British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Speedway Memorabilia

As a matter of interest do people still collect speedway programmes, badges etc?

I had an extensive collection of programmes but reluctantly sold them due to re-location and lack of space...something that I have regretted ever since.

I had a few badges (remember those with the year bars?)

I gave away many speedway books but have started to replace them and they are a source of continual reference. The auto-biographical books that are in abundance now make for very interesting reading and thought provoking quite often.

My brother had a collection of shale from tracks around the country (including Wembley!) in those little 'tic-tac' mint perspex boxes!

I wish that I had a garage because the thought of purchasing an original JAP or Jawa speedway bike would fulfil a dream!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

Same here Steve. I parted with all my programmes, books and badges when we down-sized properties. Piles of programmes dating from 1960, countless badges from a whole host of now defunct tracks, Speedway Stars, Speedway Posts, Speedway Pix (remember that?) and a huge pile of books. How I regret that but sadly things had to go. Moving from a 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom flat meant sacrifices. Sad thing is, as my memory starts deceiving me I no longer have such a great source of reference, and of course dipping in to old memorabilia brings back such great memories.

• Like 1

Same here Steve. I parted with all my programmes, books and badges when we down-sized properties. Piles of programmes dating from 1960, countless badges from a whole host of now defunct tracks, Speedway Stars, Speedway Posts, Speedway Pix (remember that?) and a huge pile of books. How I regret that but sadly things had to go. Moving from a 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom flat meant sacrifices. Sad thing is, as my memory starts deceiving me I no longer have such a great source of reference, and of course dipping in to old memorabilia brings back such great memories.

...I had the complete collection of Speedway Stars (1972 - 2004ish) and Express and Mail. Such a shame as I have to rely on the old grey matter...easier said than done sometimes!!

Thank goodness for the 'Backtrack' and 'Classic' magazines which give the old memory cells a nudge!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

As a matter of interest do people still collect speedway programmes, badges etc?

I had an extensive collection of programmes but reluctantly sold them due to re-location and lack of space...something that I have regretted ever since.

I gave away many speedway books but have started to replace them and they are a source of continual reference. The auto-biographical books that are in abundance now make for very interesting reading and thought provoking quite often.

My brother had a collection of shale from tracks around the country (including Wembley!) in those little 'tic-tac' mint perspex boxes!

I wish that I had a garage because the thought of purchasing an original JAP or Jawa speedway bike would fulfil a dream!

On the badges, just been given a Berwick Bandits badge, with a 1985 bar on it. He asked me to give it to someone who collects them

• Like 1

I have, and still wear a 1964 Sunderland 'Saints' Badge complete with 1964 Year Bar. :t:

Sad really I suppose - but it helps keep the memories alive. :sad: :sad:

• Like 4

I'm just as sad as I do wear a West Ham badge, sans year bar.

• Like 3

...and I have my Oxford 'Cheetahs' badge. I'm sure I have a White City 'Rebels' badge somewhere?

I used to have a massive collection - programmes, badges, books, clothing, stickers, pictures, boards, etc . Sold it all when I moved

Did scan all the programmes & some of the pics before they went so that's something ipunfortunatly didn't do the badges both in the thonusands

Do miss them but with Newport gone (again) I gave up on collecting

Edited by Ken Morgan
  • Like 3

Yes I have a large collection of programmes, especially pre 30s

• Like 2

Yes I have a large collection of programmes, especially pre 30s

...that's impressive.

From memory my oldest programme(s) dated from the late forties and I had many World Finals and firsts of various tracks and from abroad...sigh!

• Like 1

I used to have a massive collection - programmes, badges, books, clothing, stickers, pictures, boards, etc . Sold it all when I moved

Did scan all the programmes & some of the pics before they went so that's something ipunfortunatly didn't do the badges both in the thonusands

Do miss them but with Newport gone (again) I gave up on collecting

I went to Somerton Park in 1967 when West Ham were the visitors. From memory (may be faulty) that year I did Hackney, Wimbledon, Kings Lynn, Oxford, Newport, Cradley, Long Eaton, Coventry, Leicester, Belle Vue (Hyde Road), Glasgow (White City), Edinburgh (Meadowbank), Poole, Swindon. If it wasn't '67 it was '68 or maybe spanning both seasons.

I can still hear the seller at West Ham shouting out "Speedway Star, the monthly Speedway Post".

• Like 2

I still have my programmes from Stoke going back to 1983 and various programmes from away tracks over the years.

I got rid of my Speedway Stars from the 80's-90's quite a few years back unfortunately.

I also still have my Stoke coat somewhere covered with patches, badges and stickers. And I've still got a scrap book with rider photos and articles in and a couple of photos of me with riders. Happy days! Used to live for Saturday night down Loomer Rd. :-)

• Like 2

Yes, speedway collecting is still very popular, and some items fetch really good prices, especially on eBay. I have a very large London speedway collection, but I have been thinning it out since moving house a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

Yes, speedway collecting is still very popular, and some items fetch really good prices, especially on eBay. I have a very large London speedway collection, but I have been thinning it out since moving house a couple of years ago.

I was very proud of my entire 1977 programme collection that included every meeting 'The Rebels' took part in during that season (BL, KOC, 4TT etc)...and then gave it away at a very small cost!

Due to storage issues I dumped my entire collection of programmes from 1969-2006 in a skip and gave away 33 years of Speedway Stars(all boxed),a full set of 5-1 ,complete set of Speedway Now and various other magazines in 2006 via an ad in Speedway Star.They went on the day the advert appeared.

Then a few months later bought a PC and discovered eBay :(

• Like 3