British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Longest League Careers Post War

I have wondered who were the longest riding riders in the Leagues after 1946- say to the 1970's I don't know the answer to this but other forum landers undoubtedly will. Here are my two candidates - Jimmy Squibb and Ken McKinlay- I think Ken kept riding to the mid 70's and Jimmy seemed to be around for ever-the great swashbuckling Cap'n Jim- where are guys like this nowadays!!

• Like 1

Olle Nygren must be up there with them especially if you include his time in the Swedish League before he came to Britain. In his British career he started maybe a year or two behind the Hurr-Ken, but continued perhaps a year or two longer.

I saw Olle a year or two back at Lakeside. He was then 87 years young, but still the same old Olle. Forthright in his opinions and plenty to say for himself.

Squibby would easily be the longest but his career was interrupted by the war. I am not sure exactly when he started league racing again after the war but it would probably have been about the same time as McKinlay and finished about the same time. Ken and Olle reached higher levels but Squibby, I would say probably had just about the longest post war career.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 2

Malcolm Simmons,whilst not making the top spot,must be up there.League debut in 1963 and last league rides in 2001 at the age of 57

• Like 1

Malcolm Simmons,whilst not making the top spot,must be up there.League debut in 1963 and last league rides in 2001 at the age of 57

I always remember the former European Trials Champion Don Smith saying you can tell if a man is a true enthusiast if her carriers on riding when he was "over the hill" . Super Simmo was, to my mind one of the great enthusiasts as well as one of my all time favourites.

Squibby actually started his career before the war, but looks to have had the longest continuous career, with a total of 37 seasons. I know there are others, and not all of these were racing leagues, but here are some of the front-runners.

Jimmy Squibb 37 (1939-1975)

Olle Nygren 32 (1948-1979)

Greg Hancock 31 (1987-2017)

Neil Collins 29 (1978-2006)

Les Collins 28 (1975-2002)

Ken McKinlay 28 (1948-1975)

Malcolm Simmons 27 (1963-1989)

Alan Mogridge 26 (1981-2006)

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Squibby actually started his career before the war, but looks to have had the longest continuous career, with a total of 37 seasons. I know there are others, and not all of these were racing leagues, but here are some of the front-runners.

Steve

How did Squibb do 37 continuous seasons when the war interupted?.1939,1946-1975=30 seasons and as we are only counting post war from the OP then that is 29 seasons,if i haven't made a mistake!!!Just counted and i did,it is 30 seasons :oops::P

And you have of course omitted the 2001 season that i already mentioned Simmo rode in ;)

Hancock has also been falsely calculated as he hasn't ridden continously in our leagues per the OP!!! I make it 19 seasons.Might be wrong

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

How did Squibb do 37 continuous seasons when the war interupted?.1939,1946-1975=30 seasons and as we are only counting post war from the OP then that is 29 seasons,if i haven't made a mistake!!!Just counted and i did,it is 30 seasons :oops::P

And you have of course omitted the 2001 season that i already mentioned Simmo rode in ;)

Hancock has also been falsely calculated as he hasn't ridden continously in our leagues per the OP!!! I make it 19 seasons.Might be wrong

Well, I did say that it wasn't ALL league action (Hancock). I also said "continuous", which rules out your favourite poster's input with Mr Morton, as well as Simmo! Also, I didn't include Hancock's youth racing career!

As far as Squibby, I thought it was worth mentioning that his career started before the war, and of course, even though league action in Britain was halted during the war, it is quite possible that he did ride in odd meetings (perhaps grass-track) during that period.

So, who else could be fitted into this elite group?

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Simmo rode League speedway from 1963-87 then had one season spells in 1989 and 1993. Can't recall him riding in 2001. although I believe he spoke to Mildenhall but certainly never rode for them!

I know he rode grasstrack into the 2000's!

Edited by 25yearfan

But you do seem to have included some of Hancocks pre-league career,since i think he made his debut in 1989?

So, who else could be fitted into this elite group?

Steve

Of course one of my favourites,Matten Kröger,who i have mentioned a few times :P rode from 1985 until last season for one team...Brokstedt and also had a brief spell with Somerset,just so we can include him :party:

Simmo rode League speedway from 1963-87 then had one season spells in 1989 and 1993. Can't recall him riding in 2001. although I believe he spoke to Mildenhall but certainly never rode for them!

I know he rode grasstrack into the 2000's!

Maybe you are right.Looked at Simmos wiki page and says he signed ,but that bit needs confirming

Having said that,i looked at the highly rated website by one of our speedway journalist members which states he did ride.Could it be wrong?It was a time when i took no interest in the sport,so just going by what is stated

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/malcolm%20simmons.html

Thing is, Doug, Bob didn't mention "British" leagues"! With Nygren's league career, he did have extra years outside of his British league career.

Of course, that doesn't apply to Americans or Sissies, so yes, Hancock's inclusion is a little vague. As I said, I didn't include his youth career (which would have added about eight years), but he has been riding league outside of the UK.

I am sure there are a few Europeans who would also qualify for this thread.

Steve

No you are right Steve,i was just asuming he was refering to british leagues only.Tbh i have not noticed any interest of foreign leagues from him :D

I was a Mildenhall speedway regular in 2001 and can definately confirm that Simmo didn't ride that season for the Fen Tigers. I'm sure his last League season was in 1993 when he had a few meetings for an injury hit King's Lynn. I saw a few of these last appearances where unfortunately he was miles of the pace.

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1

Ivan Mauger 1957 - 1984 (28 years)......though it has to be said a bit on and off at the beginning and end! So probably only 22 years in total.

Edited by norbold

Steve

Les Collins' last League season was in 2003 for Glasgow!

So we have Squibb dropping 7 seasons,Greg losing at the very least 2,if we are counting league seasons as per the thread title,but Collins and Simmo(1993) gaining 1 each....