British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

Which British Pioneer Had The Longest Career

Guest compost

The thread about the 'longest post war career' got me wondering which of the pioneers from 1928 and 1929 had

a - the longest career, and

b - the longest League career (and I will allow 1 year to be added to their tally for each war year in which they actually rode)

This applies to British racing only.

Any ideas ?

For starters on the above mentioned thread I said about Jack Parker. He raced in 1929 and retired during 1954 and rode at Belle Vue at least once in each war year. So he has (if my mental maths is correct) a-27 years and b-26.

His brother Norman I have as a-25 & b-24.

Was there anyone else who was a pioneer who rode more than Jack ? (the 2 others I can think of are Geoff Pymar who started around 1932 and Wal Morton who started later in the 30's, both went on longer but aren't pioneers in this context).

Cheers.

In terms of start and finish dates (1929-63), Phil Bishop would be a candidate. However, his appearances post-1949 were sporadic to say the least.

Arthur Atkinson rode in 1928, and was still riding in 1953.

Steve

Guest compost

I'd forgotten about Phil Bishop, and yes his league career was a bit patchy (I have his first league match being in 1930, 1929 he was with non-league High Beech, and his last was in 1959 - although as you say he had missed a number of years before making that comeback).

Arthur Atkinson was a surprise though he had missed the 40's (I think he was promoter at Bradford (?) for a while which stopped him racing).

Thanks for the replies.

I think the prize has to go to Jack Parker. Phil Bishop wasn't technically a pioneer as he didn't ride in 1928, though I note you mention 1929 in you op, compost, but even taking that into account his career really came to an end in 1950. He only had a few one-off meetings between then and 1959. Jack Parker remained a regular team rider until 1954 and actually rode later than Phil Bishop with a one-off meeting in 1968, when he "beat" Malcolm Simmons in Speedway in Britain's 40th anniversary meeting.

One other rider worthy of mention would be Ron Johnson, who rode regularly in Britain in 1928 (though actually started earlier in Australia). He continued on and off until 1961 and even returned for another go in 1963.

One other rider worthy of mention would be Ron Johnson, who rode regularly in Britain in 1928 (though actually started earlier in Australia). He continued on and off until 1961 and even returned for another go in 1963.

Good call, norbold!

Regarding Phil Bishop, his is one of my most prized autographs. I met him at Plough Lane not long before Lokeren...

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

I guess that depends on whether British pioneers in the thread title means British riders only!

I guess that depends on whether British pioneers in the thread title means British riders only!

Well oficially Ron Johnson was born in Scotland,which at the time(still is so far) was in the UK :P

What it says is "British racing" not your misquoted "British pioneers".

Guest compost

This applies to British racing only.

Just to clarify I was referring to anyone who rode in Britain in the years 1928 and 1929 (they didn't have to be British or have British ancestory).

As the second part of the question refereed to League racing I had to include 1929 as it didn't exist in 1928.

Norbold,

I thought the Parker vs Simmons match race was at the 50th anniversary meeting ? Parker rode a 4 valve whilst Simmo rode a 1928 period machine (sorry but don't recall more than that). Or am I confused ?

Norbold,

I thought the Parker vs Simmons match race was at the 50th anniversary meeting ? Parker rode a 4 valve whilst Simmo rode a 1928 period machine (sorry but don't recall more than that). Or am I confused ?

I also thought Parker rode in the 50th,but didn't take much interest and 1968 was really before my time,so thought that might have been more a 'proper' race

Just to clarify I was referring to anyone who rode in Britain in the years 1928 and 1929 (they didn't have to be British or have British ancestory).

As the second part of the question refereed to League racing I had to include 1929 as it didn't exist in 1928.

Norbold,

Yes that's correct...1978 at Hackney. If I recall Len Silver had a quiet word with Simmo to let Parker win the race.

Yes, sorry, everyone. It was the 50th anniversary meeting. And I should know - I was there!!! Still, it makes Jack Parker's longevity even longer.

• Like 1