British Speedway Forum
Andrew

Sheffield 2018

You obviously not seen many meetings at sheffield this season.Charles Lasse Kyle Todd and now Broc have been doing it regular.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psycho3a said:

6 in total.. 3 in the main holiday season so I only see 3 for rest of the season... this riding fortnightly and arranging meetings on a England world cup night I will have managed only 7 meetings all season .. I also went to Scunthorpe last night and that was poor, cold, dusty and no passing so probably won't return there in July either... after last year I was so optimistic we would kick on but hey ho.

Admitted last nights meeting wasn't of the usual high standard but to say there was no passing is a complete lie

• Like 2

Did you go to Sheffield on Thursday plenty of good races and plenty of passing, just ask Berge.utt

• Like 1

6 hours ago, graz gp said:

Did you go to Sheffield on Thursday plenty of good races and plenty of passing, just ask Berge.utt

No didn't go, like I pointed out they tried to compete with England on a world cup night... 

Enough said. utt

18 hours ago, graz gp said:

Thursdays meeting at Sheffield was excellent. A really good meeting

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:06 AM, psycho3a said:

No didn't go, like I pointed out they tried to compete with England on a world cup night... 

go in the panorama room, watch speedway and football as well 

On 6/30/2018 at 4:28 PM, IronScorpion said:

Ha Ha! What a comment from a Sheffield fan about no passing. There is only one sort of passing at Owlerton & that is the passing of wind!!!!!!

Is that right? 

• Like 3

On 6/28/2018 at 5:06 PM, 4thbender said:

There aren't any utopia-seekers on here (they'd be in the wrong place if there were). I've only seen fans who dutifully turn up at the turnstiles week after week and pay their £16 and feel (rightly) that their financial contribution to the team's continued success gives them a right to express a view on the rights and wrongs of team performance. The people on this forum may not all agree with each other - or the promoters - all of the time but they all have one thing in common: they're all die-hard fans of speedway.

I have no issue with anyone expressing their opinion. What I do have an issue with is the constant negativity and apparent complaining from some fans, irrespective of what the club does in terms of trying to improve things on or off the track. Every change in the line up or effort to promote the club is met, from some quarters, with a barrage of negative tweets, posts, etc - seemingly without consideration.

The Broc Nicol signing is a perfect case. He’d not turned a wheel for the club and yet some fans were already writing him off and were criticising the club for making the change (a change that the some of the same fans were no doubt asking for). And yet he has shown in a very short time that he has tremendous potential - his 11 point performance at Scunthorpe last week for example was a joy to watch.

The beauty of social media is that everyone now has the ability to have their voice heard way beyond what it could have been previously. Personally I think it’s great and I have debated many topics with people I wouldn’t have otherwise been able to do via social media. I have even met and become friends with people through it. It really is a wonderful tool.

But the ability to voice your opinion to more people than before, and more significantly to those who you are directing your opinion at, comes - in my opinion - with a degree of responsibility. An angry tweet or post sent to someone - promoter, rider, etc - might be someone’s way of getting something off their chest. But they need - in my opinion - to understand how that tweet, post, etc will be received by the person it’s been sent to. 

Last week’s programme notes by Peter Mole demonstrated to me the level of frustration he and the rest of the promotion are feeling right now. And this has apparently been created by social media posts from fans.

Again, I’m not saying people shouldn’t voice their opinion, BUT if they’re going to do so why not try to be constructive in their criticism or better still give the changes a few weeks to take effect before criticising the club?

Put yourself in their shoes - you’re doing everything you can to put a competitive, entertaining but financially sustainable team on the track following a Championship winning season but some people seemingly find fault with everything you do. Ask yourself how you’d feel?

I know I could and would only take this for so long before saying enough is enough

Now unless that is ultimately the aim of these fans I would implore them to check the negativity, to consider for a moment how their criticism will be received and try to be constructive as opposed to out and out critical. And this doesn’t mean being a happy clapper, far from it. We all know that British speedway is in a difficult position right now, but I just think we need to support whoever is in charge of our club. The speedway world is far from perfect. But then life is far from perfect. 

Edited by RobHowe
  • Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:06 AM, psycho3a said:

Bad decision. On this occasion the speedway was rather better than the footie.

