British Speedway Forum
Gresham

This Sums Up The State Of British Speedway For Me...

The ‘Cases’ Somerset Rebels have been forced to cancel their end of season dinner and rider presentation night due to take place on Friday night, the evening having already having been postponed from earlier in the month, an exasperated Debbie Hancock explaining the reasons behind the decision;

“For the second, and final time, the ‘Cases’ Somerset Rebels will cancel their end of season party due to take place this Friday (27th October).

“I am very disappointed to have to do this, it being the first ever year we’ve had had to cancel the event, but once again several things have contributed to this decision.”

“Ticket sales have been well down compared to previous years, something I am pretty unhappy about as fans have moaned in the past that tickets over the last few years have been expensive, albeit that the meal has consisted of a two-course dinner, so having listened to the fans feedback, we decided to give the them what they had been asking for, namely a buffet with a disco and we reduced the tickets to just £10, but despite this, the fans have still not supported the event, so I fail to see what else we can do.”

“Then, for one reason or another, you get riders who either do not want to attend, want to be paid to attend, or cannot attend due having to ride in to meaningless fixtures which are still being run at this late in the season!”

“So, in short, things have just got to the stage where it has become stupid to carry on with the evening; a lot of effort into planning and arranging this event, but if the fans cannot be bothered to attend, then why should the club and its promotion bother to arrange it, it is just something else fans will lose.”

“In saying all that, I would, however, like to say a personal congratulation to Richard Lawson who was voted as the fans’ Rider of the Year. He has been a great person to work with and he is the victim of Friday night’s meaningless fixture as he has to ride for Glasgow, so well-done Richard, a well-deserved accolade.”

“Finally, I would like to thank the few fans who did buy tickets to support Friday’s event, and would ask that they contact Di Phillips, and not the Oaktree, for a full refund.”

Then the comments from fans followed...as you can guess, they weren't amused.

Even better was Richard Lawson commenting...Quote..

Richard Lawson Debbie Hancock Thanks for my award 😬... I don't think you were having a pop at me I get your point about it being meaningless. I don't think there is any need for these comments. Would of been a good night anyway.. Don't worry Aussie soon for you

Thanking the promoter for the award...voted for by the fans. No mention of thanks to the fans. And then to rub it in...'Off to Oz soon, so not to worry'...

You really couldn't make it up.

Perhaps the promotors should work out why the fans don't want to attend. Perhaps they've had enough of such a poorly run season with poor fixture planning, guests, rr's etc...and have sussed that the riders don't actually care about the fans.

Paid to attend...really? Give something back to the fans that pay the wages surely?

• Like 1

The ‘Cases’ Somerset Rebels have been forced to cancel their end of season dinner and rider presentation night due to take place on Friday night, the evening having already having been postponed from earlier in the month, an exasperated Debbie Hancock explaining the reasons behind the decision;

“For the second, and final time, the ‘Cases’ Somerset Rebels will cancel their end of season party due to take place this Friday (27th October).

“I am very disappointed to have to do this, it being the first ever year we’ve had had to cancel the event, but once again several things have contributed to this decision.”

“Ticket sales have been well down compared to previous years, something I am pretty unhappy about as fans have moaned in the past that tickets over the last few years have been expensive, albeit that the meal has consisted of a two-course dinner, so having listened to the fans feedback, we decided to give the them what they had been asking for, namely a buffet with a disco and we reduced the tickets to just £10, but despite this, the fans have still not supported the event, so I fail to see what else we can do.”

“Then, for one reason or another, you get riders who either do not want to attend, want to be paid to attend, or cannot attend due having to ride in to meaningless fixtures which are still being run at this late in the season!”

“So, in short, things have just got to the stage where it has become stupid to carry on with the evening; a lot of effort into planning and arranging this event, but if the fans cannot be bothered to attend, then why should the club and its promotion bother to arrange it, it is just something else fans will lose.”

“In saying all that, I would, however, like to say a personal congratulation to Richard Lawson who was voted as the fans’ Rider of the Year. He has been a great person to work with and he is the victim of Friday night’s meaningless fixture as he has to ride for Glasgow, so well-done Richard, a well-deserved accolade.”

“Finally, I would like to thank the few fans who did buy tickets to support Friday’s event, and would ask that they contact Di Phillips, and not the Oaktree, for a full refund.”

