British Speedway Forum

31 minutes ago, happy potter said:

a Loomer Road season ticket holder.

You don't want to be one of them mate, not worth the ink that is printed on it.

I thought the rarity factor added to its value :D begs the question what is rarer a Loomer season ticket or a smile from the woman on the gate?

• Haha 1

You lot that are always have a go at Stoke Speedway make me vomit, They have Speedway not like Cradley, Hull, Newport, Reading, Wimbledon, Bristol, Carmarthen, Hackney, Romford, Exeter, Crewe, Oxford, To name just a few, Ask any fans from thm clubs if they would  swap with Stoke,

You never hear  of any rider that has ridden for Stoke complaining of not getting payed do you, not like riders from other teams. 

18 minutes ago, Argos said:

You lot that are always have a go at Stoke Speedway make me vomit, They have Speedway not like Cradley, Hull, Newport, Reading, Wimbledon, Bristol, Carmarthen, Hackney, Romford, Exeter, Crewe, Oxford, To name just a few, Ask any fans from thm clubs if they would  swap with Stoke,

You never hear  of any rider that has ridden for Stoke complaining of not getting payed do you, not like riders from other teams. 

Hey Argos, do you enjoy your visits to Loomer Road?

Every track has it's good points, so I'll list one good point and you tell us some of the other things you like about Stoke:-

1. Excellent track shop run by nice people.

ok, over to you Argy:-

1 hour ago, Argos said:

Er ............yes.

2 hours ago, adonis said:

you must be deaf then 

Think you are deliberately missing the point 

There is no doubt that Stoke has its faults & that finances are a large factor of this but there are plenty of positives too like the track shape is good, it can produce good racing & the viewing is excellent. What often lets down visits there is the approach from the club. If they had the IOW style upbeat attitude along with a welcoming atmosphere you would find many are far more forgiving. Every year i hope to see Stoke succeed on the track but for them to succeed off track they need to accept the failings and look to address them one step at a time rather than deny they even exist.

• Like 3

A free brew at the "press and practice" day would be a good start.

I went a couple of years ago and it was all pretty embarrassing. There might have been 20 or so supporters there listening to the riders telling us how they were going to be the team to beat. Even Ben Wilson sounded a tad unconvincing. It was freezing cold outside and it was even more freezing cold inside the Loomer Road "restaurant" building. Then of course, there was all the usual guff from messers Tattum and Vasey about how the glory days for the Potters were just round the corner.

The smell of brewing coffee at least offered some comfort to the bored rigid fans who would soon have to go outside and be the frozen rigid fans watching the latest band of Potters mercenaries do a couple of pointless laps each. You might have expected that as a gesture of goodwill to the hardy souls who had pitched up for this sham, then at least the Potters' coffers might have stretched to a bit of hot water and a few cheapo coffee granules. The outstretched, taloned hand of Mrs T indicated that you get nowt for free at Gloomy Road. I wouldn't mind but it was a pretty sh*t cup of coffee.

I watched a few minutes of riders taking it in turns to have a spurt around the uneven surface that was pretending to be a track. The young lad who had trolled all the way down from Scotland with his dad and was meant to be one of the reserves went out twice, fell off twice and was never seen again. I mounted up, rode out and vowed that would be the last of those that I would be pitching up to.

A press and practice day is surely a great opportunity for promoters to get the fans involved, give 'em a free brew and make them feel involved with the club that they try and support. Perhaps now that Stoke have a "commercial manager", this year's jamboree might have something of a more professional and inclusive feel to it and hopefully, should anyone decide to go along, they might be kind enough to let us know how it pans out.

Edited by fubar
spelling
  • Like 1

Does any Stoke fan kindly have a 2015 team photo they could scan for me? Thanks.  

pm me if possible.

As previously said by Fubar and Adonis you get nowt from Loomer.

Communication between fans and management was poor to say the least and when fans voiced their dislike to a bad result the promoter thought it best to have a slanging match with said people, until you face him up on a monday dinner when no one else is there and he turns into a softly spoken chap, lol

Commercial manager whoever that may be should be going around the local schools with a rider and his bike and a short video to try and entice the next generation of fans, (kids come in free and the parent half price for that meeting) and maybe just maybe they will come again, but the commercial side of that club is woeful to say the least.

As said before it is a good race track if prepared properly and has great views and possible potential for expansion with more bars or buildings to keep fans warm on the back straight.

It's not hard, promote properly within your area, sell the place to large companies and build up the place to a good level and fans might come back.

My two children's god father was a previous Stoke captain in the 2000's and he loved the place but when another rider came from another club and sort of took over that's when the problems started as Mrs T found the new rider captivating and did all he wanted and balls to the rest!!

Not sure about payment problems never heard that but it wouldn't surprise me if problems happened.

The club is not going anywhere other than closure as he now relies on the stock cars and if that goes then he is FUBAR'd.

On 9/3/2018 at 8:18 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

There is no doubt that Stoke has its faults & that finances are a large factor of this but there are plenty of positives too like the track shape is good, it can produce good racing & the viewing is excellent. What often lets down visits there is the approach from the club. If they had the IOW style upbeat attitude along with a welcoming atmosphere you would find many are far more forgiving. Every year i hope to see Stoke succeed on the track but for them to succeed off track they need to accept the failings and look to address them one step at a time rather than deny they even exist.

I agree, Stoke is a great shape for racing and as someone who attends Monday open practise days it's great for learning on. Whilst shale may be lacking at times I always enjoy riding at Stoke. Hopefully the team will have a better year on track too.

Sam Woods taking a break from the sport so maybe a replacement needed

2 hours ago, Panthers89 said:

Sam Woods taking a break from the sport so maybe a replacement needed

Unsuprising. Been a horrific few months for such a lovely lad.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Unsuprising. Been a horrific few months for such a lovely lad.

No idea what his problems have been but wish the lad well.

No mention yet on the Potter's site but I'm sure that they will have a cunning plan.

8 hours ago, fubar said:

No mention yet on the Potter's site but I'm sure that they will have a cunning plan.

Believe its a couple of close family bereavements in the space of a few months.

14 hours ago, fubar said:

Some lad from Carmarthen Dragons?