British Speedway Forum

Pretty sure Shaun Tedham will fit without looking at ave 

14 minutes ago, mac101 said:

Agreed although i was a little surprised he wasn't included from the start so perhaps Stoke are moving away from the status quo?

6 hours ago, mac101 said:

He does fit. If he wanted the spot then surely he would’ve been there from the start. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Agreed although i was a little surprised he wasn't included from the start so perhaps Stoke are moving away from the status quo?

Wow! Sings is perhaps suggesting that the Gloomy Roadsters are about to become the progressive movers and shakers in the National League.

I'm not holding my breath on that one.

• Haha 1

Apparently, the press and practice day has been postponed and the Pride of the Potteries has also bitten the dust.

Not a hugely encouraging start by the Gloomy Roadsters.

Still look on the bright side.........things can only get better.

On 26/03/2018 at 8:45 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

William O'Keefe it is then.

Sorry, lad.

33 minutes ago, fubar said:

William O'Keefe it is then.

Sorry, lad.

What are you sorry for?

I'm sorry that William appears to be taken on and then discarded  whenever the wind changes direction.

Whilst he may not have set the world alight, the lad does seem a genuine trier and I really do hope that, as seems to happen with so many of these youngsters, he doesn't get booted out before he gets the chance to make some kind of a mark.

Hope it works out for the young man.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, adonis said:

He wouldn't get discarded  if he scored some points when he gets taken on , he's had plenty of chances to make his mark 

Well, if the lad is that useless why have Stoke taken him on?

If you were the head honcho at Gloomy Road how many meetings would you give William before you replace him with another bargain basement hopeful?

If Wlliam can get his nose out front he will score good points but he has yet to show a willingness to mix it in the first corner / scrap in a race. He might struggle is Loomer road is bumpy. That said he will probably outscore Alcock most weeks. Some sides will offer up points for them but other weeks its going to be the battle of who gets the 3rd in heat 2.

So, these mostly young riders are taken on by various clubs just so as the fairground operators can keep the show on the road and as long as the punters keep coughing up their shekels every couple of weeks then everything in the garden is rosy?

Surely, promoters owe some duty of care to young riders and in return for them trolling all round the country to race for less than 5 minutes a meeting at probably not inconsiderable expense and risk to themselves then the clubs need to give some kind of ongoing support to these riders rather than simply giving them the heave ho whenever it suits their short-term objectives.

One might hope that the governing body might lay down guidelines on how young riders should be treated and developed but then we are talking speedway here so there is probably more chance of me becoming Pope Fubar the First.

I am trying to remember the name of the young lad who came down from Scotland a couple of season's ago to be Stoke's reserve but I don't think his feet touched the ground before he was given the order of the boot. I hate to think what effect this casual discarding must have on the self esteem and mental well-being of these youngsters but don't lets worry as I am sure there will be some more cannon fodder pitching up any time soon.

Seems all a bit shoddy to me but perhaps I expect too much of people.......

• Like 1

For far too long promotions have taken no responsibility for the riders they are tracking or the safety of those around them. There have been many riders who are simply not up to the standard of NL racing but placed on the line with others despite their questionable competence.

Others of course have been hauled along with the speed and initially given the appearance of being capable only to have a big off at a later date.

As you mention there are then the riders like Liam Millar who get dragged into a NL team (and can't always blame the rider if a NL team thinks you are ready then you are ready right?) does a couple of meetings, scores duck eggs then is dropped and tarred forever as a NL failure despite being introduced too early to stand any fair chance. Many NL clubs do very little to generate the next riders to the sport yet are happy to moan like crazy when the standard of suitable 3 pointers just isn't there.

• Like 1

As usual, Sings4Speedway speaks wise words.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, adonis said:

and of course these not ready have a knock on effect on riders who are just ready , artificially inflating their averages which moves them into the main body before THEY  are ready , to then be demoralised because they cannot compete with genuine main body members or heaved out through lack of results against stronger opposition  instead of a decent run at reserve while they hone their craft , 

and therefore increasing the averages of the genuine main body members meaning a glut of 9-10 point riders that are either discarded at team building the following year or included creating the need for 2 x new 3.00 riders at the tail and so the circle continues. Riders are no longer given the time to hone their skills as any rider aged 15-17 with bike is deemed ready to be gambled on in the NL. For every success there will be 5 times as many failures who may have made it if they were given longer to progress. Ive seen riders who are unable to lay a bike down or make the decision to do it quick enough in the NL and fortunately no major injuries thus far but i do feel its if rather than when it will happen and yet the promotions will still take no accountability when that dreaded day comes.

I understand the views about the vulnerability of the new young riders, but it is my opinion that most of the fault lies with the BSPA who

this year ( and probably in the past too) engineered a silly low team building average making it certain that some teams would have to employ

young riders who are not ready.  Not all promoters discard riders easily.  But they are few and far between..   If this year the points average would have been a healthy 42.5

then all the capable riders now without team places would have a job while some of the no hopers at 6 & 7 would still be attending training schools where they belong.

• Like 1