British Speedway Forum
keepturningleft

Peter Collins Article

I recently read a similar thing about tadfy Owen .he still lives by Belle Vue but cant afford to go as he has had some finacially hardship and they wont let him in for free which I find sad

• Like 5

I recently read a similar thing about tadfy Owen .he still lives by Belle Vue but cant afford to go as he has had some finacially hardship and they wont let him in for free which I find sad

PC says in the article that he gave Taffy one of the passes he did get from the promotion for this season.

The sad thing is just how petty minded people can be.

We are just talking about the cost of admission for only a few people.

It's all so low rent.

And for some reason Speedway Promoters seem to be THE most pettyminded low rent folk around.

Strange isn't it ?

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

I too have found the article sad, but not for the reasons posted above.

I have not been directly affected nor involved in this matter but am well aware that there are two sides to the story.

Hopefully, the Star will give the right of reply to those on the other side.

• Like 8

That sounds a rather sad state of affairs, is it like that everywhere? At Odsal and Halifax there often seemed to be past riders wandering around, Arthur Forrest and Arthur Wright were frequently there and Vic Lonsdale used to go on the centre green with his video camera.

Taffy Owen is at Belle Vue quite a bit. He usually sits in the Peter Craven suite with a drink along with Eric Broadbelt and Billy Powell and a couple of other "oldies"

Sadly what the one-sided article in the Speedway Star doesn't show is that Peter Collins has sadly become a very bitter and awkward man. It's awful to have to say that because throughout the 70s I idolised Peter Collins (just as most British fans of that time did). He was a god to me.

Peter Collins always receives VIP invites to major meetings at Belle Vue, but always obstinately turns them down as he believes every ride who has ever turned a wheel for Belle Vue (and there are literally hundreds and hundreds of them) should be invited to every meeting. Last year I'm told he provided Chris Morton with a list of over one hundred names (ex-riders, friends and acquaintances) that he demanded must be given free tickets, and if they all weren't admitted free, he wasn't coming. It was a logistical impossibility, but he wouldn't back down or compromise.

Sad to see the Speedway Star run this one-sided article. If people only knew the truth, they would have a much different opinion. Peter Collins the rider will always be a hero to me with godlike status. But Peter Collins the man is, I'm sad to say, a different story.

• Like 3

I have not been directly affected nor involved in this matter but am well aware that there are two sides to the story.

Why wait for a full week at least for that.

They can post their side if the story right here.

And we would all be put right, straight away.

Rather than wait and just allow public opinion to solidify against them.

As it surely will.

Edit ... Clearly there has been an unofficial reply posted.

Not sure it is the same 'story' as would be provided by the promotion.

One would hope it wasn't.

Edited by Grand Central

Taffy Owen is at Belle Vue quite a bit. He usually sits in the Peter Craven suite with a drink along with Eric Broadbelt and Billy Powell and a couple of other "oldies"

Sadly what the one-sided article in the Speedway Star doesn't show is that Peter Collins has sadly become a very bitter and awkward man. It's awful to have to say that because throughout the 70s I idolised Peter Collins (just as most British fans of that time did). He was a god to me.

Peter Collins always receives VIP invites to major meetings at Belle Vue, but always obstinately turns them down as he believes every ride who has ever turned a wheel for Belle Vue (and there are literally hundreds and hundreds of them) should be invited to every meeting. Last year I'm told he provided Chris Morton with a list of over one hundred names (ex-riders, friends and acquaintances) that he demanded must be given free tickets, and if they all weren't admitted free, he wasn't coming. It was a logistical impossibility, but he wouldn't back down or compromise.

Sad to see the Speedway Star run this one-sided article. If people only knew the truth, they would have a much different opinion. Peter Collins the rider will always be a hero to me with godlike status. But Peter Collins the man is, I'm sad to say, a different story.

Sad to hear about it, but not exactly a secret how negative he is about speedway. Always found Neil to be awkward with his attitude but a determined little rider who was good to be on your side, never gave up and prepared to press his own argument. Les on the other hand seems to be entirely different, and is held in great esteem for his riding right up through his long career, and loved by fans at tracks like Edinburgh with a special relationship.

• Like 2

i read about Taffy Owen in backtrack

VERY true. I am also aware of the other side of the story and have already expressed my disappointment that the author of the piece did not bother to solicit a view from the BV management. WalterPlinge has summed up the actual circumstances very well.

Will ensure that the BV management, if they wish, can put their side in SS asap but it may be that they want to let the dust settle.

• Like 2

It seems Mr Pairman knows something of the real story, and as he says I hope the Star will print the other side.

However i think those who could tell the true story will choose to maintain a dignified silence rather than go public with the truth which would paint a highly revered rider in a bad light.

I also have not been directly affected (in fact I'm not even indirectly affected) nor involved in the matter in any way. I'm not an ex-rider of any club, although I have been to Belle Vue's new stadium on a few occasions. My only knowledge of this matter comes from personally knowing an ex-rider who rode for Belle Vue, who is loved at Belle Vue, and who loves Belle Vue. He wants to go to Belle Vue but he feels he can't because he was dragged into Peter Collins personal vendetta and doesn't want to upset PC by breaking ranks. Because of his loyalty to PC he's missing out on what he really wants to do and that is very sad.

Edited by WalterPlinge
  • Like 1

Why wait for a full week at least for that.

They can post their side if the story right here.

And we would all be put right, straight away.

Rather than wait and just allow public opinion to solidify against them.

As it surely will.

Edit ... Clearly there has been an unofficial reply posted.

Not sure it is the same 'story' as would be provided by the promotion.

One would hope it wasn't.

I think the comments from Walter Plinge - I do not know who is behind that name - cover most of the areas of rebuttal.

BSF is not the correct place for a formal reply to the article in the Star. That has to be through the same channels as the comments were made.

• Like 2

TAFFY has a pass ...

It seems Mr Pairman knows something of the real story, and as he says I hope the Star will print the other side.

However i think those who could tell the true story will choose to maintain a dignified silence rather than go public with the truth which would paint a highly revered rider in a bad light.

I also have not been directly affected (in fact I'm not even indirectly affected) nor involved in the matter in any way. I'm not an ex-rider of any club, although I have been to Belle Vue's new stadium on a few occasions. My only knowledge of this matter comes from personally knowing an ex-rider who rode for Belle Vue, who is loved at Belle Vue, and who loves Belle Vue. He wants to go to Belle Vue but he feels he can't because he was dragged into Peter Collins personal vendetta and doesn't want to upset PC by breaking ranks. Because of his loyalty to PC he's missing out on what he really wants to do and that is very sad.

ALSO true ...

It is sad to read the article. Peter’s stance has been made and the whole episode is very unfortunate.

If I remember rightly the refusal to allow riders in free was also made whilst at the Greyhound track but was backtracked at a later date.

I would like to see a compromise which members of the WRSA have... that they can have free entry if they bring someone along who actually pays ( an adult ).

It would be nice to see a response from the new management.

It is sad to read the article. Peter’s stance has been made and the whole episode is very unfortunate.

If I remember rightly the refusal to allow riders in free was also made whilst at the Greyhound track but was backtracked at a later date.

I would like to see a compromise which members of the WRSA have... that they can have free entry if they bring someone along who actually pays ( an adult ).

It would be nice to see a response from the new management.

PC refused to accept that WSRA compromise at BV and is the reason why he turned down an invitation to become President of the WSRA next year.

• Like 1