British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hunters

National League 2018

How much are you paid per hour?

That's right, its got nothing to do with me, so why should any riders pay be any of our business?

That's right, its got nothing to do with me, so why should any riders pay be any of our business?

because the sport is on the brink of bankruptcy and although the penny is starting to drop the riders will be the last to except it
  • Like 3

The sport is skint, yet every track looks like lining up for yet another season of losing money. Every year I expect some casualties, but it never seems to happen!

Probably because you and I contribute towards their earnings and we have a serious interest in the financial viability of their employers.

The sport is skint, yet every track looks like lining up for yet another season of losing money. Every year I expect some casualties, but it never seems to happen!

Where the NL is concerned, I think that is because it is generally in better financial shape than the other leagues. To my knowledge, the only club struggling badly finance wise last season was Plymouth but even they didn't get near some of the losses made in the top two divisions.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I still don't understand, if I buy a loaf of bread I don't ask the cashier what she earns but that's contributing to the store that pays her wages so why should speedway be different?

• Like 1

Probably because you and I contribute towards their earnings and we have a serious interest in the financial viability of their employers.

Where the NL is concerned, I think that is because it is generally in better financial shape than the other leagues. To my knowledge, the only club struggling badly finance wise last season was Plymouth but even they didn't get near some of the losses made in the top two divisions.

Do clubs really lose money every season? Or I that just an attempt to try get more people through the door. If you run a business and you were losing ££££ every year why would you carry on?

I still don't understand, if I buy a loaf of bread I don't ask the cashier what she earns but that's contributing to the store that pays her wages so why should speedway be different?

Because I don't doubt that your interest in the prosperity and continuing existence of Cradley Heathens greatly exceeds that of that of your local supermarket.

That means that you should be concerned if your club is living way beyond its means (and rider pay is probably the largest expense that any club has).

Do clubs really lose money every season? Or I that just an attempt to try get more people through the door. If you run a business and you were losing ££££ every year why would you carry on?

Some almost certainly do and, in a number of cases, we are talking 5 figure sums every year.

To answer your question, in purely financial terms they are less a business and more a personal hobby, with the management having the financial clout to meet the losses.

• Like 1