British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waytogo28

Pay Rates Mystery

Well i do know that when my brother in law rode in the late 80's and in the 90's I never asked him how much he was on !!..I do know he rode around Europe and did his own bikes in my garage..and said he treated riding as a business and a way to make money..and at the end of it he seemed to do well..and still is...

Think it depends on the rider and their priorities but I'm certain riders can do well..although I have to admit I have no idea how much a GP rider would fork out from their own pocket now ..can't see the point in actually doing it if they were not doing well out of it though...but I've no idea..

Edited by Bruiser McHuge

Not just about pay rates though, is it? In every walk of life some people are better than others on the business side of things. At the same pay rate, whatever that might be, "making Money from Speedway" is also about how the rider approaches the business side of it, not just the pounds per point rate. Costs and sponsorship, which are very individual, have just as important a part to play in whether a rider makes a decent living. Hearing what price per point is paid is only one part of the equation and, in isolation, tells you very little about the overall position.

• Like 6

Why on earth do Speedway fans get so uppity when talking about Speedway Riders pay? It's a valid talking point, just like everyone discusses a footballers wage, or other Sports stars winnings...

[

I dont think people are getting uppity,its just some of us are pointing out that

the figures quoted about riders earnings are so far removed from what they actually

earn.

Spoke about 3 years ago with a sponsor of a rider who was at the time at a good HL level in both Leagues and rode only in Britain..

He earned between £90 - £95k from riding...

"Not much left" after paying out for kit and the general everyday cost of 12 months living was the comment..

Outlay was approx £20 - £25k each season for total start up to buy three new bikes and equip van with spare equipment etc..

There's a problem right there.

Why do the average rider sell off the previous years equipment to buy brand new for the new season?

If maintained properly frames, forks & rims can last years, same with engines.

As far as I'm concerned, if a rider says they're struggling financially after wasting money on new year in year out, well feck em.

• Like 2

Why do the average rider sell off the previous years equipment to buy brand new for the new season?

As far as I'm concerned, if a rider says they're struggling financially after wasting money on new year in year out, well feck em.

Other way of looking at it is that some 'nearly new' reasonably priced kit works it's way down the 'Rider Chain' and may encourage more participants?

Top riders will often want the latest cutting edge kit (even if it doesn't actually in reality bring any more tangible difference). ie "If the World Champ has it, then I need it"!

Some lower grade riders then see this level of kit as a 'must have' and will shell out silly money for equipment they can't do justice too!!

And then want crackers money far in excess of their actual standing to pay for it!!

A race down to the bottom if ever there was one...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

That's the thing that always puzzled me about Chris Harris when he was a Bee. :blink: The majority of seasons he would be flying by July onwards after struggling to get the right set up........ presumably........in the early months of the year. Then when everything was sorted and he was riding really well the bikes would be sold and new ones bought for the beginning of the next season. Really couldn't see the point of that but I suppose he must have had a good reason. No idea what it was though.

• Like 2

Why on earth do Speedway fans get so uppity when talking about Speedway Riders pay? It's a valid talking point, just like everyone discusses a footballers wage, or other Sports stars winnings...

[

I dont think people are getting uppity,its just some of us are pointing out that

the figures quoted about riders earnings are so far removed from what they actually

earn.

While everybody is so secretive about it that will always be the case.

• Like 1

From what I was told a few years ago, & not at my track, the rates then were about £80 for a team leader, £60 second string, £50 reserves. There was a mileage allowance as most riders are not based near their home track. Transport & mechanic normally come with a rider so new/newish van could be mentioned.

As regards sponsors, local would mainly sponsor the teams whereas local to rider would sponsors the rider as he travels the country & changes teams yearly.

Petrol, oils, tyres could attract the smaller sponsors.

Riders kit would be an individual thing(looking good or kit good enough to do the job). Improving your machinery would depend on your abilities as buying 2nd hand gear off a Tai Woffinden/Greg Hancock will not make you a world champion. You still need the abilities to set up & ride the bikes in different conditions(track size/shape/slick or grippy).

Running costs could be minimized if you have a knack for the engineering side of stripping, cleaning & re-building your engines.

jchapman posted the details below - Hurray someone on the inside helps the fans to understand the problem more easily. Thank You.

A riders remuneration package is usually made up of multiple factors with different rates for each.

1. A sign on fee which a rider may use to purchase equipment and get set up for season ahead.

2. Contribution towards travel to each meeting, including flight costs.

3. Contribution to accomodation costs ( sometimes required by the home office to obtain a work visa).

4. Guaranteed minimum earnings per match.

5. Tyre, oil and insurance costs

6. Contribution towards or supply of a mechanic

7. A fixed rate per point scored (including bonus points) which may increase or decrease based on team position. It may also have a step up in rate if the rider scores more than his average points.

When all this is combined and spread out across the whole team it is fair to say that based on 50 points being scored each meeting (including bonus points) the average cost per point was around £200 when I was running the team in the elite league. Since I left this has increased significantly and I would estimate it is around £300 per point.

This means each home meeting requires £30k of income (after VAT) to cover rider costs plus another £5k to cover rent and auxiliary costs such as paramedics.

The sky money (which ceases to exist after this season) would probably cover 30% of that and gate receipts another 30-40%. Each club then needs to rely on sponsorship and generous beneficiaries to make up the short fall.

That ladies and gentlemen is unfortunately why the sport is in the doo doos and I do not see how it can survive next year without a major revamp including cost cutting. Believe me the fixed race nights are the least of its problems.

• Like 1

jchapman posted the details below - Hurray someone on the inside helps the fans to understand the problem more easily. Thank You.

A riders remuneration package is usually made up of multiple factors with different rates for each.

1. A sign on fee which a rider may use to purchase equipment and get set up for season ahead.

2. Contribution towards travel to each meeting, including flight costs.

3. Contribution to accomodation costs ( sometimes required by the home office to obtain a work visa).

4. Guaranteed minimum earnings per match.

5. Tyre, oil and insurance costs

6. Contribution towards or supply of a mechanic

7. A fixed rate per point scored (including bonus points) which may increase or decrease based on team position. It may also have a step up in rate if the rider scores more than his average points.

When all this is combined and spread out across the whole team it is fair to say that based on 50 points being scored each meeting (including bonus points) the average cost per point was around £200 when I was running the team in the elite league. Since I left this has increased significantly and I would estimate it is around £300 per point.

This means each home meeting requires £30k of income (after VAT) to cover rider costs plus another £5k to cover rent and auxiliary costs such as paramedics.

The sky money (which ceases to exist after this season) would probably cover 30% of that and gate receipts another 30-40%. Each club then needs to rely on sponsorship and generous beneficiaries to make up the short fall.

That ladies and gentlemen is unfortunately why the sport is in the doo doos and I do not see how it can survive next year without a major revamp including cost cutting. Believe me the fixed race nights are the least of its problems.

WOW. Speedway promoters not making money and still not got a certain rate of pay because of the complications of other items in the riders deal. No mention of top earners either, but at least we know there is not too much money in Speedway. Astounding.