British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WalterPlinge

Stoke

As it’s the official end of the season week Wednesday, any idea when today’s meetings are being run please, or are they not running them

On the SGB website - re Stoke:

::::::

TRAVEL PLUS NATIONAL LEAGUE

Stoke v Buxton - OFF
Re-staging: Friday October 27, 7pm
Stoke v Isle of Wight - OFF
Re-staging: Tuesday October 24, 7pm

Congratulations to Stoke for finding some re-staging dates even though they will probably cost the club money with very few turning out on a Tuesday night? (which is a shame as nobody does anything on a Tuesday so its a perfect speedway night).

Either way it would be good if they can complete their fixtures after so many failed attempts over the past few years.

Im not going to go into the failings of Stoke as i have other things to do today but there is a scruffy charm about the club and i would hate to see it fold.

As for fixtures as mentioned by someone else league fixtures need to be run first then KO Cups etc can follow. If a team hasn't completed their home league fixtures by X date they don't go in the hat for the knockouts?

It's a hard conundrum tbh, it's unfair on the teams who miss fixtures because of stokes eneptitude but you can't award points to the away team as that's unfair to other teams in the league. Stoke are not a rich club so a fine is pointless. But something has to happen to push stoke into getting thier fixtures completed.

For the record I love the place as it has a certain charm to it, and always look forward to my visits there.

• Like 2

Place is a dump, run into the ground and no future!

Lots of people went on a Saturday night when we were in the Premier but the so called 3 year plan to bounce back is another load of crap spouted by the promotion.

Would rather go to other stadiums than the one 2 mins away from my house!

Can't fulfill the fixtures due to being more interested in making money from the stock cars and the speedway taking a back seat,run the stocks but shut the speedway as it is a joke!

Loomer Road is one of only a few purpose built speedway stadia in the UK. The architects plans were the blueprint for Vojens, which opened in Sept 1975. (After Ole Olsen borrowed the plans).

The original design incorporated long track bends outside the speedway ones to allow long track speedway in the UK.

The current track was remodelled in 1979 by Pete Jarman with multiple changes since.

When run well can generate a great business.

The only way forward for a successful meaningful team is by new owners.

Sadly it's a microcosm of how UK speedway is run.

Lots of vested interests, infighting and too little business acumen.

• Like 3

Loomer Road is one of only a few purpose built speedway stadia in the UK. The architects plans were the blueprint for Vojens, which opened in Sept 1975. (After Ole Olsen borrowed the plans).

The original design incorporated long track bends outside the speedway ones to allow long track speedway in the UK.

The current track was remodelled in 1979 by Pete Jarman with multiple changes since.

When run well can generate a great business.

The only way forward for a successful meaningful team is by new owners.

Sadly it's a microcosm of how UK speedway is run.

Lots of vested interests, infighting and too little business acumen.

I was about to say that there is no doubt that the track itself is one of the best shaped in British Speedway and I have, on occasion (and unfortunately years ago), seen some top quality racing there.

I actually think its a lot simpler than that and would (yet again) point to Isle Of Wight as an example. Its just a matter of doing your best to attract and retain paying customers, and the first step is to treat them as someone who is doing you a favour (by giving you money) rather than the other way around.

• Like 6

Weather perfect here today, blue skies no clouds and a small breeze, probably end up with a power failure!!! :rofl:

or the paramedic or ambulance won't turn up.
  • Like 1

The reason people don't go to Stoke Speedway is crap racing, dreadful tracks, an awful, rundown stadium, poor 'Dad's Army' teams and, in particular, a surly, hostile - even abusive - promotion. People have walked away in their dozens for that last reason alone.

Not to mention the random postponements, mystery generator failures and missing medical cover....

• Like 2

According to updates ,,,, both meetings will be 10 heats due to lack of time.

Is it any wonder that Stoke is on my banned list and has been for a long time.

Give me new promoters and I will go back

• Like 5

I.O.W 5 guests and r/r and no one mentions it because let's face it it's just normal practice now. How much to get in Stoke tonight for 20 heats

or the paramedic or ambulance won't turn up.

Nearly! There was a rider turn up late instead.

I.O.W 5 guests and r/r and no one mentions it because let's face it it's just normal practice now. How much to get in Stoke tonight for 20 heats

4 guests. Updates were wrong.

• Like 1