British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hunters

National League 2018

But are there enough riders to to fulfil these team places ?

it seems to me that there are too many clubs and not enough riders in throughout speedway in GB, otherwise we wouldn't have all this double up / double down business.

With regard to Kings Lynn and Coventry, why should they be allowed, one tried it last year and couldn't hack it, the other hasn't got a track to race on.

What about introducing a grading system and you can build it 1 of 3 ways say 1 a rider 3b riders 3c riders , 0a rider 5b riders 2c riders 2a riders 1b riders 4c riders you get my drift

It was tried in the elite league for one season about 14 years ago. Although it seemed/seems a good idea it caused more problems than averages as there were arguments at the cut off point between say an A and a B grade rider, and within those grades there were some that missed out because they seemed poor value within the grades. Whatever system you use in speedway it's always far from perfect and open to abusing the rules but think averages are still slightly better than grading, agree need a team building average of at least 40, preferably 42. The killer for the nl is doubling up, one rule I would bring in is you can only do it in 2 leagues,if you're good enough to ride in championship and premiership, nl shouldn't be for you.

Edited by gazzac

Swindon ran NT this year to see if the backing was there to enter the NL and I seem to recall them saying that crowd figures were just about high enough to be viable.

Unfortunately there is an interview with Rosco on you tube by Yoursportswindon where he says Swindon won't be running a NL team next year as attendance was not good enough. I think it was part 4. I was one who did attend and enjoyed both meetings so very disappointed personally.

Edited by Anzum

In that case it is unfortunate that the Team GB manager can't see that running a NL is not just a straight commercial decision in terms of the numbers attending.

Running a NL team can have the benefit of developing British riders who can become assets and then either progress through to the PL team, saving on loan fees or foreign rider air fares and increasing attendance levels because fans like to watch a rider develop through the ranks or, earn transfer or loan fees riding for other teams.

I would have hoped, with one eye on his national role, that he would have also seen that the more opportunities that exist for young British riders the more likely some will progress to the senior national side.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

To add to that list, a pre season column in the SS Jon Cook stated thier intention to return to top flight speedway but stated they were committed to the NL long term to develop thier own riders.

I presume that comment is based on the assumption that he has a stadium and track ? It's all gone very quiet about the new stadium that

was being talked about. I have always been doubtful ( in spite of being hopeful) about that, new stadiums are very expensive no matter how

modest they are.

Running a NL team can have the benefit of developing British riders who can become assets...

First point is - can someone please remind Stoke about the first half of this statement?

Second point is - I thought NL teams weren't allowed to have assets any more.

Edited by uk martin

First point is - can someone please remind Stoke about the first half of this statement?

Second point is - I thought NL teams weren't allowed to have assets any more.

You're right. NL teams can't have assets but my post related to Swindon deciding not to run a NL team and as a PL club they can of course have assets. Bewley was signed as a Belle Vue asset last year.

You're right. NL teams can't have assets but my post related to Swindon deciding not to run a NL team and as a PL club they can of course have assets. Bewley was signed as a Belle Vue asset last year.

There's no point though...look at Sheffield. No NL team there but they can sign JPB from under Birmingham's noses, just as Lakeside, in their "EL" days signed Zach W. in similar circumstances. Running your own NL team is just extra cost and faff when you can just go round picking up riders from elsewhere.

The JPB case your making is ridiculous as he is Sheffield born and he was brought through their so was always going too sign as a Sheffield asset. And I Zack's case being from Bristol you would have expected him too sign for someone like Somerset or Poole as an asset.

There's no point though...look at Sheffield. No NL team there but they can sign JPB from under Birmingham's noses, just as Lakeside, in their "EL" days signed Zach W. in similar circumstances. Running your own NL team is just extra cost and faff when you can just go round picking up riders from elsewhere.

I think that if Belle Vue give an unattached novice a team place in the Colts because they see potential worth nurturing and help him to develop, it is more likely he will sign for the Aces if offered the opportunity. Similarly, as Moleman27 has said, local riders tend to want to ride for their local club and are likely to do so if that club is in a position to offer them a contract at NL level to get them started.. That is why the Colts have a preference for local riders.

Edited by Aces51

One extra team in the championship in 2018 so it looks pretty certain that Lakeside have moved up.

Does that mean they will not run a NL team? After all they could not find enough dates this year so two teams should not be possible. :lol: