British Speedway Forum
Gresham

This Sums Up The State Of British Speedway For Me...

Somerset's first year in the top league has been a struggle. The inconsistent fixture list with massive gaps is a joke and I am not sure how that came about to be as bad as it was with all fixtures crammed into the end of August it seems. Somerset almost HAD to move up due to the geographical nature of the setup of the two leagues, which I completely understand, but that brought with it the issues of the weekend of SGP's accounting for certain riders missing more often than they appeared at the OTA. Add that to other rider availability issues of doubling up etc it was a complete mess. Other teams also tried to bully the 'new boys' into fulfilling fixtures at certain times to suit them it seemed to me. I don't think one match all season happened at the OTA without a guest or R/R on one or both sides which is wrong for everyone.

These problems were hardly a surprise based on the last couple of seasons. Not being able to deal with, or at least accept, them suggests that the promotion were ill-equipped for the PL.

Seems a long time ago that Somerset was the place to be, massive crowds in the PL against the likes of the IOW, best racing surface in the Country, brilliantly organized, did everything right.

How times have changed.

Publicly lambasting your customers is never good business sense.

Which I think is ultimately British Speedway's weakness, there's no strategy to actually grow the sport. A CEO figure running the show might help things a bit.......

This was tried, with Maurice Ducker, but he gave up when there were no brick walls left to bang his head against.

in the 1970's and 80's, Wimbledon used to run a weekly supporters club night throughout the winter. These events were very well attended, and included a darts league and quiz nights. It's hard to imagine this kind of thing ever happening again.

NSSC do this now, the only difference is that its every two weeks and its all year. And its well supported, certainly when they do quizzes and have certain riders/promoters their who are known to give very open and honest opinions.

It doesn't look like Peter Collins will be doing it at the NSS this winter or perhaps never, according to the piece in this weeks SS. It's crying shame if older riders who served the club well are not welcome.

It doesn't look like Peter Collins will be doing it at the NSS this winter or perhaps never, according to the piece in this weeks SS. It's crying shame if older riders who served the club well are not welcome.

I totally agree with you.

Why is PC not welcome by the way?

I totally agree with you.

Why is PC not welcome by the way?

Face doesn't fit with the new owners it seems.

Face doesn't fit with the new owners it seems.

That, if correct, is a downright disgrace. One of our finest ever Riders (Belle Vue and England), former World Champion. No the wonder Speedway is in a state if we can't give true prominence to a former 'GREAT' of the Sport.

• Like 2

The ‘Cases’ Somerset Rebels have been forced to cancel their end of season dinner and rider presentation night due to take place on Friday night, the evening having already having been postponed from earlier in the month, an exasperated Debbie Hancock explaining the reasons behind the decision;

“For the second, and final time, the ‘Cases’ Somerset Rebels will cancel their end of season party due to take place this Friday (27th October).

“I am very disappointed to have to do this, it being the first ever year we’ve had had to cancel the event, but once again several things have contributed to this decision.”

“Ticket sales have been well down compared to previous years, something I am pretty unhappy about as fans have moaned in the past that tickets over the last few years have been expensive, albeit that the meal has consisted of a two-course dinner, so having listened to the fans feedback, we decided to give the them what they had been asking for, namely a buffet with a disco and we reduced the tickets to just £10, but despite this, the fans have still not supported the event, so I fail to see what else we can do.”

“Then, for one reason or another, you get riders who either do not want to attend, want to be paid to attend, or cannot attend due having to ride in to meaningless fixtures which are still being run at this late in the season!”

“So, in short, things have just got to the stage where it has become stupid to carry on with the evening; a lot of effort into planning and arranging this event, but if the fans cannot be bothered to attend, then why should the club and its promotion bother to arrange it, it is just something else fans will lose.”

“In saying all that, I would, however, like to say a personal congratulation to Richard Lawson who was voted as the fans’ Rider of the Year. He has been a great person to work with and he is the victim of Friday night’s meaningless fixture as he has to ride for Glasgow, so well-done Richard, a well-deserved accolade.”

