British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hunters

National League 2018

There will always be disparity in league speedway, not all teams have same agenda or resources.

Total combined ave of all NL teams for 2017 was 43.13 with the highest being B/V 50.40 and the lowest Buxton 39.11

To lower ave and you will lose riders who are not able to find places in the higher leagues, to high and you will make it tough for the lower clubs to complete. The N/L is more than just a development league, it is a very important part of British speedway and is where our future GP stars would start out. Young 3 point riders coming into the sport need to race against the best they can. Making the league weaker will only have a negative effect on their speed of progression.

• Like 5

There will always be disparity in league speedway, not all teams have same agenda or resources.

Total combined ave of all NL teams for 2017 was 43.13 with the highest being B/V 50.40 and the lowest Buxton 39.11

To lower ave and you will lose riders who are not able to find places in the higher leagues, to high and you will make it tough for the lower clubs to complete. The N/L is more than just a development league, it is a very important part of British speedway and is where our future GP stars would start out. Young 3 point riders coming into the sport need to race against the best they can. Making the league weaker will only have a negative effect on their speed of progression.

Totally agree...Tom Brennan at Eastbourne was cleaning up early on in 2017 at reserve but came up short when put into heat 15 against the top boys. He said himself there was plenty still to learn and he was learning a lot in those heat 15s.

He put that learning to good use later in the season but the reason he learned so fast was having to face the best in the league in heat 15.

Totally agree,I've said previously make it 42.5 to mirror the other leagues and for a minimum of 2 seasons,with the option to roll it on after the first if it looks right. Sure that's the type of figure that would allow a broad spread of ages and abilities and to allow the youngsters to move up in the averages and retain them for a further season or 2 even once they get into the 8's and 9's.Make it too low and you'll lose them too soon. Edited by gazzac

Dunno where this cost thing comes in, I know for a fact all riders at kent get same money per point from 1 to 7.

So the total average has no effect on the costs.

Buxton have also stated they are about development so if thy put a young side in 2 or 3 points under the limit, then no problem for them, not like they have masses of fans to lose so not having a winning side is not essential.

IOW another bad example when you consider the signed Ben Morley on 9.49, so they certainly won't want average lowering either.

If the average did come down Mildenhall would be run away winners with 3 of the top 4×3 pointers available already snapped up

THats because no club pays their number one the same as their number 6 redandyellow, teaboy is talking out of his a#*e or the person that told him is telling him porkies

‘Teaboy279’ is much nearer the mark than ‘TurnTwo’. We certainly adopted that approach with the Coventry Storm, the pay differential comes because you expect a heat leader to score more each meeting hence earn more.

• Like 1

Neil, thanks for that.

Of course riders may get extra help but as I say at least in 2017 all riders were paid the same per point at kent.

And I ll be honest I was shocked at how low it was. 2 x 4 ride maxes does not even cover a service (before parts!!)

Im sorry Neil & teaboy but there is no way Luke Bowen rides for £20 a point when it was a well known fact amongst the fans in 2016 that James Shanes was on £35

Im sorry Neil & teaboy but there is no way Luke Bowen rides for £20 a point when it was a well known fact amongst the fans in 2016 that James Shanes was on £35

Again to the best of my knowledge (and I was in the pits a fair bit in 2016) all riders were on a set rate per point. And as far as I am aware James was on nothing like 35 quid!!!! I don't wish to say the amount as I ve seen the contracts and don't think it's on to divulge private information.

But clearly you know best...

Riders do not reveal their points money normally to the public as it can cause friction in a team .But it is well known that the top riders negotiate their own rates with the promoters and it varies from track to track.... And it is hush hush....And promoters do not want it known what they pay individual riders,,so the word is they all get the same..........?????

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

Waco is on the right wavelength. It would be a mockery to a rider of bens calibre if he was paid the same as someone like James Laker as a 3 point reserve

Anyone that seriously thinks that all NL riders are on the same money per point are deluded. Look at the likes of Robert Lambert, he was worth more, & was the main reason we went to watch the young Stars.

• Like 1

Waco is on the right wavelength. It would be a mockery to a rider of bens calibre if he was paid the same as someone like James Laker as a 3 point reserve

Why would it? Each rider’s fixed costs are similar, and a 9.00 heatleader would expect to score on average three times more than a 3.00 reserve so earn three times more.

• Like 1

Why would it? Each rider’s fixed costs are similar, and a 9.00 heatleader would expect to score on average three times more than a 3.00 reserve so earn three times more.

You could argue the same about the top leagues.

I wonder if Craig Cook is paid the same amount per point as Jack Smith or whether Zach Wajtknecht got the same as Jason Doyle.

In my experience, the number of points that a rider can score has little to do with the amount he gets per point.

• Like 3

You could argue the same about the top leagues.

I wonder if Craig Cook is paid the same amount per point as Jack Smith or whether Zach Wajtknecht got the same as Jason Doyle.

In my experience, the number of points that a rider can score has little to do with the amount he gets per point.

Birmingham's Structure was around

£12 reserves

£15-18 second string

£20-22 heat laeder

£30 Number1/Captain

Edited by redandyellow
  • Like 1

Redandyyellow is about right with that assessment ,though there is a difference from club to club according to finances,,, some as low as ten pound a point for some riders...

Edited by waco