 1951 annual shows the Long Eaton track record as 72.6 by Eric Minall on 31st August 1950.

Just checked the file on the website and it does show 72.0 on the date given in my post.

Correct answer for TR at end of 1950 is Eric Minall 72.6 (as per Stenners)

The result of heat 2 on 21 September was indeed a win for Eric Mason, but his time was 74.2.

Evidence:

1) 21 Sept filled in programme gives time as 74.2

2)28 Sept and 12 Oct progs still show TR as 72.6 by Eric Minall

nb the only other rider to hold the record during the year was Len Williams (Sheffield) who set a new fastest time of 73.0 on 7 August

Not sure if it is that Billy Galloway, but the officials of Long Eaton at the time were listed as S.H.Lish - Manager of the speedway company, Bob Peett - Promotor & Racing Manager. Also members of the speedway company were W.A.Galloway from Hanley and W.Boyer from London.

Not sure if it is that Billy Galloway, but the officials of Long Eaton at the time were listed as S.H.Lish - Manager of the speedway company, Bob Peett - Promotor & Racing Manager. Also members of the speedway company were W.A.Galloway from Hanley and W.Boyer from London.

I believe that the rider was W.H.Galloway.

I believe that the rider was W.H.Galloway.

Might still be the same person. My info came from a local paper, and as we all know the press don't always get it right.

Interestingly I also found an advert in a Scottish newspaper from 1947 of a Billy Galloway inviting people to "Come and see Scotland's Speed Men" at Torrance Grass Track every Saturday. Maybe this was also the same person.

Edited by HertsRacer
  • Like 1