British Speedway Forum

8 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

Good of the Stoke Clerk of the Course to explain the reason behind the new signing.  

Could he also explain why the match was "postponed anyway"

Why are Stoke allowed to continually postpone matches on nice dry nights for no apparent reason? I can see a backlog happening again at the end of October in bad weather. 

I myself was disappointed that it was called off but I believe that the   heavy bought of rain we had on Wednesday afternoon and through Thursday night and a localised quite heavy rain in the Morning of Saturday the Track was wet it did not stop raining from early morning till dinnertime where I live about a mile from the track but as usual with Postponements after being called off the weather improves but it is the problems caused Earlier and I cannot see that the Promotion wants to call it off, what would people who travelled from Kent have to say if they had arrived and then it was called off but Stoke are not the only Team to have called off meetings this year think on the horrible weather we have had earlier in the Season

8 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

Good of the Stoke Clerk of the Course to explain the reason behind the new signing.  

Could he also explain why the match was "postponed anyway"

Why are Stoke allowed to continually postpone matches on nice dry nights for no apparent reason? I can see a backlog happening again at the end of October in bad weather. 

Am I right in thinking that Tony Mole used to be the Promotor at Stoke, I’m sure I see him there earlier this Season, wouldn’t it be marvellous if he took over from Dave Tattum 

1 hour ago, Argos said:

Am I right in thinking that Tony Mole used to be the Promotor at Stoke, I’m sure I see him there earlier this Season, wouldn’t it be marvellous if he took over from Dave Tattum 

Tony does come to Stoke quite a few times during the Season He was never named as the Promotor but perhaps a background advisor to John Woolridge or when Graham and Denise Drury took over for a short spell.

Surely now the time has come for the SCB to take action over the ongoing safety problems at Stoke.

In the last 3 meetings, 3 riders have ended up in hospital.  Last week James Chattin ended up in critical care with broken ribs, a collapsed lung and a damaged spleen  (Thankfully now on the way to recovery).

Tonight heat 1 took 4 attempts to run, and ended with just 1 finisher and one faller pushing over the line for 2nd place.  The match was abandoned when 3 riders all fell on the second bend of heat 11.   In between there were 13 fallers in 10 heats, and 3 riders withdrawn from the meeting with various injuries.  Spectators were again covered in ridiculous clouds of dust from the first bend.

It was also the fourth meeting of the season to have a second half MDL meeting planned....and the MDL riders are yet to race a meeting.  Every single one postponed/abandoned by some sort of Stoke induced calamity.

All this on a dry, fine night.

Things have now gone beyond a joke.  Riders and fans have long been inconvenienced by the dust, poor track, generator failures, air-fence deflations, electric failures, etc etc... but when rider safety is being so badly compromised with riders ending up in hospital on a regular basis, and multiple riders withdrawing injured every meeting, surely it's time for action.

• Like 7

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:44 PM, Ghosty said:

Dave Tatum try's hard to run Stoke, But I think it's on a limited budget! He needs to sell-up or give-up & someone else with fresh ideas & more financial clout to come in & rejuvenate Stoke Speedway PLEASE.............. 

Every track in the NL is on a limited budget (some more than most, maybe). That's not an excuse.

6 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

Surely now the time has come for the SCB to take action over the ongoing safety problems at Stoke.

In the last 3 meetings, 3 riders have ended up in hospital.  Last week James Chattin ended up in critical care with broken ribs, a collapsed lung and a damaged spleen  (Thankfully now on the way to recovery).

Tonight heat 1 took 4 attempts to run, and ended with just 1 finisher and one faller pushing over the line for 2nd place.  The match was abandoned when 3 riders all fell on the second bend of heat 11.   In between there were 13 fallers in 10 heats, and 3 riders withdrawn from the meeting with various injuries.  Spectators were again covered in ridiculous clouds of dust from the first bend.

It was also the fourth meeting of the season to have a second half MDL meeting planned....and the MDL riders are yet to race a meeting.  Every single one postponed/abandoned by some sort of Stoke induced calamity.

All this on a dry, fine night.

Things have now gone beyond a joke.  Riders and fans have long been inconvenienced by the dust, poor track, generator failures, air-fence deflations, electric failures, etc etc... but when rider safety is being so badly compromised with riders ending up in hospital on a regular basis, and multiple riders withdrawing injured every meeting, surely it's time for action.

According to the IOW facebook page, the meeting was abandoned after the Warriors requested a track inspection and its probably not a coincidence that that was after heat 10. There are some choice words about Stoke Speedway on that page. 

I suspect the SCB will get involved now. 

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Every track in the NL is on a limited budget (some more than most, maybe). That's not an excuse.

According to the IOW facebook page, the meeting was abandoned after the Warriors requested a track inspection and its probably not a coincidence that that was after heat 10. There are some choice words about Stoke Speedway on that page. 

I suspect the SCB will get involved now. 

Don't hold your breath.

Why would you go there as a spectator?....that's with 25 years regular attendance as a Potters fan. It used too be abuse from the promotion, now it's not even excuses.

I think Dave Tatum does the track still? The 10 heat match appears a regular at Loomer Road....There have been chances to sell but to no avail...I'm just really sad that what was my club ends up like this.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Don't hold your breath.

You might well be right but I think that an abandonment due to the state of the track and after injuries and multiple falls and without any adverse weather should always be investigated.

Many moons ago, Milton Keynes got kicked out of the league for similar scenarios like stoke are serving up on a weekly basis.

• Like 1

Hard to believe it is 27 years since I visited Loomer Road and my abiding memory is that the track received absolutely no attention for the entire meeting - no grading, no rakers and it doesn't sound as much has changed (or, if it has, it is for the worse).

What beggars belief is just why the referee waited until a track inspection was requested - it must have been obvious something was badly wrong much earlier.

When was the last time stoke ran a meeting which ran without any track, generater or curfew problems.  

No one wants to see a track close but the safety of the riders must be the prime concern. I think the time has come for the promotion to be suspended until the SCB are happy for it to resume or it’s sold or leased out to a fit and proper promotion. 

• Like 1

Called back from Glasgow the previous night, 2nd time at Stoke this year. If I've seen a worse Speedway meeting than last night, I would have to go a very long way back!!

16 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

What sort of crowd numbers do you think were there last night 

I was told by an IOW fan that was there, 150 at most, and thats being generous..

• Thanks 1

Usually once or twice a year Stoke comes in for a hammering due to an iffy track and the occasional comedy generator failure but things have now gone far beyond a joke. Its just one disastrous meeting after another. Multiple fallers and second halves abandoned consistently. Its difficult to work out who i feel most sorry for the loyal paying supporters, the riders who fear their seasons may be over if they ride there or the Development league lads who turn up every week, watch a terrible meeting then load up and go home out of pocket time and time again.

• Like 4