British Speedway Forum

Can someone explain to me how Belle Vue have managed to stage 38 home meetings this season, yet Stoke, just 40 miles down the road, with a similar climate and total access to the stadium, have managed to stage just 11 meetings and still have 2 NL matches outstanding which, under the rules, should have been completed before 24 September?

Belle Vue ,don't have to fit in with other users of the stadium for one thing

They do. That's my point.

The stadium I undertand is used for American football on Saturdays and Sundays and for schools football and rugby though the week. They also aren't allowed to run speedway at the same time that Stock car racing is on at the Greyhound stadium next door...yet they still managed to organise things to fit in 38 meetings.

Stoke who own the lease to their own stadium, and can run on Saturday and Sunday (and probably other days) can't even organise to fit in 12 meetings in a 30 week season... why?

We could write a book on this one......

It seems this happens every year with Stoke trying to cram October fixtures and not completing the fixtures.

Why anyone would think of a season ticket at Stoke (as an ex season ticket holder at Stoke) is beyond me.

Seems to me that one of the essential criteria for a promoter to have is the trust of the local supporters.

This is hard won and easily lost.

The reason Stoke haven't completed their fixtures is because the stadium is a dump. The team is rubbish, the track is crap ,and the promoters are useless.

The reason Stoke haven't completed their fixtures is because the stadium is a dump. The team is rubbish, the track is crap ,and the promoters are useless.

Anything else

Anything else

I'd suggest the last point is the cause of Points 2 and 3.

Not sure that many of our Stadia would pass a beauty contest?

I can rmemebr in the last few seasons down the road ,belle vue failing to complete their elite league fixtures , Why?

I am wondering why WP is so surprised (if he is surprised). Stoke couldn't fulfil their fixtures in 2013, 2014 or 2016 either.

• Like 1

It's a pity people don't try & sort out the problems of their own clubs, instead of trying to put the boot into others.

I am wondering why WP is so surprised (if he is surprised). Stoke couldn't fulfil their fixtures in 2013, 2014 or 2016 either.

I ve banged this drum for a couple of seasons, some sort of sanction getting the meetings scheduled all before July or something must be posible.
  • Like 1

What always concerns me , especially with clubs that are teetering on the brink , sanctions could tip the balance . I know if i was a promoter who was struggling to keep going and the BSPA sanctioned me in any way . that would be it for me , people baying for promoters to quit etc ,need to wake up and smell the coffee . you may not like your promotion but most of the time they are the only ones who are going to keep the club running . I have seen many posters on here claiming to be Stoke supporters who wont go until the current promotion are gone , well don't be surprised if you don't go after Tattum has gone ,because there more and likely will be no Stoke to go to . the current state of speedway the BSPA should never sanction anyone .offer them help by all means but speedway is no goldmine and handing out silly fines is no help to anybody , and you stoke fans do the same ,get to your end of season do and offer your help to tidy the place up instead of sitting at home running the place down ,one things for sure the BSPA have closed down more tracks with their silly sanctions than they have ever assisted to keep going ..

The reason people don't go to Stoke Speedway is crap racing, dreadful tracks, an awful, rundown stadium, poor 'Dad's Army' teams and, in particular, a surly, hostile - even abusive - promotion. People have walked away in their dozens for that last reason alone.

Why on earth should people pay for or support something like that ?

If Stoke does close, then the blame for that will lie entirely with those that run it - not with the BSPA and not with those that stay away.

In the last years of the previous promotion at Isle of Wight, gates were between 75 & 100 per week. This season, they were between 300 & 600. According to promoter Barry Bishop, they broke even in 2017.

One of the main reasons for that was the way they treat the people at the turnstiles every week - quite simply, as someone they want to return and they have attracted almost universal credit and praise for it. This week, they were rightly nominated for the WSRA community club of the year award.

Quite a contrast with Stoke, isn't it ?

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 6

As it’s the official end of the season week Wednesday, any idea when today’s meetings are being run please, or are they not running them

On the SGB website - re Stoke:

::::::

TRAVEL PLUS NATIONAL LEAGUE

Stoke v Buxton - OFF
Re-staging: Friday October 27, 7pm
Stoke v Isle of Wight - OFF
Re-staging: Tuesday October 24, 7pm

Congratulations to Stoke for finding some re-staging dates even though they will probably cost the club money with very few turning out on a Tuesday night? (which is a shame as nobody does anything on a Tuesday so its a perfect speedway night).

Either way it would be good if they can complete their fixtures after so many failed attempts over the past few years.

Im not going to go into the failings of Stoke as i have other things to do today but there is a scruffy charm about the club and i would hate to see it fold.

As for fixtures as mentioned by someone else league fixtures need to be run first then KO Cups etc can follow. If a team hasn't completed their home league fixtures by X date they don't go in the hat for the knockouts?

It's a hard conundrum tbh, it's unfair on the teams who miss fixtures because of stokes eneptitude but you can't award points to the away team as that's unfair to other teams in the league. Stoke are not a rich club so a fine is pointless. But something has to happen to push stoke into getting thier fixtures completed.

For the record I love the place as it has a certain charm to it, and always look forward to my visits there.

• Like 2