British Speedway Forum
Andrew

Sheffield 2018

7 hours ago, sparks123 said:

Shame the fixture wasn't on the fixture list earlier as you have lost the Berwick bus as it's going to Swindon instead. Was supposed to be Sheffield, Somerset and Cardiff.

It is a shame, but I’m guessing because the gaps in the schedule - this week just gone and next week - were initially left blank to account for further meetings in the Shield and the KOC (or perhaps potential rain offs from earlier in the season) it wasn’t possible to announce this meeting until very recently when it became clear that we hadn’t advanced any further in those two competitions. 

On 7/11/2018 at 10:09 PM, romans lovechild said:

the problem with people having a bash at the promoters is due to them being in charge of the sport, football fans have the f.a. or fifa to complain about,cricket fans have the ecb to moan at, we have a sport run by the promoters, i understand the reasons why less racenights were voted through,we have rules tinkered with mid-season,but now in the 21st century is it not time for the sport to have its own independent governing body. 

One of the issues that “minor” sports like speedway have is that they very much rely on the good will of the team owners to act in the best interest of the sport.

However, and without being disrespectful, I’m not convinced that any owner is going to take instruction from an “independent” governing body at this stage. Call me cynical but I’m not sure in a such a minor sport that an independent individual could be found that wouldn’t end being influenced by one or more owners. 

So for me a governing body is not the answer.

What I believe is the answer is the team owners coming together to act in the best interest of the sport that they and we all love.

Peter Oakes in this week’s Speedway Star makes reference to the problems that ice hockey in the UK experienced in the early 2000’s. At one point the top flight was down to just five teams due to teams folding mid-season. But after much soul-searching and fan involvement the then team owners came together to create a business model that would enable the teams and top flight league to survive and then ultimately prosper. As a hockey fan I remember this period very well.

The EIHL that was created out of that period went through a few rocky years before starting to stabilise and ultimately grow. As Peter points out many of the teams can boast growing attendances but the league is still basically run by the team owners. 

I’ve kinda moved away from UK hockey in recent years but I still keep an eye on it, and of course particularly the Steelers. As Peter says in his piece, there’s a lot that speedway could take from the experience that UK hockey went through 10-15 years ago.

Edited by RobHowe

Looking at the league table there is only us and Redcar with no away points which doesn't make for good reading if you want to get into the play offs.I think tomorrow is a really big meeting for us,if we can get something from the meeting it might give us a lift when we take on our remaining away fixtures.Shanes will be a big miss tomorrow as he was awesome last year for us at the show ground.

What's going to happen at Owlerton when they built the new banqueting suit. Its going to be built were the first bend is. They as going to demolish the Hare and Hounds bar and build a 5 million banqueting suit. According to the local press planning permission as already be given and they hope to start in early August. Will their still be a standing area on the first bend for us speedway fans. If not, i can see a lot of speedway fans being very unhappy. We will have to watch our speedway from another part of the stadium it will be the 3rd and 4th bends or the home straight, unless provision is made on the first bend but I don't think the speedway fans will be top of their list, but I could be wrong. Could this put the future of speedway at Owlerton in any doubt. Any thoughts ?

Had a look at the planning permission on Sheffield Council site

https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=P7A0P4NY0M900

https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/files/0820088FA51C393FAC6C93C7F89441CE/pdf/18_01458_FUL-EXISTING_PROPOSED_PLANS___ELEVATIONS-1216942.pdf

Looks like there will be a new standing area around the first turn.

The Promotion would have been made aware of the proposal when they signed the new lease earlier in the year so it wouldn't affect the Tigers running.

Wish A&S would do something with the back straight terrace though,something like the stand on the back straight  at Belle Vue would be a improvement.

Edited by Andrew
wrong link

Thanks for that Andrew.. That's great news we could have better standing conditions than we have now.utt

17 hours ago, graz gp said:

Thanks for that Andrew.. That's great news we could have better standing conditions than we have now.utt

The stadium could do with them, as some parts of the first bend terracing has become worn etc over the years to the point of being dangerous. 

27 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Wood leaves and Lawlor given a chance. Just keeps raining on Sheffield.

Surprised that Sheffield haven't given him longer to be honest , he looked reasonable for a  national league rider and on the pace when he made a guest appearance for a visiting team at the showground earlier in the season. Unless there are others reasons.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

Surprised that Sheffield haven't given him longer to be honest , he looked reasonable for a  national league rider and on the pace when he made a guest appearance for a visiting team at the showground earlier in the season. Unless there are others reasons.

He was one of many showing of last thursday like little boys but not as bad as bjeere

16 minutes ago, Adrian Brownell said:

He was one of many showing of last thursday like little boys but not as bad as bjeere

Well if Sheffield are using him as a scapegoat for there  home defeat against Lakeside I don't think bringing in Lawler into the team will make any difference .

In the NL he has a slightly worse record than Wood

if you think about it,georgie has been travelling from down south for home meetings,with little reward pointswise,has a young family and could have lost his driver for this season,we dont know, i would think it has been more of georgies doing than the promotions, and lawlor in the side we will not have to pay any loan fees as we are developing one of our own assets,and giving a young brit a team place. 

36 minutes ago, romans lovechild said:

if you think about it,georgie has been travelling from down south for home meetings,with little reward pointswise,has a young family and could have lost his driver for this season,we dont know, i would think it has been more of georgies doing than the promotions, and lawlor in the side we will not have to pay any loan fees as we are developing one of our own assets,and giving a young brit a team place. 

good luck to georgie and thank you for his efforts but in all honesty have not seen any significant improvement from what he was last season.

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Wood leaves and Lawlor given a chance. Just keeps raining on Sheffield.

Where have you seen this?