British Speedway Forum
Andrew

Sheffield 2018

30 minutes ago, Blackadder said:

There is speculation on the Leicester 2018 thread that Simon could be TM there.

With Vaculik riding there that's a possibility. Could he manage both Sheffield and Leicester now there are different race nights?

2 hours ago, Steve55 said:

With Vaculik riding there that's a possibility. Could he manage both Sheffield and Leicester now there are different race nights?

Was wondering that too. With Leicester riding mainly Monday nights it’s possible. He’d be a very busy boy though!

All will be revealed this week anyways.

The thought had crossed my mind when I saw Lynch had been sacked/let go / serviced dispensed with. Would be a big loss for Sheffield if we were to lose his services

On 12/01/2018 at 3:54 PM, 4thbender said:

The SS testimonial was promised for the first match of 2018.

Details are meant to be getting announced tomorrow 

We should now look at getting Jack Lee back at  Sheffield.He had a hard season in 2015 we lost a lot of riders due to injury's,but he still got us to the playoffs for the first time in years.Plus he never made a bad move with team tactics,i think with the change of rules he could be a trump card on tactics.

Edited by speedy bill
added text

Fixture list looks decidedly thin - lots of blank Thursdays.

Excluding "Reserved" nights, it only looks like we'll be called upon to make the journey to Owlerton on 14 occasions plus one Sunday (Steady's testimonial). It seems to me that whatever we fans make of speedway's problems, fewer meetings is not the solution.

13 hours ago, speedy bill said:

We should now look at getting Jack Lee back at  Sheffield.He had a hard season in 2015 we lost a lot of riders due to injury's,but he still got us to the playoffs for the first time in years.Plus he never made a bad move with team tactics,i think with the change of rules he could be a trump card on tactics.

Are you joking? After the season Steady had in 2017 you want to sack him?

2 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Are you joking? After the season Steady had in 2017 you want to sack him?

We need to keep Steady and let him' double up'

2 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Excluding "Reserved" nights, it only looks like we'll be called upon to make the journey to Owlerton on 14 occasions plus one Sunday (Steady's testimonial). It seems to me that whatever we fans make of speedway's problems, fewer meetings is not the solution.

There are nearly enough blank Thursday's to ride home and way twice this season. Turning out to be a bit of a 'part time' season coming up ...

3 hours ago, 4thbender said:

It is the solution to poor organisation and avoiding the end of season fixture pile up. They just can't seem to grasp that speedway is a summer sport and that's when fans consistently want to watch meetings. They can't organise that so the solution is to do less and to encourage supporters to find other interests, not twigging that they may choose those interests first in future :o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hel'n'Back said:

Simon Stead confirmed as Team Manager for both Sheffield and Leicester.

He'll be a busy bloke. Hope they've doubled his wages.

• Like 1

I can remember when you could go to Owlerton every Thursday from the end of March all the way through to late September. Now it's 14 home matches and three individual meeting's. Last season we had 27 home meeting's that's including championship, challenges, and individual. If we carry on like this speedway will just die out.I agree with what other people have said, people will look to do other thing's and will get out of the habit of going to speedway. June and July we have 2 home meetings in each month. I know if we progress in the ko cup that will be a few more meetings. But for me that's not enough speedway for me.utt

18 hours ago, graz gp said:

I can remember when you could go to Owlerton every Thursday from the end of March all the way through to late September. Now it's 14 home matches and three individual meeting's. Last season we had 27 home meeting's that's including championship, challenges, and individual. If we carry on like this speedway will just die out.I agree with what other people have said, people will look to do other thing's and will get out of the habit of going to speedway. June and July we have 2 home meetings in each month. I know if we progress in the ko cup that will be a few more meetings. But for me that's not enough speedway for me.utt

I absolutely agree. As a die-hard fan I remember well the 1970s when the Tigers 'A' Team rode in the BL Div. 1  on Thursdays and the 'B' team in Div. 2 on Sundays (the three Stuarts: Jay, Ulph and Hickman Jr. - remember them?)

True fans can't get enough of speedway and giving us 17 matches in a season is short-changing us and insulting our loyalty. Thursday night is for speedway, not EastEnders. It's a disgrace.