British Speedway Forum
Andrew

Sheffield 2018

25 minutes ago, Paulco said:

The point was that r/r has been used in the past for an injury sustained before the start of the season 

Andrew Tully was injured during Newcastle's P&P (also a broken vertebrae) and we were allowed R/R, but, obviously that was a speedway injury.  Something in the back of my mind says Dickie Juul was injured pre-season and it was argued that, because he'd ridden for us the previous season, we could use R/R, but had he been a new signing, we would have had to find a replacement (I am sure someone can confirm this, or correct me!).

• Like 1

Surely for the good of the sport and it’s credibility rr or guest can’t be used it has to be another rider or a couple of changes to the team to make it work

I get he wants to have a laugh with his mates don't we all but sometimes you just have to make that sacrifice and say maybe i best not with season just around corner in case of a freak accident which this is of course.

Main point i would like to make is that if i was a sponsor of his i wouldn't be overly delighted, money available for sponsorship specially for speedway is not exactly big and Josh Bates who quit mid winter will maybe have already put off potential and current sponsors and now this happens where he potentially misses meetings which is not what sponsors sign up for, if injury happens riding speedway then fair enough the sponsors know risk of that as riders do.

Hope his recovery goes well and is soon back on a bike for us !

• Like 2

Does anybody know the circumstances of the accident? Everybody seems to be presuming that he was messing about... there is of course the possibility that he was playing with his kid and it was just a freak accident. I concede it that would be a bit boring and would be a rubbish story, but just maybe people should get the facts before having a go. He may have been mucking about, but just maybe he wasn’t 

2 hours ago, Cue Ball said:

Does anybody know the circumstances of the accident? Everybody seems to be presuming that he was messing about... there is of course the possibility that he was playing with his kid and it was just a freak accident. I concede it that would be a bit boring and would be a rubbish story, but just maybe people should get the facts before having a go. He may have been mucking about, but just maybe he wasn’t 

don't kn0w circumstances but going by previous antics would put a mortgage on it that it was caused by messing about.

Jesus Christ, is not about time people gave it a rest.

The lad rides a speedway bike with no brakes for a living, I would imagine that at the time going for a bit of sledging with a few friends he thought was a little harmless fun, that went wrong.

Last season he missed some meeting due to falling down the stairs carrying nappies for his son, are we going to ban him from doing that as well as sledging.

They were both freak accidents, freak meaning they are unexpected and unusual, these sorts of things have happened before and will happen again to any rider.

Or do we at the end of every season give riders a list of do's and don't while they are waiting for the season to start.   

• Like 6

2 hours ago, spin king said:

The lad rides a speedway bike with no brakes for a living, I would imagine that at the time going for a bit of sledging with a few friends he thought was a little harmless fun, that went wrong.

Last season he missed some meeting due to falling down the stairs carrying nappies for his son, are we going to ban him from doing that as well as sledging.

They were both freak accidents, freak meaning they are unexpected and unusual, these sorts of things have happened before and will happen again to any rider.

Or do we at the end of every season give riders a list of do's and don't while they are waiting for the season to start.   

we also need to ban him from travelling in a car, have you the way some people drive, crossing a road, drivers again, walking, the pavements are a mess in some places or any activity except laying in bed all day, watch for pressure sores though, until the season starts

then we can let him ride a speedway bike for a living

PS my eighteen month old grand daughter went sledging for the first time and didn't get hurt, just thought I'd mention it

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

PS my eighteen month old grand daughter went sledging for the first time and didn't get hurt, just thought I'd mention it

She's probably got more common sense than Bates.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, spin king said:

what will you be saying come end of april when we are out of the first cup competition potentially, with an important team member missing?

3 hours ago, Moranboys said:

what will you be saying come end of april when we are out of the first cup competition potentially, with an important team member missing?

First off I don't feel that one rider makes a team, and I am confident that the rest of the team can provided the cover for that rider.

Secondly I am confident that the Promotion if they thought that we did need to bring in a temporary replacement then they would.

Thirdly the most important thing for me is that we qualify for the Play Offs, where we would be in with a chance of been crown Champions again, and you don't qualify for them at the end of April     

11 hours ago, Who's Winnin said:

I get he wants to have a laugh with his mates don't we all but sometimes you just have to make that sacrifice and say maybe i best not with season just around corner in case of a freak accident which this is of course.

Main point i would like to make is that if i was a sponsor of his i wouldn't be overly delighted, money available for sponsorship specially for speedway is not exactly big and Josh Bates who quit mid winter will maybe have already put off potential and current sponsors and now this happens where he potentially misses meetings which is not what sponsors sign up for, if injury happens riding speedway then fair enough the sponsors know risk of that as riders do.

Hope his recovery goes well and is soon back on a bike for us !

why should they give up on life outside speedway

speedway is a bit of a mugs game too be honest

the risks involved are not rewarded by wealth

you cant expect riders to wrap themselves up in cotton wool outside of speedway

we all deserve a decent out of work life regardless of what job/sport we do

There is wrapping yourself up in cotton wool and then there is making sensible and mature choices less than a month before the season starts.

If it was a Lynn rider I'd be rather peeved.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

Don't see any criticism of Lee Payne getting injured on a motocrosser.

Did/does he have a team place for 2018 ??? 

Hope he's gonna be ok, btw

6 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Did/does he have a team place for 2018 ??? 

Hope he's gonna be ok, btw

Belle Vue Colts, replaced by Tom Perry. Good luck to both.