British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Argos

Ivan Mauger Bikes

Was anyone at the Sale of Ivan Maugers Bikes and memorabilia, just wondering how much they went for

The full results are available on the auctioneers website at bonhams.com

From a quick glance it looks as if the bikes all went for the ballpark of their auction estimates.
Top price being £18400 for the 1972 World Final machine.

Some bigger than expected prices seem to have been paid for the personal items like his helmets and kit.

I trust they all went to good homes where they will be greatly appreciated.

And that the Maugers are able to put the money realised to good use for Ivan, and for all the family.

Every penny is richly deserved.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 6

Folk will understand that while unable to give details, I can confirm at least 3 items went to a very good home - an enthusiastic Hull Vikings and speedway-in-general fan. Not me, more's the pity, but the most important thing is proceeds are going to a very good cause.....

• Like 1

Where on earth did he store all that stuff. A nice little earner for his family.

Where on earth did he store all that stuff. A nice little earner for his family.

I prefer to consider it a contribution to the ultimate legends unfortunate care and support needs.

• Like 3

IMO looking at the total sum raised from the sale it was not a huge amount ( no one can argue that Ivan was one of if not the greatest riders this sport has seen) in comparison to most other m/sports and I for one am sad that the collection has had to be sold .The value to the family I am sure was priceless and parting with it was more than a little heartbreaking under circumstances,I hope that it is able to help Ivan enjoy what time he has left in the most comfortable manner possible .

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 1

I guess Ivan would have raised much more if the sale had been at a time when speedway was actually popular. Must be a comparatively small pool of buyers nowadays.

I think we have to be careful about making assumptions. Ivan's current health, although of some public concern, is a private matter for the family. The family have also explained that they no longer have the space to properly store this enormous collection. The fear was that much of it would have ended up in storage away from the public eye.

As to the money. I am reliably informed that a cause dear to our hearts has benefited from this sale.

Let's enjoy the memory of the racing days of a giant in our sport.

• Like 1

I think we have to be careful about making assumptions. Ivan's current health, although of some public concern, is a private matter for the family. The family have also explained that they no longer have the space to properly store this enormous collection. The fear was that much of it would have ended up in storage away from the public eye.

As to the money. I am reliably informed that a cause dear to our hearts has benefited from this sale.

Let's enjoy the memory of the racing days of a giant in our sport.

I wasn`t making any assumptions where the money was going, merely pointing out that it had made a good amount for the Mauger family. What they do with it is for them to decide but if its as you say then its well done to them its going to a good cause.

I wonder what happened to the gold plated bike ,

I imagine it is still at Canterbury Museum, Christchurch.

It was on show there for some time before it was purchased by the Museum about a year or so ago.

• Like 1

I guess Ivan would have raised much more if the sale had been at a time when speedway was actually popular. Must be a comparatively small pool of buyers nowadays.

No it wouldn't have. Speedway bikes and memorabilia are at the moment the highest ithey've ever been especially upright bikes and race jackets. On saying that i was surprised how cheap the 2 lots of Ivan Mauger race jackets went for at the Bonham's auction.