British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Speedway Memorabilia

I never collected programmes, but I used to have a huge collection of speedway magazines (mostly Speedway News and Speedway World) dating back to 1934, all wrapped in brown paper parcels and indexed. When I got married in 1969 and came back from my honeymoon, my mother informed me that she had had a clearout for me "and had thrown all those old papers into the dustbin!!!!!!"

OUCH!!! :shock::shock::shock::nono::nono::nono:

I have replied to your PM.

Best.

Ian.

I left home to buy my first house and my mum cleared out alot of my speedway memorabilia i was gutted.I have recovered some of it over the years but alot of special stuff i have still not replaced and a old Swindon Robins racejacket with Briggs name on it was one of the items.😤

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

Original Race jackets can be very hard to replace. In the past year I've obtained genuine Wembley jackets from 1970 & 71. They were the first I've ever seen for sale in 40 years of collecting. Both jackets came to me via friends, not the open market, which is usually the case.

• Like 2

Race jackets i loved the old versions no thrills my favourite i suppose was the Halifax Dukes jacket.I always felt riders then looked more like team riders and they had there own individual leathers John Davis would take some beating in that department and also his aquipment was superb.

• Like 1

Race jackets i loved the old versions no thrills my favourite i suppose was the Halifax Dukes jacket.I always felt riders then looked more like team riders and they had there own individual leathers John Davis would take some beating in that department and also his aquipment was superb.

I am with you on that Sidney. :t::approve::approve:

I'd go along with that, JD / Mavies looked well cool rocking his distinctive silver & black look. My own jury is out re; team suits / body colours arguement. One the one hand body colours seem more team thing somehow and do match, on the other very few team suits match. It's true; many have differring trims & placement of logos, even different shade of colour, heck I'm partially colour blind and even I can tell the difference. And I don't mean following a 'too hot wash' either, some don't even match on press day, I know often different manufacturers are used within the same team but no excuse with modern technology available. Either match 'em up or don't bother. Or wear body colours as well.

Back on topic though, I also thinned out much of my 'speedway stuff', culling stuff that is less relevant or of interest to me. Once saw a local news story about an old boy that had passed away and his family were off-loading the guy's train collection, he was a railway buff. Railway buff is putting it mildly - the collection was professionally catalogued and the guy had every single item produced by Hornby (of his chosen gauge) incorporated in his layouts + 2 of everything still boxed and mint. Now that is collecting....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 2

I'd go along with that, JD / Mavies looked well cool rocking his distinctive silver & black look. My own jury is out re; team suits / body colours arguement. One the one hand body colours seem more team thing somehow and do match, on the other very few team suits match. It's true; many have differring trims & placement of logos, even different shade of colour, heck I'm partially colour blind and even I can tell the difference. And I don't mean following a 'too hot wash' either, some don't even match on press day, I know often different manufacturers are used within the same team but no excuse with modern technology available. Either match 'em up or don't bother. Or wear body colours as well.

Back on topic though, I also thinned out much of my 'speedway stuff', culling stuff that is less relevant or of interest to me. Once saw a local news story about an old boy that had passed away and his family were off-loading the guy's train collection, he was a railway buff. Railway buff is putting ity mildly - the collection was professinally catalogued and the guy had every single item produced by Hornby (of his chosen gauge) incorporated in his layouts + 2 of everything still boxed and mint. Now that is collecting....

...makes my model railway look insignificant in comparison!