Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aces51

Belle Vue Colts V Mildenhall Ko Cup Sf 20/10/17

Could be another farce meeting tomorrow. Glasgow have rearranged their KO Cup match which was postponed tonight to tomorrow and are saying that Bewley and Smith will be riding for them.

That means the Colts will be without Bewley, Smith, Bickley who fractured his foot last night, Payne who has a long term shoulder injury and Mellish who also has a broken foot. This leaves Shuttleworth and Woodhull.

Whilst having sympathy with Glasgow why rearrange a meeting to a date when it was already known the Colts would be riding in an important meeting.

No doubt we will have guests and r/r but it is going to be yet another shambles of a meeting.

Yet another example of meeting with guests galore..... sadly I can foresee a poor crowd tomorrow

and who would blame those that stay away.....British Speedway this year has raised the bar on the meaning of farcical

• Like 1

Can't use the language I wish to if that is the case. There is no way in hell that Glasgow should get priority here with just over 24 hours notice....

• Like 2

Could be another farce meeting tomorrow. Glasgow have rearranged their KO Cup match which was postponed tonight to tomorrow and are saying that Bewley and Smith will be riding for them.

That means the Colts will be without Bewley, Smith, Bickley who fractured his foot last night, Payne who has a long term shoulder injury and Mellish who also has a broken foot. This leaves Shuttleworth and Woodhull.

Whilst having sympathy with Glasgow why rearrange a meeting to a date when it was already known the Colts would be riding in an important meeting.

No doubt we will have guests and r/r but it is going to be yet another shambles of a meeting.[/quote

How long has Lee Payne been out for? Surely Belle Vue could have full time replaced him or has it suited them to be going R/R with Bewley, Bickley and Smith gaining extra rides?

Edited by iand
  • Like 1

No doubt we will have guests and r/r but it is going to be yet another shambles of a meeting.[/quote

How long has Lee Payne been out for? Surely Belle Vue could have full time replaced him or has it suited them to be going R/R with Bewley, Bickley and Smith gaining extra rides?

He wasn't replaced because it was believed that his shoulder wasn't expected to be a long term or season ending injury.I think somebody recently did an analysis and r/r has not been as good as Payne's average. We have managed without Lee but tonight's problem has been caused by Glasgow rearranging their meeting last night for tonight. It wasn't ideal but we could cover Payne, Bickley and Mellish but to add Bewley and Smith makes it a farce of a meeting.

Edited by Aces51

The problem hasn't been caused by Glasgow, it has been caused by the rules. Glasgow were meant to be racing against Workington tonight and in effect have swapped one meeting for another. Jack Smith is a Glasgow asset so we have actually helped the Colts and aces by loaning him to you thus helping you win trophies. Is it too much to ask that he helps us to try and win one? Finally whether you agree with the rules or not premier and championship matches take priority over NL matches apart from riders championship

That hasn't been the case with the NL play offs though has it. Belle vue, Kent and lakeside had priority in their semi final 2nd legs. Both Glasgow and Newcastle had fixtures on the same nights.

the other issue is cramming all these meetings into the last 10 days of the season, impacts on too many teams esp ones with two riders chasing trophys

• Like 1

That hasn't been the case with the NL play offs though has it. Belle vue, Kent and lakeside had priority in their semi final 2nd legs. Both Glasgow and Newcastle had fixtures on the same nights.

Good to hear that they made the wrong decision on a consistent basis. As others said on other threads these decisions were made despite what the rules say in black and white

The sport has a history of making things up as it goes along. Confusion is the name of the game as far as speedway is concerned.

Davey and Hopwood guest and says Hall on stand by for the Colts.

The problem hasn't been caused by Glasgow, it has been caused by the rules. Glasgow were meant to be racing against Workington tonight and in effect have swapped one meeting for another. Jack Smith is a Glasgow asset so we have actually helped the Colts and aces by loaning him to you thus helping you win trophies. Is it too much to ask that he helps us to try and win one? Finally whether you agree with the rules or not premier and championship matches take priority over NL matches apart from riders championship

I agree that the rules should be followed although, as others have pointed out, there has been some confusion during the play offs. I didn't say I was blaming Glasgow I said it was caused by them rearranging their meeting last night to tonight, that is a fact. I don't know if they had any other options, if they didn't then it is just circumstance, if they did, then I might think otherwise. As for the Workington meeting, that was a meaningless fixture and I would guess that, as a good will gesture, knowing the good relationship between the clubs, Bewley and Smith would have ridden for the Colts. As for Smith, he is a Glasgow asset but remember that Bewley belongs to Belle Vue, so if you want to be silly about it you might want to consider who got the better deal.

Bickley is determined to ride tonight so that is going to help but it is going to be difficult to pull back the 16 point deficit. The guests will do their best but are unlikely to match the scores Bewley and Smith would get and Kemp at reserve is a trump card for Mildenhall.

On that topic I am puzzled as to how Bowen and Kemp can guest as this meeting is within 8 days of their last guest appearances.

Edited by Aces51

On that topic I am puzzled as to how Bowen and Kemp can guest as this meeting is within 8 days of their last guest appearances.

In Bowen's case, riding for the home team isn't subject to the 8 day rule in the NDL.

It wasn't that long ago that Belle Vue re-arranged their Play off semi final from a Wednesday to a Friday because of BT Sport having the Final on the following Monday. This was arranged even though the Colts were racing at Lakeside. Belle Vue could have used guests but "Priority takes Precedence" when it suits.

Not only did the Colts lose Bewley & Smith but Shuttleworth as well, as he was an unused no8!

In Bowen's case, riding for the home team isn't subject to the 8 day rule in the NDL.

So Kemp isn't eligible?