British Speedway Forum
Andrew

Sheffield 2018

8 minutes ago, spin king said:

Like the Canadian Mounties we finally got our man, and the team is now complete.

Maybe not as strong as some of the other teams on paper, but it is not very often you see teams win back to back titles so its always going to be a massive ask for any team that we put together, and a lot depend upon everyone maintaining their fitness.

Kyle Howarth can further kick start career, it was an amazing step up from Kyle last season.

Lasse Bjerre and Sheffield are tailor made for each other (Thank God Richard Lawson went back on agreement with the club)

Charles Wright will continue his steady progress my only worry is injuries with Charles.

Todd Kurtz is a steady influence in the middle order just needs to pick up on his away form.

Josh Bates is a far better rider than he is given credit for and I would not be surprised to see him pushing for a heatleader role.

James Shanes is a signing that really excites me, I think he can put serious numbers on his average can really push to get out of the reserve berth.

Jack Smith has seen most of the tracks and will have a bit more experience under his belt.

Not going to make any wild predictions but cautiously optimistic for the season coming.  

So you should be, that could well be the team to beat imo...

Great looking side and will be right up there

For me Howarth was the most improved rider in the Championship last year and despite him being no1 for one of the Witches main rivals I hope he can push on further

I think he has what it takes to move on to the next level

I'm not sure Howarth is ready to be a #1, not sure Bjerre is. Improvers in Bates, Shanes & maybe Smith.  Wright is steady enough. Kurtz.... hmmm. yet to be convinced.

Who are Tigers expecting to win heats 13 & 15 at Owlerton? Yet alone away from Sheffield.

16 hours ago, Col said:

I'm not sure Howarth is ready to be a #1, not sure Bjerre is. Improvers in Bates, Shanes & maybe Smith.  Wright is steady enough. Kurtz.... hmmm. yet to be convinced.

Who are Tigers expecting to win heats 13 & 15 at Owlerton? Yet alone away from Sheffield.

Bjerre and Howarth averaged 9.5 and 9.33 at home. I don't think they have too much to worry about. Howarth is also 6th in the averages over all using bonus point of those who rode in the Championship last season and are back again this season.

5 minutes ago, SCB said:

Bjerre and Howarth averaged 9.5 and 9.33 at home. I don't think they have too much to worry about. Howarth is also 6th in the averages over all using bonus point of those who rode in the Championship last season and are back again this season.

At home it won't be a problem, Howarth and Byerre won the pair's last year and both are more than capable away from home. Throw In Charles Wright and I'd say it's game on for heats 13/15

I totally agree with SCB on the riders who will win heats 13 + 15 for the Tigers. If you had seen Lasse  at the end of last season he was flying out of the gate, and riding all the right lines. Todd Kurtz was not totally fit last season so i can see him surprising a few people next season. utt

will this be the season that Todd Kurtz is finally fit after years of trying ?

10 minutes ago, jenga said:

will this be the season that Todd Kurtz is finally fit after years of trying ?

When Todd first appeared at Newport (as in before even riding PL or NL) I remember being reasonably impressed with him. His first season of PL he did alright but since then I've be underwhelmed, a tiny improvement here and there but the reality is that if he has a good season you only getting half a point from him. He is what he is now.

I thought Todd  would be the weak link in the team last season, but he did the hard job of riding at number 2 and he did very well, So the same again will do and upping his average a bit would be a bonus. Losing Josh G will be a big miss and filling his boots will be very hard. He was an out and out number 1. But i feel the team is stronger overall. If all the riders ride to their potential we should be right up their ( i hope ) utt.

• Like 1

Can Kyle fulfil the number role, I think he can.

He seems to thrive on the pressure and responsibility, he did every heat 13 when fit and did his fair share of heat 15's especially away where he probably did them all, and his away form last season was a revelation.

If you look at Kyle's home and away averages they very similar for me he is one of the best all round riders in the league.

Lasse, is as good as any rider around Sheffield, maybe needs to make some improvements on some of the away tracks, but he is capable.

Todd surprise me last season fully expected him to show his best form away from Sheffield, as he in past had not done too well around Sheffield.

But it turned out to be the complete opposite and his away form was very patchy whereas his home form was really good, in saying that he did on few occasions and important win away from home that turned a match around.     

People bang on about what is the way to build a title winning team, strong heatleader trio, strength in depth, strong reserves.

None of this matters to win the title you need

Stay clear of injuries (luck)

Have rider or two that put a point or two no their starting average.

More importantly win all of your home matches.

Last season their was only one team that won all of their home meetings.

That team topped the league and went on to win the Play Off Final. 

• Like 2

So .... Riding order, I'm going for :

Howarth

Kurtz

Bjerre

Bates

Wright

Shanes

Smith

What you reckon ?

9 hours ago, OdsalBoy said:

So .... Riding order, I'm going for :

Howarth

Kurtz

Bjerre

Bates

Wright

Shanes

Smith

What you reckon ?

Howarth, Kurtz, Wright, Bates, Bjerre, Shanes & Smith

2 hours ago, psycho3a said:

Howarth, Kurtz, Wright, Bates, Bjerre, Shanes & Smith

Naaaah! Bjerre and Bates have to be at 3 and 4 respectively - theirs is a talismanic partnership.

Personally, at the start of the season, at least whilst Wright finds his feet, I would have Bjerre riding at 5. Has the ability to win races and is more likely to look after Shanes and Smith when he has the opportunity. Also don't think that he will miss riding with Bates - there were a few times last season where I feared they would take each other out!