No meeting this week, top gun the week after. The fixtures this season are a joke, I've started bringing my new partner to speedway for the first time this year. How do I explain the gaps between team meetings and keep her interest in a new (to her) sport? I now know how the workington fans feel. I've been a regular for over 45 years and every Thursday during the summer was speedway night, now I don't know if I can be bothered anymore. Something needs sorting for next season.

2 hours ago, Stoneroses said:

No meeting this week, top gun the week after. The fixtures this season are a joke, I've started bringing my new partner to speedway for the first time this year. How do I explain the gaps between team meetings and keep her interest in a new (to her) sport? I now know how the workington fans feel. I've been a regular for over 45 years and every Thursday during the summer was speedway night, now I don't know if I can be bothered anymore. Something needs sorting for next season.

I understand your frustration but, given that the schedule has been known for many months now, I find it strange that people are seemingly surprised by this and feel the need to complain about it.

In my opinion a couple of issues have created this situation.

Firstly despite the horrible weather the country experienced throughout March and April we actually only lost one meeting to the weather.

And secondly we didn’t progress in the Shield and KOC as we perhaps thought we would.

Given both of those it’s a fair assumption that these “gaps” in the schedule were created deliberately to accommodate re-scheduled meetings and additional fixtures in the two aforementioned competitions.

That we subsequently haven’t needed to use these dates up has created this situation.

But rather than have a 2 week gap the club / promotion have done something about it and arranged an individual meeting - potentially at some cost - to limit this to just one week.

So aside from creating other fixtures out of thin air I’m at a loss to know what they are supposed to do.

Its frustrating for me because I’m free this Thursday when there’s no meeting and then I’m away for the next three Thursdays on holiday when there are meetings. But that’s life.

I just wish some fans could see the positives and the efforts that the club / promotion have made and are making to give us as much continuity throughout the season.

Sadly in the eyes of some fans the club / promotion are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

28 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

I understand your frustration but, given that the schedule has been known for many months now, I find it strange that people are seemingly surprised by this and feel the need to complain about it.

In my opinion a couple of issues have created this situation.

Firstly despite the horrible weather the country experienced throughout March and April we actually only lost one meeting to the weather.

And secondly we didn’t progress in the Shield and KOC as we perhaps thought we would.

Given both of those it’s a fair assumption that these “gaps” in the schedule were created deliberately to accommodate re-scheduled meetings and additional fixtures in the two aforementioned competitions.

That we subsequently haven’t needed to use these dates up has created this situation.

But rather than have a 2 week gap the club / promotion have done something about it and arranged an individual meeting - potentially at some cost - to limit this to just one week.

So aside from creating other fixtures out of thin air I’m at a loss to know what they are supposed to do.

Its frustrating for me because I’m free this Thursday when there’s no meeting and then I’m away for the next three Thursdays on holiday when there are meetings. But that’s life.

I just wish some fans could see the positives and the efforts that the club / promotion have made and are making to give us as much continuity throughout the season.

Sadly in the eyes of some fans the club / promotion are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

i do understand you to a point but surely putting on junior individual meetings is pretty much financial disaster.i am a season ticket holder but don't think that i can be bothered to drum up enough enthusiasm to attend.yes,well done to the promotion for getting a meeting on but not enough interest in it for me.shall save the petrol, programme and parking costs and put it towards the cardiff weekend.

16 minutes ago, Moranboys said:

i do understand you to a point but surely putting on junior individual meetings is pretty much financial disaster.i am a season ticket holder but don't think that i can be bothered to drum up enough enthusiasm to attend.yes,well done to the promotion for getting a meeting on but not enough interest in it for me.shall save the petrol, programme and parking costs and put it towards the cardiff weekend.

But that’s what I mean about being damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

Personally I think it’s a great idea - just a shame I’m on holiday :(

But if they hadn’t put this meeting on some people would be complaining about there being a two week gap. 

They seemingly can’t do right by some fans. 

Which I find baffling given that I don’t see a long line of would-be promotors waiting outside Owlerton.

Edited by RobHowe

17 hours ago, Stoneroses said:

As things stand at the moment, our home season will finish on 23 August, with two weeks of the kids' summer holidays still to go! (Just for comparison, the 2017 home season finished on 23 OCTOBER!)

At the other end of the spectrum, Workington's home Championship programme didn't get underway until 23 June.

The lunatics really have taken over the asylum.