British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waytogo28

Pay Rates Mystery

That's not the point though is it. He is speculating with fantasy figures for his own purposes. They give everyone a false picture, just the same as 'the average' doesn't tell what the top earners get which is what he is also wanting to know. As I and others have said, why should the wages of riders be known, when it is a personal matter what deal a rider is on. 'What does a rider earn', then begs the question off what is paid to the rider by the promotion, and what and how much is he also getting in terms of a wage or a sponsorship from a sponsor. One riders earnings from his team doesn't corollate with another earnings of a fellow rider who might be part paid or on a guarantee. There are bigger things in Speedway to contend with than personal earnings.

Is he speculating with fantasy figures ,that's just another persons opinion.He is just asking what the average points money is in speedway,not what riders earn through other means.Thats is a problem in the sport they take your money then plead poverty without telling you where the money is going.Are all these Promotions really losing thousands a week or are the just using the sport to help their Tax returns in some cases.Thats my last say on this topic.
  • Like 1

Although the "brotherhood" seems to be closing ranks to extinguish any discussion of a topic many fans ARE interested in I can only say what I have been told in good faith - I have not plucked these figures ( basic rates per point ) out of the air. It may be then that speedway riders are being paid far, far less than that - according to these people with a good pedigree as promoters say - in which case riders are being exploited and even abused for having dreams of sporting stardom. Perhaps the promoters are much more despotic than we imagine? Are speedway riders then the lowest paid professional sportsmen in the country? I don't want to know every detail of what a rider earns, I merely want to establish what the basics of the sport are as it is struggling to survive. If riders are so poorly paid what happened to the millions of Sky cash that poured in for 14 years? If it didn't go to the riders who pocketed it? Do you really expect fans to believe that GP riders like Jason Doyle are riding for £200 per point? When they are being paid £1,000 per point plus in Poland and not far off that in Sweden. Hmm. Very Masonic the BSPA.

And there was me thinking that the Forum was the place for discussion.

Edited by waytogo28
  • Like 1

If riders are so poorly paid what happened to the millions of Sky cash that poured in for 14 years? If it didn't go to the riders who pocketed it?

The 'millions' likely didn't amount to more than GBP 50k per track per season, and almost certainly went towards subsidising the running costs. Running a speedway team is really no way of making money, and very quick way of losing it.

Do you really expect fans to believe that GP riders like Jason Doyle are riding for £200 per point? When they are being paid £1,000 per point plus in Poland and not far off that in Sweden.

There are fewer meetings in Poland and arguably more likelihood of being dropped if you don't perform, so perhaps riders are willing to take a lower rate in Britain in the expectation of more earning possibilities, or better guarantees. Possibly sponsorship comes into it as well.

• Like 2

The 'millions' likely didn't amount to more than GBP 50k per track per season, and almost certainly went towards subsidising the running costs. Running a speedway team is really no way of making money, and very quick way of losing it.

There are fewer meetings in Poland and arguably more likelihood of being dropped if you don't perform, so perhaps riders are willing to take a lower rate in Britain in the expectation of more earning possibilities, or better guarantees. Possibly sponsorship comes into it as well.

also with pay in Poland you are expected to turn up for training , visit schools and do all sorts of promotional work for the club and you can be fined a substantial amount for something as trivial as your mechanics top button was open on his club shirt when in official capacity Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

A simple question Dean did you retire from the sport wealthier than you started from your on track performances ,did you make a living or was it always a paying hobby as it were ?.

IMO unless you are an exceptional rider with most if not all of your costs met by sponsorship etc you merely make a living wage ,I base this on the fact that the vast majority of riders retire and enter into ( not that there is anything wrong in this) average jobs .

Edited by FAST GATER

A simple question Dean did you retire from the sport wealthier than you started from your on track performances ,did you make a living or was it always a paying hobby as it were ?.

IMO unless you are an exceptional rider with most if not all of your costs met by sponsorship etc you merely make a living wage ,I base this on the fact that the vast majority of riders retire and enter into ( not that there is anything wrong in this) average jobs .

i cant say I was wealthier but there were times when I was making a bit like in 2003 , I think I did about 75 meetings that year and certainly in my last Few years I became a lot wiser about equipment and even though I was only getting £10 a point I saw it as I was getting around £120 to have a bit of fun on my bike in a Sunday but I made my business and my speedway work hand in hand and often I did deliveries on the way to meetings , I never thought speedway owed me a living and felt very lucky and privileged to be a rider but up till about 10 years ago I think most riders had other jobs , it was the norm, sponsorship was always appreciated , I got a sponsor in 1996 at long Eaton and he stuck with me for 21 years , its a 2 way thing but I see some riders are very Ungrateful , I have a friend who sponsors some current riders and quite frankly the riders treat them like dirt Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 5

With all due respect to Dean, that could just be an indication that most of them aren't among the sharpest knives in the drawer.

With all due respect to Dean, that could just be an indication that most of them aren't among the sharpest knives in the drawer.

I have no idea what it takes to get to the top as I never got there or even close but I made it so speedway didnt bankrupt me and in general at all levels riders waste money but its their choice , Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

I have no idea what it takes to get to the top as I never got there or even close but I made it so speedway didnt bankrupt me and in general at all levels riders waste money but its their choice

I know that Dean, I was really referring to his comment about 'average jobs' and didn't want you to think I was having a dig.

I know that Dean, I was really referring to his comment about 'average jobs' and didn't want you to think I was having a dig.

i know 👍🏻
  • Like 1

Please do not misunderstand what I was saying ,I meant that most riders do not earn enough from their speedway careers to retire from work there after .

With regards sponsorship Dean is spot on we sponsored 4 riders in the 70's and non of them ever said thanks for the help which ran into thousands of pounds a year and was ultimately the reason we stopped .

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 1

Please do not misunderstand what I was saying ,I meant that most riders do not earn enough from their speedway careers to retire from work there after .

the wise ones set themselves up with a business or a future income while riding ,I know a couple of riders who brought property while riding and have or are doing ok from it, I dont think anybody has thought speedway is a way to get wealthy, there are easier less painful ways to make money and if they set out and choose speedway as a way to set yourself up for life well they will be disappointed Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

B

i cant say I was wealthier but there were tines when I was making a bit like in 2003 , I think I did about 75 meetings that year and certainly in my last Few years I became a lot wiser about equipment and even though I was only getting £10 a point I saw it as I was getting around £120 to have a bit of fun on my bike in a Sunday but I made my business and my speedway work hand in hand and often I did deliveries on the way to meetings , I never thought speedway owed me a living and felt very lucky and privileged to be a rider but up till about 10 years ago I think most riders had other jobs , it was the norm, sponsorship was always appreciated , I got a sponsor in 1996 at long Eaton and he stuck with me for 21 years , its a 2 way thing but I see some riders are very Ungrateful , I have a friend who sponsors some current riders and quite frankly the riders treat them like dirt

I recall the season you had at Berwick you seemed to have an OK year Moggo was there too I think.

BI recall the season you had at Berwick you seemed to have an OK year Moggo was there too I think.

yea I was there 1999 and 2000 ,I did ok , yes moggo was there
  • Like 1

Why on earth do Speedway fans get so uppity when talking about Speedway Riders pay? It's a valid talking point, just like everyone discusses a footballers wage, or other Sports stars winnings...

• Like 2