Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Andrew

Sheffield 2018

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, RobHowe said:

But that’s what I mean about being damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

Personally I think it’s a great idea - just a shame I’m on holiday :(

But if they hadn’t put this meeting on some people would be complaining about there being a two week gap. 

They seemingly can’t do right by some fans. 

Which I find baffling given that I don’t see a long line of would-be promotors waiting outside Owlerton.

I couldn't agree more with you Rob, I apologise to those posters if it wasn't meant that way, but it seems like the Sheffield promotion are being blamed by many for the lack of home fixtures, when every team is suffering with the same thing this year due to the fixed race nights. Look at Peterborough - obviously I am aware that they have Showground availability issues as well, but they're racing at home Friday and Sunday this weekend, and then don't have another home fixture until August 5th, which is a double header, then the next home fixture is 9th September!

At the Berwick meeting on 14th June I heard a group of people moaning like hell about the fact we'd not had a home fixture the Thursday before (we were at Ipswich, who have also had similar fixture issues), and the fact we weren't going to be having one on the 28th, saying all the stuff about people getting out of the habit etc. Then the same folk the week afterwards were slagging the promotion off because we'd arranged the Scunthorpe KOC meeting for the 28th when the England v Belgium game was on. Which was known about at the time of their original criticism. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the Sheffield Star, Kyle is hoping to return for Friday's visit to Lakeside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 4thbender said:

As things stand at the moment, our home season will finish on 23 August, with two weeks of the kids' summer holidays still to go! (Just for comparison, the 2017 home season finished on 23 OCTOBER!)

At the other end of the spectrum, Workington's home Championship programme didn't get underway until 23 June.

The lunatics really have taken over the asylum.

Generally the kids go back on Monday 3rd so that’s only one week of the holidays with no home fixture.

And if, as you say, things stay as they stand currently we will have had just three Thursdays with no home meeting up to the end of the season (not including the one rained off meeting in April) - 17th May, 7th June (when we were away at Ipswich) and 12th July.

Compare this with other tracks that are really struggling and I don’t see an issue.

Obviously if we were to make the playoffs then that’s probably at least one home meeting in September. 

Last season we had six rained off meetings (I think) and one Thursday with no meeting - and we were forced to run on Mondays and tried to host a doubleheader on a Sunday to squeeze all the fixtures in. Something which I understand ultimately cost the club money.

If we’d had six rained off meetings this season we wouldn’t have had enough Thursdays free to accommodate them.

So have the lunatics really have taken over the asylum, or are we simply looking at clubs trying their best to fit their fixtures in and around the availability of their home track?

Edited by RobHowe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Tigerblade said:

I couldn't agree more with you Rob, I apologise to those posters if it wasn't meant that way, but it seems like the Sheffield promotion are being blamed by many for the lack of home fixtures, when every team is suffering with the same thing this year due to the fixed race nights. Look at Peterborough - obviously I am aware that they have Showground availability issues as well, but they're racing at home Friday and Sunday this weekend, and then don't have another home fixture until August 5th, which is a double header, then the next home fixture is 9th September!

At the Berwick meeting on 14th June I heard a group of people moaning like hell about the fact we'd not had a home fixture the Thursday before (we were at Ipswich, who have also had similar fixture issues), and the fact we weren't going to be having one on the 28th, saying all the stuff about people getting out of the habit etc. Then the same folk the week afterwards were slagging the promotion off because we'd arranged the Scunthorpe KOC meeting for the 28th when the England v Belgium game was on. Which was known about at the time of their original criticism. 

Exactly mate. Some fans seemingly just want something to complain about. Which is their prerogative. But I don’t see what benefit it is to direct their complaint at the people trying to run the club.

The free Thursdays have been known since the fixtures were released, so why didn’t people arrange to do something else on those nights? Or stay home and watch some speedway on YouTube or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

Exactly mate. Some fans seemingly just want something to complain about. Which is their prerogative. But I don’t see what benefit it is to direct their complaint at the people trying to run the club.

The free Thursdays have been known since the fixtures were released, so why didn’t people arrange to do something else on those nights? Or stay home and watch some speedway on YouTube or something?

Seems like this forum has been taken over by the establishment appeasers. Soon we radicals will have no-one to moan to.

