British Speedway Forum
Gresham

This Sums Up The State Of British Speedway For Me...

ONLY if the man in charge was given completely autonomy. The Chief Executive of soccer's Premier League doesn't have to consult the owners of the clubs every time he makes a decision.

HE is welcome as explained on the Peter Collins article thread

That is why one man in charge will never, ever happen in Speedway.

A shame really.

Foot & Mouth from Debbie Hancock how dare Glasgow ride a league meeting on there dinner dance night.

Then have the audacity to use there own rider in Richard Lawson because she wanted him at the dance, she should read that statement back and then delete it.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 3

The Chief Executive of soccer's Premier League doesn't have to consult the owners of the clubs every time he makes a decision.

Even to insinuate relevance in a comparison with the CEO of the Premiership is hilarious.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

A CEO figure running the show might help things a bit.......

Wow. Not even an "independent body" any more, just a Don King type of character who can make all the decisions whilst the local promoters pay the price. Yeah, that'll work. :nono:

Does anyone here advocating such an approach like the idea of working 60 hours a week, and then handing your salary and the running of your household over to an independent person/body (no jokes about the wife please) who has the power to spend your money the way they feel fit, whilst under the guise of looking after YOUR best interests? You do all the work whilst someone else runs your life for you? Because that's exactly what you seem to think is the model of the relationship you want speedway promoters to have with such a "CEO" figure.

Wow. Not even an "independent body" any more, just a Don King type of character who can make all the decisions whilst the local promoters pay the price. Yeah, that'll work. :nono:.

Im my conversation last week with a promotor he said this is what the sport needs , 1 man who has ultimate say , no conection to any club but has a good knowledge of speedway and its a full time position that has a salary to match the responsibility that the job has but he says this is not universally wanted across the bspa and one member is very vocally against it

Im my conversation last week with a promotor he said this is what the sport needs , 1 man who has ultimate say , no conection to any club but has a good knowledge of speedway and its a full time position that has a salary to match the responsibility that the job has but he says this is not universally wanted across the bspa and one member is very vocally against it

Ultimately, he who pays the piper calls the tune.

What would you think should be the salary to match the responsibility of this role? Presumably that salary would be shared out equally around all the clubs? So Stoke Potters will pay the same as Poole Pirates for this guys services?

And if he's no good, who sacks him? Remember that if he's sackable, he's not really independent is he?

Ive heard Buster, on a couple of occasions, say hes in favour of an independent CEO; but cant implement it, as some other promoters are against it

Ultimately, he who pays the piper calls the tune.

What would you think should be the salary to match the responsibility of this role? Presumably that salary would be shared out equally around all the clubs? So Stoke Potters will pay the same as Poole Pirates for this guys services?

And if he's no good, who sacks him? Remember that if he's sackable, he's not really independent is he?

the national league has a different person so stoke wouldnt pay but it ideally has to be someone not universally liked because he is firm , like a john berry type person , speedways problem is it always appoints yes men, who are nice people but have no backbone when it comes to standing up against promoters Im not really sure what the salary should be , thats for the person to negotiate but like the airfences the money needs to be found

Ive heard Buster, on a couple of occasions, say hes in favour of an independent CEO; but cant implement it, as some other promoters are against it

there is a couple of promoters who want it but some of the major players dont
  • Like 1

Should have done it years ago and gave the job to John Berry. I can't understand why they don't want it. I know it's their trainset however the way they are running it they won't have anything to govern in a few years at least if they had a independent person who could shake the sport up they might have a chance of saving what they have.

Should have done it years ago and gave the job to John Berry. I can't understand why they don't want it. I know it's their trainset however the way they are running it they won't have anything to govern in a few years at least if they had a independent person who could shake the sport up they might have a chance of saving what they have.

• Like 1

John Berry I believe initially excepted the post but quickly renegaded as he soon realised that he wouldn't get the backing to carry his plans thru'...more's the pity in my view.

in the 1970's and 80's, Wimbledon used to run a weekly supporters club night throughout the winter. These events were very well attended, and included a darts league and quiz nights. It's hard to imagine this kind of thing ever happening again.

Belle Vue was very much the same in the 60's Cityrebel. Weekly supporters' meeting throughout the year. If I remember rightly, we had a Ten Pin Bowling team that used the nearby Granada Bowl as its base.

ONLY if the man in charge was given completely autonomy. The Chief Executive of soccer's Premier League doesn't have to consult the owners of the clubs every time he makes a decision.

HE is welcome as explained on the Peter Collins article thread

Didn't John Berry take on a role like this in the mid 80's, only to find much opposition to it. JB was a great promoter, but the then promoters did not want someone sticking their noses into their business. As I recall, he quite the post. Would imagine the response would be similar to any figurehead poking his nose in where its not wanted by the current lot too.

We've been looked down on for too long, expected to bow to the party line and be ever so grateful for another season of cock up's coming from their lousy decision making. Too often we hear these immortal words " Having had a good AGM, we are all in agreement with the decisions taken to take the sport forward." Its major surgery that's needed now, not sticking plasters.

Although I doubt it would ever happen, the BSPA should canvas we, the supporters, as to what WE would like to see. The methods, Facebook, Twitter etc and the weekly mouthpiece, the Speedway Star, are there for the use of.

It would be an interesting exercise.

• Like 2

Must be Chinese Whispers then because in my contact with Buster and in talking to those who work alongside him there is no way he would ever accept what is effectively someone else running his speedway business. The only way he is likely to accept that, is if he was not the promoter or the owner of the speedway club.

Must be Chinese Whispers then because in my contact with Buster and in talking to those who work alongside him there is no way he would ever accept what is effectively someone else running his speedway business. The only way he is likely to accept that, is if he was not the promoter or the owner of the speedway club.

No Chinese whisperers. He said it on the BSPA video, near the start of the season & repeated it in the after meeting interviews ,after Lynns last home meeting of the year