“Finally, I would like to thank the few fans who did buy tickets to support Friday’s event, and would ask that they contact Di Phillips, and not the Oaktree, for a full refund.”

Then the comments from fans followed...as you can guess, they weren't amused.

Even better was Richard Lawson commenting...Quote..

Richard Lawson Debbie Hancock Thanks for my award ... I don't think you were having a pop at me I get your point about it being meaningless. I don't think there is any need for these comments. Would of been a good night anyway.. Don't worry Aussie soon for you

Thanking the promoter for the award...voted for by the fans. No mention of thanks to the fans. And then to rub it in...'Off to Oz soon, so not to worry'...

You really couldn't make it up.

Perhaps the promotors should work out why the fans don't want to attend. Perhaps they've had enough of such a poorly run season with poor fixture planning, guests, rr's etc...and have sussed that the riders don't actually care about the fans.

Paid to attend...really? Give something back to the fans that pay the wages surely?

Isn't he saying that She is off to Oz soon so not to worry?...."Don't worry Aussie soon for you"

• Like 1

That, if correct, is a downright disgrace. One of our finest ever Riders (Belle Vue and England), former World Champion. No the wonder Speedway is in a state if we can't give true prominence to a former 'GREAT' of the Sport.

It's very sad. Like many Aces fans of the 70's Peter was one of my all time favourites. However, there are two sides to this story which you will find explained in the Peter Collins Article topic. The other side of the story does put a different complexion on things. The new owners did try to resolve matters but I would still like to think that during the winter Peter and the new promoters can somehow reach a compromise. Edited by Aces51

It's very sad. Like many Aces fans of the 70's Peter was one of my all time favourites. However, there are two sides to this story which you will find explained in the Peter Collins Article topic. The other side of the story does put a different complexion on things. The new owners did try to resolve matters but I would still like to think that during the winter Peter and the new promoters can somehow reach a compromise.

Let's hope so, cos that would mean one less thing that waytogo28 can't exploit for his own current obsession with anything speedway.

Seems a long time ago that Somerset was the place to be, massive crowds in the PL against the likes of the IOW, best racing surface in the Country, brilliantly organized, did everything right.

How times have changed.

Woah their cowboy...don't let one frustrated rant by the promoter make you think Somerset is badly run...far from it.

It's still a great racing track, run well and with passion.

I get the impression that the move up has been frustrating...not just for fans but the promotion as well.

Little Somerset has no say in any matters of importance is the message I'm getting.

You can have all the passion in the world for a sport, but once the politics gets a hols, it can kill any passion and frustrate the hell out of you.

Been there in another sport. I'd completely understand if they dropped down or even walked away.

• Like 5

Woah their cowboy...don't let one frustrated rant by the promoter make you think Somerset is badly run...far from it.

It's still a great racing track, run well and with passion.

I get the impression that the move up has been frustrating...not just for fans but the promotion as well.

Little Somerset has no say in any matters of importance is the message I'm getting.

You can have all the passion in the world for a sport, but once the politics gets a hols, it can kill any passion and frustrate the hell out of you.

Been there in another sport. I'd completely understand if they dropped down or even walked away.

They'd probably need to have a lot of multi-meeting tours if they moved down.

in the 1970's and 80's, Wimbledon used to run a weekly supporters club night throughout the winter. These events were very well attended, and included a darts league and quiz nights. It's hard to imagine this kind of thing ever happening again.

Peterborough Panthers Speedway Supporters Club runs social evenings throughout the year including regular Quiz and Darts nights, they are generally well attended and at our end of season party the other night (which was a total sell out) we had most of the team and all the management attend.

It can be done and does work at some clubs.

Any such person would have to be appointed by, paid by and report to those very same promoters.

With their myriad of manifest personality disorders.

How would that change anything ?

ONLY if the man in charge was given completely autonomy. The Chief Executive of soccer's Premier League doesn't have to consult the owners of the clubs every time he makes a decision.

HE is welcome as explained on the Peter Collins article thread

• Like 3