British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Longest League Careers Post War

Guest compost

Re Tigerowls list.

Jack Parker rode in 20 seasons of League racing (as you included pre-war) - 1929-1954. As he also rode every year during the war, at Belle Vue, does that bring him in at 26 seasons ?

Re Tigerowls list.

Jack Parker rode in 20 seasons of League racing (as you included pre-war) - 1929-1954. As he also rode every year during the war, at Belle Vue, does that bring him in at 26 seasons ?

If you're going to count the War years, you should also count 1928, as he rode regularly that year as well, making 27 seasons in all.

These are the riders I reckon have had 20 years or more of active league racing. Pre-war years included. Apologies if I have missed anyone and queries welcome.

26 years

Nigel Boocock

Ah but. Having done some research recently, can anyone beat Nigel's 18 consequecutive seasons for the Bees. Only one I know who comes close is Les Owen with 17 consequecutive seasons with, who else but, the Bees.

Quite depressing that I witnessed the start of many of these riders' careers.

Edited by moxey63

Guest compost

If you're going to count the War years, you should also count 1928, as he rode regularly that year as well, making 27 seasons in all.

True and I did think about it however there is no way 1928 could be consider a 'league racing' season but 40-45 would have been had the war not occurred which is why I wondered if he (and others of course) could include these years in their tallies.

But the Thread Title definitely states "Post War". :unsure::unsure::blink:

It was post-WWI...😜

Steve

I have wondered who were the longest riding riders in the Leagues after 1946- say to the 1970's I don't know the answer to this but other forum landers undoubtedly will. Here are my two candidates - Jimmy Squibb and Ken McKinlay- I think Ken kept riding to the mid 70's and Jimmy seemed to be around for ever-the great swashbuckling Cap'n Jim- where are guys like this nowadays!!

Re Tigerowls list.

True and I did think about it however there is no way 1928 could be consider a 'league racing' season but 40-45 would have been had the war not occurred which is why I wondered if he (and others of course) could include these years in their tallies.

Spot on TWK. The thread title is Longest League Careers Post War :approve:And the OP also confirms the thread is designed for that period.

How did Squibb do 37 continuous seasons when the war interupted?.1939,1946-1975=30 seasons and as we are only counting post war from the OP then that is 29 seasons,if i haven't made a mistake!!!Just counted and i did,it is 30 seasons :oops::P

Don't forget who was the first person to remind people of this point :approve::approve::approve:

• Like 1

I've never liked the excuse, "You've taken my remarks out of context,” but here context is everything and it's a shame you obviously didn't read the comment I was responding to.

Guest compost

Apologies for going off thread and causing some angst. Though I was responding to a previous posting and had made other relevant postings.

A more accurate list for the thread title (having removed the pre war years)

29 years

Neil Collins, Jimmy Squibb

28 years

Les Collins

27 years

Ken McKinlay, Malcolm Simmons, Paul Thorp

26 years

Nigel Boocock, Peter Carr, Michael Coles, Alan Grahame, Gary Havelock

25 years

Martin Dixon, Paul Fry, Gordon Kennett, Alan Mogridge, Joe Screen

24 years

Tony Atkin, Jack Biggs, Barry Briggs, Bruce Cribb, Colin Gooddy, George Hunter, Gordon McGregor, Scott Nicholls, Stuart Robson, Andy Smith

23 years

Jon Armstrong, Mike Broadbank, James Grieves, Peter Karlsson, Leigh Lanham, David Mason, Reg Trott

22 years

Leigh Adams, Mark Burrows, Sam Ermolenko, Ronnie Genz, Richard Hellsen, Roger Johns, Jason Lyons, Ivan Mauger, Les McGillivray, Ron Mountford, Shane Parker, Norman Strachan

21 years

Billy Bales, Bobby Beaton, Andre Compton, John Davis, Rob Hollingworth, John Jorgensen, Mark Lemon, Mark Loram, Cyril Maidment, Jim McMillan, Ray Morton, Dave Mullett, David Norris, Alun Rossiter, Carl Stonehewer, Jim Tebby, Barry Thomas, Carl Wilkinson

20 years

Martin Ashby, Dean Barker, Craig Boyce, Eric Broadbelt, Howdy Byford, Louis Carr, Brian Collins, Mark Courtney, Lee Dicken, Jimmy Gooch, Chris Harris, David Howe, Paul Hurry, Dave Jessup, Chris Louis, Kenny McKinna, Mark Simmonds, Jan Staechmann, Simon Stead, Neil Street, Kelvin Tatum, Doug Templeton, Willie Templeton, Doug Wyer

• Like 3

Great work

Interesting for me to see the foreign riders who gave years of dedication to the leagues.Commonwealth riders to the fore,but riders like Karlsson,Ermolenko,Richard Hellsen(somewhat a surprise),Stekkers and although not in the list Olle Nygren all great servants to the sport in the country :t:

Ah but. Having done some research recently, can anyone beat Nigel's 18 consequecutive seasons for the Bees. Only one I know who comes close is Les Owen with 17 consequecutive seasons with, who else but, the Bees.

That surely deserves a thread of its own - longest association with one club

• Like 1