Richard Lawson Debbie Hancock Thanks for my award ... I don't think you were having a pop at me I get your point about it being meaningless. I don't think there is any need for these comments. Would of been a good night anyway.. Don't worry Aussie soon for you

Thanking the promoter for the award...voted for by the fans. No mention of thanks to the fans. And then to rub it in...'Off to Oz soon, so not to worry'...

Perhaps the promotors should work out why the fans don't want to attend. Perhaps they've had enough of such a poorly run season with poor fixture planning, guests, rr's etc...and have sussed that the riders don't actually care about the fans.

Paid to attend...really? Give something back to the fans that pay the wages surely?

Meaningless fixture it maybe , not Glasgow's fault though , the rain postponed the first two runnings of this fixture . Richard is a Glasgow asset , not a Somerset one , so is it really unreasonable for Richard to ride for his parent club instead of going to a dance ? Has Glasgow to be fined 5 thousand pounds for not completing their fixtures or race a meeting without their number one because he's at a dance 300 odd miles away ?

• Like 5

Richard Lawson Debbie Hancock Thanks for my award ... I don't think you were having a pop at me I get your point about it being meaningless. I don't think there is any need for these comments. Would of been a good night anyway.. Don't worry Aussie soon for you

Should have extended invites to riders who have guested this season place would be packed.Fans are fed up watching different riders every week riding for " their Team"
  • Like 7

It doesn't sum up British Speedway. Belle Vue had over 200 people at their end of season awards, which was a £30 per person. All of the Aces and the Colts were there plus the owners, Adrian Smith and team managers of both teams.

I am sure that other teams will also have equally successful events.

• Like 5

How does this sum up British speedway? It's a tiny little irrelevance.

edit - actually, yeah, tiny little irrelevance. Does sum up GB speedway

Edited by SCB

These ill tempered press releases on the part of promoters are becoming tiresomely commonplace.

Have they no professional or personal dignity?

The winter really cannot come quick enough for us all to get some respite.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 2

Why dont they book some guests to come instead ?

Nice one orion. :t::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think a few are missing the point of this.

Promotor having a go at fans for not attending and being ungrateful.

Riders not wanting to attend, or wanting to be paid to attend.

Promotor...saying 'fans can't be bothered to attend'

Promotor blaming the fixture list for a rider not attending....and that it's a meaningless fixture. I'm sure the Glasgow fans will disagree....and isn't it the promotors who arrange the fixture list? Go figure...

Promotor only thanking fans who bought tickets....what about all those that attended during the season, and many did so through gritted teeth because of the amount of guests and RR's in place.

Then Lawson only thanking the Promotor and not the fans who voted for him.

I've always respected what the Somerset Promotors have done in the past, but in this instance I find it embarrassing.

This season at Somerset has been one of the worst since I started watching them. Some fine racing no doubt...but the teams put out, irregular fixtures, so many guests and RR's has made it one to forget as far as I'm concerned. I heard many grumbles this season there, unlike before.

Perhaps the fans are making a statement of displeasure with their feet.

Why would you want to celebrate with riders who don't want to be there anyway?

• Like 6

These ill tempered press releases on the part of promoters are becoming tiresomely commonplace.

Have they no professional or personal dignity?

The winter really cannot come quick enough for us all to get some respite.

And of course - Fans who needs 'em? Not speedway promoters it seems. Or care much about the hard core crowd who stand on the terraces everywhere across the UK. Promoters seem to think that the fans should be so grateful they go on and on working tirelessly to put on the sport, never mind that the supporters don't want to buy what the promoters are selling. Or rather how they parcel it up. Should the sport collapse completely over the next few years there are only about 20,000 people left in the country who would care.

• Like 2

a more accurate summing up is at Sheffield tonight

1 meaningless fixture

2 only 1 real bear

3 ambulance doesn't turn up

imagine a first timer attending this

• Like 3

Meaningless fixture? Not for the riders, that is their chosen "job" - they ride to earn a living, and also for the enjoyment of - as Bomber says - "riding my bike"

Fixtures are never meaningless to anyone involved whose livelihood depends on them

Meaningless fixture? Not for the riders, that is their chosen "job" - they ride to earn a living, and also for the enjoyment of - as Bomber says - "riding my bike"

Fixtures are never meaningless to anyone involved whose livelihood depends on them

Any league meeting not run before the cut-off should be forfeited. it is farcical that league meetings are still being held after the play-offs have been completed.

• Like 8