British Speedway Forum
Andrew

Sheffield 2018

On 03/01/2018 at 10:46 PM, spin king said:

Rightly so as well.

Kyle never refused to ride for to ride for the Comets, simply stated his preference was Sheffield.

Also cannot blame Worky as it is no secret that they have been strapped for cash and a transfer fee hefty or not would have been a big help to them.

We sat tight and played the waiting game and looks like we could be announcing any time soon that Kyle will be back at the club for next season.

End of the day, Kyle gets to ride for the club that is his personal preference.

Worky pocket two loan fees.

And Sheffield get their man for next season.

Everyones a winner.  

I think kyle saying he wanted to stay at sheffield is a refusal to go to workington,sheffield have simply played the waiting game and its worked. Once a rider wants fo stay at a club it should be up to said club to buy his contract, that might stop riders switching to often .

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, Tsunami said:

In the case of Kus, once Redcar had not selected him for their team, it still went to arbitration and a very reasonably price was put on his head which Redcar had to accept. I agree still with the thought about a loan deal, but it was not offered then. 

The Kus deal didn't go to arbitration Redcar & Newcastle agreed a deal - which may have been a reasonable price, but both sides obviously felt arbitration could have worked against them .

this is quote at the time

"....Promoter Alan Hedley is delighted to finally get the deal over the line following lengthy negotiations with the Teesside club. He said "I am over the moon to have got Kus to Newcastle, we have agreed a fee with Redcar which I am pleased about because neither club wanted to go down the arbitration route of doing business....."

14 minutes ago, Mad Max said:

The Kus deal didn't go to arbitration Redcar & Newcastle agreed a deal - which may have been a reasonable price, but both sides obviously felt arbitration could have worked against them .

this is quote at the time

"....Promoter Alan Hedley is delighted to finally get the deal over the line following lengthy negotiations with the Teesside club. He said "I am over the moon to have got Kus to Newcastle, we have agreed a fee with Redcar which I am pleased about because neither club wanted to go down the arbitration route of doing business....."

But who set the figure ? 

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

But who set the figure ? 

" Agreed a fee "  - both sides "set" the figure at a price they both were satisfied with.

I guess as in all transactions one side would have preferred a lower fee, the other a higher!, but that is what negotiation and agreeing is all about .

14 minutes ago, Mad Max said:

" Agreed a fee "  - both sides "set" the figure at a price they both were satisfied with.

I guess as in all transactions one side would have preferred a lower fee, the other a higher!, but that is what negotiation and agreeing is all about .

If only it was that easy and it wasn't. Time to move on anyway. 

the mullet has landed .another loan fee ? 2 loans  off 1 rider , good biz  .

I think the signing of Kyle Howarth makes the Tigers look very capable of putting up a very strong defence of the league title. Looking at the team i would hope that all the riders can up their starting averages. Charles Wright could be a great signing , and once he gets dialled in to the Owlerton track he could be piling up the points. The reserve pairing of James Shanes and Jack  Smith looks very promising. James could be challenging for a place in the top five, and he will keep the other riders on their toes. If Lasse, Josh, and Todd ride like they did last season that would be great. Lasse was flying at the end of last season, if he carries on with that form he will be challenging for the number one race jacket. So if we can keep the injuries down to a minimum we should be in for another very entertaining season. Ipswich look to have a good team again and could be our main challenges again. UTT

42 minutes ago, graz gp said:

I think the signing of Kyle Howarth makes the Tigers look very capable of putting up a very strong defence of the league title. Looking at the team i would hope that all the riders can up their starting averages. Charles Wright could be a great signing , and once he gets dialled in to the Owlerton track he could be piling up the points. The reserve pairing of James Shanes and Jack  Smith looks very promising. James could be challenging for a place in the top five, and he will keep the other riders on their toes. If Lasse, Josh, and Todd ride like they did last season that would be great. Lasse was flying at the end of last season, if he carries on with that form he will be challenging for the number one race jacket. So if we can keep the injuries down to a minimum we should be in for another very entertaining season. Ipswich look to have a good team again and could be our main challenges again. UTT

Well said, should we remain injury free then the only other teams i can see potentially giving us some bother are Glasgow & Ipswich.

James Shanes is a masterstroke of a signing in my opinion. Will certainly keep the top 5 on their toes and he is more than capable of piling up the points.

Heres to an exciting 2018 UTT.

Injuries aside, this team now has all the appearances of a title -winning side. I can't see any of the declared Championship teams being able to live with us in 2018.

My New-Year predictions:

1) In years to come Kyle  will join the list of all-time Sheffield greats alongside Wilson, Wyer, Moran, Compton, et al;

2) The Bjerre & Bates partnership will become for speedway what Torville & Dean were to skating, Lillee & Thomson were to cricket, Keegan & Toshack were to footie and salt & vinegar were to chips;

3) Joining Sheffield will do for Charles Wright what it did for Kyle two years ago;

4) Todd will never match the finesse of his younger brother but will become a consistent and reliable 7-point performer;

5) Shanes and Smith will give us a dependable 5 points in every heat two from day one of the season;

6) Simon Stead will be the next Team GB boss.

i cant see kurtz or bates dropping to reserve . if they do , you are in trouble .just as i cant see smudger or shanes getting into the top 5 . good side tho . 

look after kyle , he may want to come back ! lol.

3 hours ago, jenga said:

look after kyle , he may want to come back ! lol.

That's not the impression we're getting.

thats another title challenging team that we have, thats us,ippo,glasgow and scunny all looking strong,lets hope we can keep injury free and we should be up there challenging and james shanes to keep the top 5 on their toes.

thankyou mr bates.

Three good heat leaders who will at least maintain their averages

all the other four can up their averages, quite a lot in the case of Shanes.

Can see him and Kurtz swapping in the reserve base quite a lot

Here's to another good season. and to retaining the league title

Like the Canadian Mounties we finally got our man, and the team is now complete.

Maybe not as strong as some of the other teams on paper, but it is not very often you see teams win back to back titles so its always going to be a massive ask for any team that we put together, and a lot depend upon everyone maintaining their fitness.

Kyle Howarth can further kick start career, it was an amazing step up from Kyle last season.

Lasse Bjerre and Sheffield are tailor made for each other (Thank God Richard Lawson went back on agreement with the club)

Charles Wright will continue his steady progress my only worry is injuries with Charles.

Todd Kurtz is a steady influence in the middle order just needs to pick up on his away form.

Josh Bates is a far better rider than he is given credit for and I would not be surprised to see him pushing for a heatleader role.

James Shanes is a signing that really excites me, I think he can put serious numbers on his average can really push to get out of the reserve berth.

Jack Smith has seen most of the tracks and will have a bit more experience under his belt.

Not going to make any wild predictions but cautiously optimistic for the season coming.