:wink:

Edited by 4thbender
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Seems like this forum has been taken over by the establishment appeasers. Soon we radicals will have no-one to moan to.

:wink:

You couldn’t be further from the truth if you tried! :lol:

I’m certainly not part of the establishment, nor am I an appeaser. I’ll gladly share a drink with you one Thursday night to demonstrate this.

But what I am is a realist; someone who realises that running and promoting speedway is not as easy as some fans believe. And I believe, in what are challenging times for the sport, that we should in the main support those that are running which club we support.

Without these guys there would simply be no speedway. And then we’d all have something to really complain about.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

You couldn’t be further from the truth if you tried! :lol:

I’m certainly not part of the establishment, nor am I an appeaser. I’ll gladly share a drink with you one Thursday night to demonstrate this.

But what I am is a realist; someone who realises that running and promoting speedway is not as easy as some fans believe. And I believe, in what are challenging times for the sport, that we should in the main support those that are running which club we support.

Without these guys there would simply be no speedway. And then we’d all have something to really complain about.

I bet you're a remainer too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 4thbender said:

Seems like this forum has been taken over by the establishment appeasers. Soon we radicals will have no-one to moan to.

:wink:

Not a bit of it, it just frustrates me when folk contradict themselves in order to suit their own arguments. I've never even met the "establishment" in this case (the Sheffield promotion)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

I bet you're a remainer too.

Oh yes.

I’m a diversity and inclusion supporting, non-voting leftie, socialist Guardian reader.

You’d love me.

B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

Oh yes.

I’m a diversity and inclusion supporting, non-voting leftie, socialist Guardian reader.

You’d love me.

B)

Appeasement... you missed out "a diversity and inclusion supporting, non-voting leftie, socialist APPEASEMENT Guardian reader."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Appeasement... you missed out "a diversity and inclusion supporting, non-voting leftie, socialist APPEASEMENT Guardian reader."

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the problem with people having a bash at the promoters is due to them being in charge of the sport, football fans have the f.a. or fifa to complain about,cricket fans have the ecb to moan at, we have a sport run by the promoters, i understand the reasons why less racenights were voted through,we have rules tinkered with mid-season,but now in the 21st century is it not time for the sport to have its own independent governing body. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, romans lovechild said:

the problem with people having a bash at the promoters is due to them being in charge of the sport, football fans have the f.a. or fifa to complain about,cricket fans have the ecb to moan at, we have a sport run by the promoters, i understand the reasons why less racenights were voted through,we have rules tinkered with mid-season,but now in the 21st century is it not time for the sport to have its own independent governing body. 

But what if an independent governing body voted in a rule all 11 Champ promoters disagreed with & thought it would costs would be prohibitive? Can't see promoters wanting to give it a chance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

then its tough,they either tow the line or sell up, turkeys dont get to vote for christmas in real life,but our promoters do.

if there was an independent governing body they would surely make sure the sport is cost effective.so that scenario probably would not arise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9 July 2018 at 6:34 PM, RobHowe said:

I understand your frustration but, given that the schedule has been known for many months now, I find it strange that people are seemingly surprised by this and feel the need to complain about it.

In my opinion a couple of issues have created this situation.

Firstly despite the horrible weather the country experienced throughout March and April we actually only lost one meeting to the weather.

And secondly we didn’t progress in the Shield and KOC as we perhaps thought we would.

Given both of those it’s a fair assumption that these “gaps” in the schedule were created deliberately to accommodate re-scheduled meetings and additional fixtures in the two aforementioned competitions.

That we subsequently haven’t needed to use these dates up has created this situation.

But rather than have a 2 week gap the club / promotion have done something about it and arranged an individual meeting - potentially at some cost - to limit this to just one week.

So aside from creating other fixtures out of thin air I’m at a loss to know what they are supposed to do.

Its frustrating for me because I’m free this Thursday when there’s no meeting and then I’m away for the next three Thursdays on holiday when there are meetings. But that’s life.

I just wish some fans could see the positives and the efforts that the club / promotion have made and are making to give us as much continuity throughout the season.

Sadly in the eyes of some fans the club / promotion are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

Shame the fixture wasn't on the fixture list earlier as you have lost the Berwick bus as it's going to Swindon instead. Was supposed to be Sheffield, Somerset and Cardiff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy