British Speedway Forum
Andrew

Sheffield 2018

Feel for Jack - thought his last meeting was his best to date, but something had to be done to try and strengthen 

Far from impressed TBF, Broc Nicol looking at updates sites has only scored points in the UK when in NL challenge level meetings, never scored points in World U21 meetings or similar levels...

Too much of a gamble in main body of the team untried and untested at this level, We needed to strengthen and this i see as a totally backwards step.

Happy to be proven wrong or if someone has better knowledge happy to be told.

With regards Georgie Wood happy to see him back as i thought he was very unlucky not to make the starting 7 at the start of the season but really feel sorry for Jack Smith who has put half a point on his average.

The whole shambolic situation for me comes down to poor team management as they should have replaced Josh properly when he was 1st injured.

i do hope that nicol is able to score around 4/5 points per meeting,but having travelled half way around the world to be here the guy has to have ambition to crack on in his career,as for georgie im glad to see him back but feel sorry for jack,hope that georgie can score points cos i believe he would have had to give up his teamplace at eastbourne in signing for us and will now be only riding in one league and hope this does not affect his confidence.

I thought there was a rule in place where a rider who finished  the season with a team then not declared in the starting 7 the following year, could not return to that club. I cannot remember ever being applied or was it with the discretion of the MC or best interest of the sport. 

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

I thought there was a rule in place where a rider who finished  the season with a team then not declared in the starting 7 the following year, could not return to that club. I cannot remember ever being applied or was it with the discretion of the MC or best interest of the sport. 

Bradley Wilson Dean was in Panthers line up last year and not re-declared the start of 2018 and now re-declared  so it must be allowed

5 hours ago, romans lovechild said:

i do hope that nicol is able to score around 4/5 points per meeting,but having travelled half way around the world to be here the guy has to have ambition to crack on in his career,as for georgie im glad to see him back but feel sorry for jack,hope that georgie can score points cos i believe he would have had to give up his teamplace at eastbourne in signing for us and will now be only riding in one league and hope this does not affect his confidence.

Can't help but think this is a knee-jerk reaction, and one which will bite them in the bum tomorrow night. Frankly I'd never even heard of Broc Nicol and from what I've read I can't imagine for one minute that he'll be scoring points at this level any time soon, let alone be an adequate replacement for the Bates boy. Really sorry for Jack, especially as he was just starting to get his act together. Whilst I'm glad to see Georgie back, I have to ask the question as to why they think he can do a job for us now when they didn't think so at the start of the season.

The changes don't seem to follow any sensible policy.... unless the management have written off any hope of winning anything in 2018 and are experimenting for the future. 

I've only seen Nichol on TV he looked on the pace but not sure if he's the answer. Time will tell let's hope he's a trump card as for Georgie welcome back and hit the ground running tomorrow .Hes done well at Eastbourne so should be confident.

29 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Can't help but think this is a knee-jerk reaction, and one which will bite them in the bum tomorrow night. Frankly I'd never even heard of Broc Nicol and from what I've read I can't imagine for one minute that he'll be scoring points at this level any time soon, let alone be an adequate replacement for the Bates boy. Really sorry for Jack, especially as he was just starting to get his act together. Whilst I'm glad to see Georgie back, I have to ask the question as to why they think he can do a job for us now when they didn't think so at the start of the season.

The changes don't seem to follow any sensible policy.... unless the management have written off any hope of winning anything in 2018 and are experimenting for the future. 

Like yourself I have not  a clue about Broc Nicol  but Georgie Wood rode for Ipswich at the showground on Sunday at NO;4 and looked very competitive  , looks like a good prospect to me

3 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Need the MC permission, shouldn’t have thought that was a problem I cannot remember the last time they said no

• Like 1

Nicol rode recently at Eastbourne - looked good. Having said that, he was on his own

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Need the MC permission, shouldn’t have thought that was a problem I cannot remember the last time they said no

Think Berwick have been stopped at least a couple of times. 1st time I think was Moggo or Banger (or both).

Think also David Meldrum and another that I have forgotten.