British Speedway Forum
uk_martin

Craig Cook - Off The Speedway Control Board's Xmas Card List

Surely a lot of this is speculation. If a Rider has a condition the renders him unable to ride, from time to time, then he should be covered by a Doctor's Note. If this is so - then there is no argument.

Unsure whether the Ban he received is justified or not, especially in view of other culprits.

Surely the "ban" is because of his illness, not because of his absence?

Therefore he must have had a Note.

End of story really.

Therefore he must have had a Note.

End of story really.

No it isn't, it's in the rules that they can impose a seven day rest period on any rider claiming sickness, as he seems to do this before certain selected meetings and didn't inform them in time to get a replacement, it's understandable and quite surprising that another GB international hasn't yet copped for the same thing.

No it isn't, it's in the rules that they can impose a seven day rest period on any rider claiming sickness, as he seems to do this before certain selected meetings and didn't inform them in time to get a replacement, it's understandable and quite surprising that another GB international hasn't yet copped for the same thing.

Fair comment ff. :t:

• Like 1

...it's understandable and quite surprising that another GB international hasn't yet copped for the same thing.

So is this a damning verdict on the conduct, professionalism and discipline of the top British riders? No wonder they never do any good outside of their own back yards.

Do people ever bother to read the rules.

A rider missing a meeting because of sickness or a non related speedway injury must produce a medical certificate within 48 hours of the injury or sickness and is AUTOMATICALLY prevented from returning within 7 days by the SCB. The BSPA Management Committee have a discretion to permit a return within that 7 days.

A rider who doesn't produce a medical certificate is suspended for his next home meeting and that suspension cannot be removed by anybody.

Cook was given a 7 day period of inactivity so it appears he did produce a medical certificate. Otherwise, it would have been the mandatory next home match ban. We also know from what he has said that he is presently being prescribed medication so it would seem he would have no problem getting a certificate.

Side effects are common with prescription medicines, just look at the printed list you get with every medicine these days and can be serious and debilitating. I suspect the same people who are critical of Craig would be the first to condemn him if he had raced, caused an accident and it was later discovered he was suffering from side effects that could have contributed to the accident. I can't imagine that any responsible referee would allow a rider to take part in a meeting if the rider told him he was suffering side affects from medication which may put him and his fellow competitors at risk of injury. What he did was correct and responsible.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 5

I don't know how the hell you get a doctor's appt with 48 hours! its usually next week for me

• Like 3

I don't know how the hell you get a doctor's appt with 48 hours! its usually next week for me

Could this be part of the confusion and the reason for the BSPA ruling,In Scotland you can self - certificate for work purposes for 7 days before you have to produce a sickness certificate from a doctor.So Cook can say he is ill( non speedway related) and not need a certificate.If the guy is ill fair enough ,BUT!!!!!!

Do people ever bother to read the rules.

A rider missing a meeting because of sickness or a non related speedway injury must produce a medical certificate within 48 hours of the injury or sickness and is AUTOMATICALLY prevented from returning within 7 days by the SCB. The BSPA Management Committee have a discretion to permit a return within that 7 days.

A rider who doesn't produce a medical certificate is suspended for his next home meeting and that suspension cannot be removed by anybody.

Cook was given a 7 day period of inactivity so it appears he did produce a medical certificate. Otherwise, it would have been the mandatory next home match ban. We also know from what he has said that he is presently being prescribed medication so it would seem he would have no problem getting a certificate.

Side effects are common with prescription medicines, just look at the printed list you get with every medicine these days and can be serious and debilitating. I suspect the same people who are critical of Craig would be the first to condemn him if he had raced, caused an accident and it was later discovered he was suffering from side effects that could have contributed to the accident. I can't imagine that any responsible referee would allow a rider to take part in a meeting if the rider told him he was suffering side affects from medication which may put him and his fellow competitors at risk of injury. What he did was correct and responsible.

As he was so ill on Saturday did he pull out of Belle Vues match on Monday at the same time ??
  • Like 1

I think if you take an alternative medicine as prescribed by a doctor for a long term illness that has unanticipated side effects making you feel too ill to ride you stop taking them and hope after two days of abstainance the unanticipated side effects making you too ill to ride have passed by then allowing you to ride.

True. I keep away from doctors whenever possible and have managed to avoid any physio by keeping a low profile. :lol: I did need a 12 month review for my blood pressure medication though and have had to wait 5 weeks for an appointment. Going this afternoon so must keep relaxed and not read any irritating posts on here. :P

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

True. I keep away from doctors whenever possible and have managed to avoid any physio by keeping a low profile. :lol: I did need a 12 month review for my blood pressure medication though and have had to wait 5 weeks for an appointment. Going this afternoon so must keep relaxed and not read any irritating posts on here. :P

Irrelevant, nothing to do with the thread.

Back to the subject......

Not all illness is physical, people under pressure can suffer from other debilitating illnesses, the effects of which can change from day to day.

Edited by sharpandroid
  • Like 1

Not all illness is physical, people under pressure can suffer from other debilitating illnesses, the effects of which can change from day to day.

No need to take that attitude with our Gemini, even if your name is "sharp...."

• Like 6

• Like 1