British Speedway Forum
Andrew

Sheffield 2018

I’m new to posting on here, although followed with interest for some years. I now feel it’s time to have a say before speedway disappears.

It’s not just Sheffield that has a lack of regular meetings this season, the Championship have followed suit with top league. I believe it’s been done to reduce the losses almost every club is suffering. Promoters don’t promote and that’s the real problem. Jenga is correct when he says riders won’t invest in machinery with so few meetings to pay the bills. And I believe lots of fans will vote with their feet too.

It will be interesting to know how season ticket sales have suffered on the back of the decision to run so few meetings. The sign outside Owlerton Stadium says “every Thursday March till October” - that needs changing to “When we feel like it” or “April till August”.

Someone said the end is nigh, I disagree, the end is here.

12 hours ago, speedy bill said:

where is speedway disappearing to     We always had a meeting every Thursday at Sheffield   this year it as been said we only have 14 home meetings,people are going to find other things to do on Thursdays.The end is  nigh  

Looking at the fixtures, because of holidays and free Thursdays I will not see any speedway in June, but if we do well again I will be able go in freezing October

For those of you that weren't at the STAARS meeting last Thursday Peter Mole announced that due contractual reasons with the stadium there would be at least 20 meetings at Sheffield this year.

• Confused 1

Is that 20 meetings promoted by Sheffield, or does that include, the British Semi, the CLRC and the Simon Stead meeting?

or is that extra meetings that have no importance at all, in other words just put on to make the numbers up

not having a dig at Sheffield its just the way speedway is at the moment

Edited by The Third Man

Not too bothered who promotes / runs meeting it means that I see racing on at least 20 occasions. As for what "Third man" calls nothing meetings I just love to see the guys doing their thing on the bike whatever level.

• Like 1

After the floods of 2009 Derwent Park was not as easy to get to, the crowds dropped and never recovered when the new bridge opened, a lot of rain offs didn’t help. People get out of the habit and start doing other things. 

• Like 1

I have been getting out of the habit and the season has not  even started yet lol

7 hours ago, relic said:

Not too bothered who promotes / runs meeting it means that I see racing on at least 20 occasions. As for what "Third man" calls nothing meetings I just love to see the guys doing their thing on the bike whatever level.

If it does not include the Stead/CLRC/GB Semi, though,we would get 23 meetings minimum.

4 hours ago, comet49 said:

After the floods of 2009 Derwent Park was not as easy to get to, the crowds dropped and never recovered when the new bridge opened, a lot of rain offs didn’t help. People get out of the habit and start doing other things. 

Can anyone explain what the relevance of this is to Sheffield?

4 minutes ago, comet49 said:

Lack of meetings. People get out of the habit of going to speedway 

Lack of a weekly meeting is a bigger problem than most Promoters would admit too.Its a catch 22 IMO.Looking at the fixture lists ,lack of meetings in high season( June and July) will affect attendances at most tracks.ONE league would have been a better solution IMO.

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, Fromafar said:

Lack of a weekly meeting is a bigger problem than most Promoters would admit too.Its a catch 22 IMO.Looking at the fixture lists ,lack of meetings in high season( June and July) will affect attendances at most tracks.ONE league would have been a better solution IMO.

There are those of us who have been saying for two years (at least!) that a single senior league of 18/19 teams is the only way to go, even if it means going down to teams of 5 riders + a 3-point reserve doubling up from the NL. People reckon there aren't enough riders to go round, but there were over 350 registered riders on the SCB Rider Registrations as of 25/09/17. That should be more than enough to service 19 teams without losing out on quality of racing.

They could even improve riders' earnings by 25% by retaining the 15-heat format, with each of the 6 riders having 5 outings. 

A single league is the only way to go if speedway is to survive IMO.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

There are those of us who have been saying for two years (at least!) that a single senior league of 18/19 teams is the only way to go, even if it means going down to teams of 5 riders + a 3-point reserve doubling up from the NL. People reckon there aren't enough riders to go round, but there were over 350 registered riders on the SCB Rider Registrations as of 25/09/17. That should be more than enough to service 19 teams without losing out on quality of racing.

They could even improve riders' earnings by 25% by retaining the 15-heat format, with each of the 6 riders having 5 outings. 

A single league is the only way to go if speedway is to survive IMO.

well said.i do honestly think that if a lot of issues from last year are not addressed then the sport could find itself in big trouble.big make or break year imho.just the single senior league has to be the way to go.just off topic, does anyone know if b.t are showing domestic racing again this season.i contacted them yesterday but they couldn't give me an answer other than they were showing the g.p,s